Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 448793 times)

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WWUD if not [ALCOHOL DEPENDENT]?

edit:  oh.  Why don't dwarven bodies produce alcohol itself if its so necessary?

Where do you think sewer brew *really* comes from?

Why are jewelers the only dwarves who don't understand the concept of "gems"?
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile

I think your concept of gems may be mistaken. Anything polished enough can be made into a gem, even coal.

Why do some merchants go sell their wares in HFS? (and by this I mean why do they even go there anyway)
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, there are commodities only found there, I'm sure. Plus, even civ leader Clowns like to exchange letters with people at home.

Why do dwarves elect leaders if they don't do anything but punish people for not producing or for trading specific items? (Plus, they get their commands from the manager and the Overseer [player] anyways)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So they've got more subject matter for their statues and engravings.

On that note, why are there so many engravings of humans and elves fighting, rather than of famous dwarves?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About the gems, still not getting that. Maybe you're forgetting to repeat instructions at their Jeweler's station (or maybe I've just become accustomed to select all gems en masse for cutting). If you're wondering why they don't cut all the gems at once, there are "advantages" in only cutting the most priced ones (by advantages I don't see anyone except for moods where raw gems are required, as gems are worth more when cut and even more when placed as a decoration).

There are so many engravings of humans and elves fighting because dwarves like to draw things like cheese and centaurs. At least, they're drawing the skull-crushing abilities of the dwarves' best drinking buddy (besides the almighty barrel).
Also, some research showed goblins, despite all the abductions and whatnot, are quite possibly the most boring kind of them all, after the pointy-eared elves. So, all in all, dwarves sit in the upper middle, being recognized by their tonnes of junk masterwork items.

Why isn't there a noteworthy goblin in all of creation?
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About the gems, still not getting that. Maybe you're forgetting to repeat instructions at their Jeweler's station (or maybe I've just become accustomed to select all gems en masse for cutting). If you're wondering why they don't cut all the gems at once, there are "advantages" in only cutting the most priced ones (by advantages I don't see anyone except for moods where raw gems are required, as gems are worth more when cut and even more when placed as a decoration).

Maybe I am missing something! Is there a better way than having to select each type of gem (on repeat cut) and then resetting the orders on a regular basis? What I mean is, why can't I give the order "cut gems" on repeat (and control the type of gems being cut using a stockpile, if I want to). So I don't have to change the workshop orders every couple of months.

Also seeing as there's no quality modifier for small cut gems and my jewellers don't seem to have any trouble keeping up with raw gem discovery, it would maybe make even more sense to have automatic cut rough gem orders appear (like thread or butchery). With forbidding obviously available if you want to keep a couple of each aside for moods.

I guess I just don't get the point of having to distinguish types of gem, and I don't like the constant attention it needs, when I can automate pretty much every other industry.

I'm sure I've had a few noteworthy goblin engravings - they're usually being struck down by something.

Where do the original seven dwarves, invaders and merchants come from, and why is there never any mention of them in recorded history?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why isn't there a noteworthy goblin in all of creation?

There was a short thread about Endok Glazetruth, a goblin king of dwarves.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh. Well, you should keep attention to at least some things. But if you want to automate that sort of stuff, I think you could use the workflow plugins in DFHack; although I haven't used them, them seem to do what you propose.

There might be more better reasons to have the system set up like that... but those I've referred to earlier are the only logical ones I thought of.

Those engravings don't count, as goblins always get struck down by dwarves even less remarking than them. Show me the Goblin equivalent of Cacame Awemedinade. Ninja'd... that's not exactly Cacame; with only 9 unremarkeable kills. Even a sock has more kills than that.

And in answer to your question, that isn't exactly true. Goblin Generals are named and are historic. In fact, I discovered a quite interesting thing about Dark Fortresses while poking through Legends Viewer. As for all others, all things seem small in comparison with Armok... that if I do recall, doesn't appear always as a deity to be worshiped.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Show me the Goblin equivalent of Cacame Awemedinade. Ninja'd... that's not exactly Cacame; with only 9 unremarkeable kills. Even a sock has more kills than that.

I agree.  I was just linking the only noteworthy goblin I could remember :).

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah worldgen can throw up some weird effects in terms of notable kills. E.g. I had a dwarven general, leader and victor of 220 battles (with only 2 losses) over 100 years of constant warfare, with tens of thousands of kills on each side, and how many notable kills does he have? 1. (And later, as a vampire, thousands of unsolved murders).

How many kills in needed for a goblin to be noteworthy? As Legends Viewer can sort goblins by notable kills it should be pretty simple to find one with a lot - e.g. my current loaded legends mode has a (non-cursed) 33-kill goblin, who died at age 31.

blazing glory

Yeah worldgen can throw up some weird effects in terms of notable kills. E.g. I had a dwarven general, leader and victor of 220 battles (with only 2 losses) over 100 years of constant warfare, with tens of thousands of kills on each side, and how many notable kills does he have? 1. (And later, as a vampire, thousands of unsolved murders).

How many kills in needed for a goblin to be noteworthy? As Legends Viewer can sort goblins by notable kills it should be pretty simple to find one with a lot - e.g. my current loaded legends mode has a (non-cursed) 33-kill goblin, who died at age 31.
1 dwarf kill,any goblin who can kill a dwarf is a hero

Why arn't there any pirates? (I seem to have found a thread like what would urist do?)

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's easy - because nothing floats.

Why does nothing float?

Urist McEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I like german.
    • View Profile

Because the entire world is gabbro.

Why are cats dwarvish overlords?
Also, if you've got wooden furniture in the dining hall, you have some big issues anyways.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not the Fluffy Wambler Express.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They have whiskers and "aren't interested in your wishes", clearly they're kindred spirits. And they manage to be completely irresponsible pricks without drinking alcohol first.

Why do merchants get mortally confused when there are two depots on a site?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They have whiskers and "aren't interested in your wishes", clearly they're kindred spirits. And they manage to be completely irresponsible pricks without drinking alcohol first.

Why do merchants get mortally confused when there are two depots on a site?

Urist McHauler cancels Bring Item to Depot: Item Not Being Brought to Other Depot x 10000

Why does the ground type matter so much (featherwood = no injuries, slade = insteadeath or lots of broken limb) for calculating fall injuries?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 301