Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239181 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #885 on: February 05, 2018, 03:40:17 pm »

Alright, people, the time has come : the very final post of the Riverguard.

Or maybe not ; there might be a debriefing afterward. Or we can discuss how we'll follow it up. Or not. We'll see ; that's all I have in plan for now.

Let's march bravely toward the end !

With his dark hair with violet highlights, his dark brown skin and his piercing blue eyes, Snamoz looked very similarly to his ancestors of the kingdom of Egapesor, our trusted ally. However, his pure white silk garment and the foreign tongue he spoke betrayed his true  alliegence to Osme's Empire.

It is a well established fact that goblin raiders capture infants from neighbouring countries to raise them as their own, and Snamoz would appear, to the traveller, as the victim of a kidnapping such as they perform so often. However, the young man had a wildly different story as much of his kind - the kind of humans that follow the demon Lomoth.

Indeed, both of his parents, and his parent's parents, were native of Osme Stobûb. His line has been working for the empire for three whole generations, raising themselves from slavedom to nobility, one step of the social ladder at a time. His great grandparents were but abductees - his grandparents were craftmen - his parents had ascended to nobility.

Snamoz was, most notabily, the son of Osta Hexcoal, the human lady of the pit of Apexjackal, ruling over a hundred souls. She had a wide descendance - five sons and two daughters, and all of them were eager to pursue the familial story.

Of all, Snamoz was the youngest, and the most eager of all. With not only the pressure of the Empire, he felt the need to perform incredible deeds to gain the esteem of his siblinghood and to pursue the familial dream of growing the clan in prestige.

With the fall of Shakenflame, Urnverses and Blushchambers, Snamoz understood he had to compete fiercely against the other imperial officers, and only one deed could surpass those of his rivals : the destruction of Watershield, his master desired dearly.

He gathered one hundred fifty warriors from the settlement of Sinshock, and marched to the Enchanted Swamp in the year 142

Snamoz looked from the corner of his eyes to his flag bearer, another human with Egapesor blood. She was like him - somewhat. Same blood of the southern humans. Like him, she had grown within the empire, but her line was not as long as his. Her ancestors did not had the time - nor the opportunity- to rise from the bottom of the pit. Her name was Nguslu. Snamoz felt no kinship toward her. For now, she was an asset - her own mother sitting at a comfortable local military office. Maybe when Watershield was in ruin, he'd marry her. Maybe. That, he thought, would probably prevent her from sticking a knife in his back.

But for now, the work was still to be done.

Snamoz arrived in the vicinity of Watershield as the sun was setting. His troops were well rested. He knew that, to breach the gates and achieve victory, he'd have to cross the green bridge, and that idea didn't pleased him well. Better, he thought, an all out battle where he could exploit his numerical advantage.

Another detail annoyed the young man. The wooden keep stood very tall before him, and through the windows, the defenders could clearly see the movement of his troops. With the Riverguard prepared to fight, no doubt that would be a tough battle - but such is the price to pay in order to shine in the Osme Empire.

However, as he approached the bridge, he came accross a strange construction. A seven meter tall statue, resting on its belly, made of pure bronze and apparently chained to the ground. Ordering his men to stay back, Snamoz advanced toward the strange artwork.

Music!

Suddently, he heard a sound. He turned in haste, fearing for an ambush, failing to realize the sound of clockwork, and the earthquake that was to come,  came from the statue itself.

The statue suddently came to life - its chains came loose and in a fraction of a second, the beast was on its feet, standing like a man. Ngusly dropped her standard and ran for her life. So much for loyalty, Snamoz thought - half a second before the creature seized him in its gigantic paw and crush him like a fly.

His army reacted like an army of goblins does - in utter rage and disorder. The bravest of them - a couple of officers, their elite troops and a dozen of trolls, rushed toward the beast, while the less courageous of them stood behind, unsure of what to do, scared to charge and scared to come home in defeat.

Odlug stood before them, slaying with a single movement all those who'd come close, sending them flying into the river or crushing them on the ground. However, alone against one hundred, the army of Lomoth ultimately managed to surround him.

