Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 448804 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

Well, due to Newton's Third Law, whenever an object is pushed, it pushes back. Denser materials have more things in less space, and therefore can push back harder. Therefore, less dense objects can't push as hard. Something falling into the ground is like the ground punching that thing, and because of this, objects which are less dense, and therefore weaker, can't punch as hard.

Why do dwarves apparently run on troll physics?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Problem, DF player? It's because we're still technically in Alpha, so the physics are gonna STAY wonky until beta (10 years, or so).

Slightly related to the last question, what are DF players called? We've earned fandom title, so we should have some title amongst ourselves, yeah? Maybe Urists...
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Nico2167

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE Bogeymen
    • View Profile

Slightly related to the last question, what are DF players called? We've earned fandom title, so we should have some title amongst ourselves, yeah? Maybe Urists...

Uristers? Dorfs? Dwarf Fortress players?

Why does my militia commander grow attached to a F****** ashen training sword (and even bestows it an epic name) instead of the masterwork steel sword I made just for him?
Beware that looking into cross breed babies tend to be hella glitchy and crash the game if you save and reload the game as DF doesn't know how to reproduce what ever the god living hell you made.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Because he wasn't raised training with REAL weapons. You wasted your time with elven weaponry, so stop complaining about The Elven Master Sword. Next time, train your men with Iron and Steel.

How do the Raws work? I wanna make my own race, but I don't know what to do.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile

How do the Raws work? I wanna make my own race, but I don't know what to do.

Th wiki could help with that. There's also the modding board, complete with a small questions thread so you don't have to make a new thread every time.

...I can't think of a question to keep the thread going. Why can't I think of a question? Someone else continue the chain of questions or something.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Runehunter1212

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

...I can't think of a question to keep the thread going. Why can't I think of a question? Someone else continue the chain of questions or something.
Okee Then.

Why is it, that when I burn their caravans, murder their diplomat(yay for DFhack Diplomat Fix!), and trade them a stick, do the elves not siege me, yet when I so much as let a goblin that was lurking around at the edge of the map so much as stab a Human caravan merchant, do they go and siege me? Damn Elves and their no-f***s-given-fridays.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

Because, in your world, Elves have not spent enough time around dwarves to become irrational, merely mildly unhinged. Humans are naturally unhinged, and the presence of dwarves pushes them over the edge much faster.

Uristers? Dorfs? Dwarf Fortress players?
Psychopaths? Sociopaths? Sadists?

How can a creature consisting entirely out of "nothing" material kill a bronze collosus?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Suffocation.

Do dwarves decorate their gardens with garden humans?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

No. They decorate their gardens with actual corpses of dead gnomes.

How have gnomes become alcoholic, despite not having a civilization present to make alcohol?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No. They decorate their gardens with actual corpses of dead gnomes.

How have gnomes become alcoholic, despite not having a civilization present to make alcohol?

If you were a tiny person living in a world where everything wants to eat you and you live under a hedge wouldn't you want a pint or two to take the edge off?

Why do kobolds not take language classes?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

They don't need it. Their language is so simple, they are raised to learn all of koboldish before maturation.

Why can't I have an army of Kobolds? I'd feed em, take me for walks, and let them have as much loot as they want!

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They don't need it. Their language is so simple, they are raised to learn all of koboldish before maturation.

Why can't I have an army of Kobolds? I'd feed em, take me for walks, and let them have as much loot as they want!
You can.  you have to grab a mod or make your own, though.

Still...why CAN'T we have an army of kobolds come and politely haul away all the xSOCKSx they're so fond of without going stabbity stab all the time?
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Where do the original seven dwarves, invaders and merchants come from, and why is there never any mention of them in recorded history?
They're from the future.

Still...why CAN'T we have an army of kobolds come and politely haul away all the xSOCKSx they're so fond of without going stabbity stab all the time?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Pre emptive strike is the safest way to go for kobolds, they're trying to be Romans.

When the next DF build comes out (post 31.11), will adventurers begin in areas appropriate to their race? Eg, Humans in Towns, Dwarves in Mountainhomes, Elves in Forest Retreats, Goblins in Dark Forts etc.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

WHY U NO ASK QUSTION ABOUT BEARDYDORFS?  U NO HAVE CURIOUSITY ABOUT WHY THEY CAN MAKE ONE FULL WHEELBARROW OF SIMPLE LOG?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 301