Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1194153 times)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 131 Anticlimatic impacts
« Reply #3840 on: November 23, 2015, 07:18:12 am »

Dest Eterna looks at Kahel.
"I'm going away because some mages are trying to gather other mages to mass-slaughter and the killing mage gets lots of shards."

"Now i couldn't tell if a mage is trying to split us into separate places or gather us into a single place. Might even in between that."

Head towards the volcano. 3 Electric essences.

Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 130 Happenings all around.
« Reply #3841 on: November 23, 2015, 12:11:36 pm »

-- fail post --
?
I quoted my own post by accident instead of editing it.
Why doesn't the fail post say it was edited?
Because there is a thing where if you edit your post quickly enough it doesn't leave an edit notification. Or maybe it's dependent on whether or not someone else has looked at it yet. I don't know.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 130 Happenings all around.
« Reply #3842 on: November 23, 2015, 12:24:15 pm »

-- Thought my turn was missed, but it was I who missed my turn in the long update post. Whoooooops. --

Also, Trewque's raptors would lead him to where I am, which is by the lake. Or at least, that's where I *should* be.

And now for my action:

The meteor plopping into the water like that disappointed Jiksap. The waves - which were, upon closer examination, tainted with blood - were rather large but settled quickly. Any further research about the meteor might have to be done underwater. At this moment, Jiksap remembered some good plans from a while ago...

Channel another spell into the backpack. Then 3 essences. Look around the shore for anything interesting, but look back at where the meteor landed every once in a while.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:41:18 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: November 23, 2015, 03:07:14 pm »

It has been decided that doubling up on affinities will be ALLOWED by a vote of 13(15) to 4.
New pool has been created.
OP has been updated with minor clarification on how exactly essences work.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: November 23, 2015, 04:54:42 pm »

Keep moving towards my destination. Create two force essences on the way. Observe from the sky for anything dangerous.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: November 23, 2015, 04:59:51 pm »

((I think you have to reset the poll. Can't vote on the new one.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: November 23, 2015, 05:02:36 pm »

((also, the votes are the same as in the old one))
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: November 23, 2015, 05:09:17 pm »

((also, the votes are the same as in the old one))
((I think you have to reset the poll. Can't vote on the new one.))
(You are right. Another reason to not do experiements of replacing sleep with computers.))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: November 23, 2015, 07:02:42 pm »

Pre-edit: People voting "no, they are fine": do you really want player-versus-player combat to be a battle of essences? With unlimited essence use, established players have a huge advantage; this is on top of the advantage they get from higher stats/extra affinities/+CMP/whatever.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: November 23, 2015, 07:41:59 pm »

(Pretty sure James should have one more shard. He had one, took 7 from Marcus, gave 2 to Gambler and 1 each to Crimson and Skelliborn.
1+7-2-1-1=4. Sheet says he has 3.)
(Also I think you forgot the omnicube's luck bonus last turn. But that was a 10 anyways so it doesn't really matter.)

"Alright. Thought I'd ask since I'll be gone for a while. You take care!"

Summon a pair of walkie-talkies and give one to Grundar. Use a +1/+1 essence.
"I'm leaving on an expedition soon. There's a portal to the southwest that they're investigating and the group needs a healer. Grundar, I want you to stay here and guard the shop, maybe search the lakeshores for any interesting artifacts. Keep in touch and call me if anything happens."
Make 2 essences as I prepare to leave.
Does the armguard increase strength like I wanted it to? If not then modify it to do that.
Also get the puzzlebox full of gems from the junk box. I really don't know why that was in there.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:12:52 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: November 23, 2015, 07:42:44 pm »

((Do I really want player vs. player combat to be a battle of essences? Yes, it builds strategy. And also... Essences are a finite resource. Things will get really tense once the essences run out(another reason to make reserve magic items))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: November 23, 2015, 07:54:24 pm »

((Do I really want player vs. player combat to be a battle of essences? Yes, it builds strategy. And also... Essences are a finite resource. Things will get really tense once the essences run out(another reason to make reserve magic items))
((Perhaps it builds strategy, but it still gives a large advantage to those who have more. Also, essences aren't a finite resource—you can make up to three per turn, and they don't use anything up. If you mean within the context of a battle, sure, but there's no guarantee that they'll run out for both combatants.

With the use of essences so limited, things are more strategic: when do you use your single, precious +2/+2 essence? Do you use your +2/+1 essence or your +1/+2 essence? Stuff like that.

Also, it might just be me, but I don't really like how "oh yeah and make essences" is the eternal postscript, added on to practically every action.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: November 23, 2015, 08:02:27 pm »

((... moreover, essences limit powerful spells- the castle would never have been made if essences were that restricted.))

((This may just help your argument, but it's quite possible to make more than 3 essences per turn. 3 is just a median.))

((As for large advantage- yes, definitely. Essences are a major difference between a powerful player and a weak one. Is there anything wrong with that?))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: November 23, 2015, 08:10:02 pm »

I don't like essences at all. They turn the game into little more than a grind-fest. People spend actions laying low and making essences instead of casting actual magic or doing anything that requires thought or risk. They've completely replace the original magic system which required actual though and creativity to use. Instead of thinking of a spell, figuring out how closely it relates to your affinity and applying bonuses and negatives, it's just grind until you have enough power then nuke shit. It means whoever has more time to grind wins most of the time instead of who's more skilled and creative.

The problem essences were made to solve was that there was no way to cast big spells. I think a system where we can cast a normal spell, then continuously modify or add more power to it until it's a big spell would be much more interesting and more balanced.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: November 23, 2015, 08:14:09 pm »

((Now that's well said... hm. That wouldn't work very well in combat, however.))

((I agree with the grind thing... hm.))

((I'd consider asking essences to be made weaker, but that would just mean "I must grind more".))

((Hm... ))

((One possibility I'm considering is modifier essences. Basically instead of universal power bonuses you make an essence that only pays for one chosen modifier.))
Generic Arms Race.

Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 506