The struggle was desperate for both parties. The goblins,  wielding silver hammers  and backedup by trolls, inflicted minimal damages on the living statue, while Odlug himself could not keep up with the wave of copper clad soldiers rushing at him like a swarm of hungry locusts.

The fight took hours. It is hard to imagine such intense fighting actually be a battle of attriction, but that is what it was. Deep into the night, the two evils of our world keep fighting. Goblins and trolls were exhausted, Odlug was missing pieces, and his broken leg  forced him on the ground.

"Now is the time !" roared Prince Ryukan, clad in his heavy armor, lifting his copper axe to the rising moon.

"Cross the bridge and leave no one alive !"

And to give more weight to his command, he charged accross the green bridge, followed by his kights and his army. The rearguard was so absorbed by the fight that took place to the south they left themselves open to an obvious flanking - but had them prepared, it would have made little difference. The assault  was quick and furious like a wildfire. Goblins broke at the first contact, like a clay pot falling on the ground.

Moments later, the rearguard was no more - the few survivors had flee so fast, their screams of terrors disapeared soon under the cries of startled night birds. The rest, corpses covering the wetland, and the vanguard of Osme, still fighting the injured giant.

We have lost one man, a young soldier by the name of Ostri, but the rest of the army was fresh and unharmed. The two opposing factions, however, were beaten up. It was now or never, our chance to take on both at once.

We charged.

Goblins and trolls were stuck between an anvil and a hard place. With nowhere to flee, to tired to fight, they were gutted almost without slowing us down.

We stopped for a moment when the last one drew his last breath. Odlug, the Dominant Scar was lying on the ground, like the wounded beast he perhaps was. After that treatment, the regicide beast was not that frightening anymore. His eyes shown no rage and no terror, but as we stared to the battle damaged face of the creature, we could - or was it our imagination ?- distinguish an intense suffering.

Silence took over the scene for a moment.

Last music

Then Zefer came forth, scaling the creature who was, even lying on the ground, of the size of a grown man.

He lifted his sword and without a word, plunged it into the creature's eye.

A flash of light blinded us, a warm feeling surrounded us, and when we could see again, a strange sculpture depicting three goblins was standing at Odlug's place.

We came back to Watershield holding that statue, and treasuring the jeweled sword that Zefer holded. The young captain gave him the name of Warmcrested, for in the innerfire of our defeated foe, the blade has been reforged.

As I write those lines, the copper walls of Watershield stand tall around the village. The magic statue stands now with us on the dining hall, for we finally made peace with Odlug, the Dominant Scar.

The temple to the god has been completed, and until we join our valorous foes in the watery graves of the Enchanted Swamp, we shall remain here to protect the border of the Nations of Pearls.

I have no doubt that time will erode our deeds like water does onto rocks. They were, after all, the deeds of very simple people, whose merit has been to face their odds standing still.

By writing down those words, I holy hope that maybe, in the far future, someone will find those written memories, and say to themselves

"They were the Riverguard - this is who they were, and that is what they did"

-Commander Pathril Omaaloc Anarsathet Ucim

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:26:48 am by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 05, 2018, 03:43:34 pm »

Roads go ever ever on...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 05, 2018, 04:24:09 pm »

Pre-emptive inquiry of the next N+1 forum users:

"Sequel when?" :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #888 on: February 05, 2018, 04:53:18 pm »

Excellent ending.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #889 on: February 05, 2018, 07:24:19 pm »

Pre-emptive inquiry of the next N+1 forum users:

"Sequel when?" :P

Very soon ! I want this world to live for a very long time and have a player-made history. If everything goes my way (it won't) we should follow the story from antiquity to the late middle ages, and have a vibrant world history when it ends for real.

Next story should be about adventurers, and I'll share the save when we're ready to start. Count...two maybe three days to get everything ready.

Watershield was an absolute blast for me but my body says I should rest :D

Excellent ending.

Thank you so much !

While I'm here and the fort is not retired yet, if you want Watershield related drawings now's the time to ask. Now or never :D
I have Onget on my list, I can take a bit more
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:29:32 pm by Cathar »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 05, 2018, 08:32:50 pm »

That was fantastic.  I had no idea that such an effort would work, and then the final blow was even struck by a forumer.  What more could you ask?

Well, perhaps for the randomly-generated statues to be less absurd.  "Three goblins"?  Oh, well . . . maybe it's symbolic . . .

It might also be interesting to see if the computer-controlled version of the fort does anything good once players have run a few adventurers.  Maybe a quick check-in comic.  For that matter, what's the status on your older adventurer, again?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #891 on: February 05, 2018, 09:44:36 pm »

Well, perhaps for the randomly-generated statues to be less absurd.  "Three goblins"?  Oh, well . . . maybe it's symbolic . . .

Ill redo another Onget later,this one was just to chill

It might also be interesting to see if the computer-controlled version of the fort does anything good once players have run a few adventurers.  Maybe a quick check-in comic.  For that matter, what's the status on your older adventurer, again?

Oh, yes. I assume adventurers would visit Watershield at some point anyways

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 06, 2018, 01:44:32 am »

A suggestion:
A drawing of the gate and the keep from outside, with the riverguard and the citizens cheering.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 06, 2018, 02:02:38 am »

Ill redo another Onget later,this one was just to chill
More goblin waifu!  :P
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 06, 2018, 01:01:42 pm »

The final diary of Zefer Scribefondled.
This will be my final journal entry until later in life, or until I pass it onto the next generation. I hold with high regard, as captain of the ranger squad, Odlug is no more. Finished by my hand, a blade piercing it's mechanical clockwork skull. I now hold a sword forged in its magical brain. I named it Warmcrested, a fitting name for the spellfire used to forge such a beast. Now, time for my wedding, I must leave you journal, although YOUR journey still continues.
-Zefer.

Diary of Reiner Eagleburrowed.
(TO BE CONTINUED)
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 06, 2018, 02:14:00 pm »

I'll write a wrap up for Donu.

If it's not too much to ask, I'd like a picture of the Donu/Zefer wedding. (Hopefully you didn't forget to do that before you retired the fort  ::))
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #896 on: February 06, 2018, 04:06:35 pm »

Huhuhu, don't worry, the fort is not even retired yet :D And yes I married them so no worry !
I'll combine that with the entrance picture. So...wedding pic, and Onget.

After that, I'll work on the next cover, write down the rules and guidelines (there wont be a lot, just enough to keep the story on focus) and then I'll send the bravests among you to the edges of the world :D

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 07, 2018, 03:55:29 pm »

Donu's Last Diary Entry (I'll try to throw together a wedding scene tomorrow or the day after)

Donu’s Diary
Obsidian 18th 142

Dear Diary,

I think this will be my last entry. I have been so busy recently I haven’t had time to write properly and I don’t want to worry you too much. As weird as it feels writing this, I’ve outgrown you. I’m going to become a wife soon, and my duties as a priestess have become more involved. Before I retire you for good, I did want to let you know what has happened over the last couple years.

As I mentioned earlier, my job as a priestess has grown more demanding. One of the other priests was sick one day, so they called on me to commune with the river spirits. I just hiked up my skirt and tried to make conversation with the river (spoiler alert, it wasn’t very talkative). For whatever reason, the people seemed impressed by this. Now I get to wade into the river and talk to myself once per season. Dad is pretty proud of me, so I’ll keep trying to make the spirits happy.

I think I already told you me and Zefer got engaged. If not, ME AND ZEFER GOT ENGAGED!!! [Here is an image of a silver ring. Engraved on the side is an image of a flower in silver] We’re due to wed by the end of the year, I’m SOOOO excited!!!!

Speaking of Zefer, he’s been doing really well recently. He is the commander of his own squad now. In the most recent goblin attack he led a charge behind Prince Ryukan and landed the killing blow on Odlug. During the feast after the battle I blessed the bronze goblin statue with waters from the river to clean the remains of Odlug of any lingering curses.

It looks like peace will finally come to the nation of pearls, and I will be ready to start a family of my own. Perhaps one day, I will become the high priestess of the temple. Maybe in a few years, your pages will be filled with new stories from one of my children. I’ll keep you handy, just in case.

Signed,
Donu Radiushus
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #898 on: February 08, 2018, 07:45:32 pm »

Thanks a lot Megaman. I cannot stress enough how much I liked your story, they really gave the fort a life I couldn't give on my own. The drawing of Donu's wedding is on the way, and I too hope she'll have a big family :D

Appendex one : The guests and foreign academe of Watershield

Something that I failed to mention in my dairy is how important our library was to our outer-border standing and diplomacy. While even neighbouring dwarven nations show no interest in commerce with us, they show a great curiosity for our academic and technological progress. Every so often, travelling scholars would come from all over the world to Watershield, and partake in cultural and academic exchanges with our own researchers. They would bring their own works, research our own, and hold conferences in the library. So many came that our little book storage room was soon unsufiscient to hold both the books and the readers, so we added a small conference room to the second floor.

The presence of those foreign academes allowed us to understand some fields better ; notabily medecine, where anatomical notions were introduced to Mong Kima, and optics, where the varying opacity of green glass was discussed. Maybe there is more than pretty windows and vials to be done with this. But I must admit the deliberation of those people is far beyond me ; until they come with a way to make glass axes, there's little I can add to what they talk about.

However I had the occasion to talk at lenght with our knowledgable guests and could learn a bit about their culture and customs. Most of it was not intuitive, but will be useful in the future.

First of all, the great, great majority of them come from a single dwarven kingdom, namely the realm of Kodsåkzul - the Blotted Trumpets. Its inhabitants are often reffered as Istelabo Almef, the little people of fall, because their whole apparence seems to mimic an autumnal landscape. Their skin has the color of fallen leaves, their hair are red and orange, their eyes have the color of rust. Shall we venture outside of Watershield, the Istelabo Almef are the dwarves we'd likely encounter the most. They have little settlement right next to us, but the main of their holdings is located further north, in the mountain range of Adilarösh then extends further to the north east, where they came in contact with the dark green skinned goblins of the north, and survived multiple invasions on their own.

Kodsåkzul, relative to Watershield

The Istelabo Almef have an habit to wear their hair short, and extremely well combed. However this habit is lost when they are integrated as full citizens, suggesting that their hairstyle is a sign of political appartenance for them. Once they become Pearlites, the Istelabo Almef let their beards and hair grow wild. Or maybe this kind of care is seen as a chore to them, and is only enforced by peer pressure. Which of the two I cannot tell.

The comparison between the little people of Fall and other dwarves suggest that there is, indeed, a "dwarven mentality" that is proper to dwarven cultures, and invariant between them. They do not seem to develop different habits and culture besides their clothing and hairstyle which is proper to each country. It follows that usually, dwarves of different nations understand and fraternize with each other in a fashion that seem odd and foreign to us humans.

This observation make an anthropological study of different dwarven nations a bit useless, as the difference between them is meager.

Among Pearlites, the dwarves come off as too curious and too chatty. The fact they like commerce also grants them some mild animosities in the village, as we tend to consider trade a dirty business... But overall they adapt themselves pretty well and make friends easily and are seen as a valuable addition to our population. Maybe with time they will drop their bad habits.

I shall also note that Onget, the goblin from the nothern kingdom of Bomreklaltur, share the same mentality as the dwarves, without a lot of variance. She likes pretty much the same things as they do. However, she is far less resiliant to stress than they are, and is far, far more emotional. When the goblin prisonner escaped his jail and was slain in the city, pearlite scholars reported she cried in public, which annoyed a lot of people. She appears very weak to the townfolk, which is a bit strange to us, as we tend to consider goblins as emotionless killers in general.

Onget was very hard to deal with, not out of malice but out of emotional vulnerability, and required a lot of care... but in the end, the general consensus was understanding. She was given a small room in the temple and sheltered from the daily dirty business a border fort has to get done.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:51:46 pm by Cathar »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: February 08, 2018, 11:48:19 pm »

Many thanks for more Onget, she really paints a different picture compared to all the goblins we know (and hate). It's endearing  :D
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 111