Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1191869 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 142 There is always a bigger fish
« Reply #4650 on: February 12, 2016, 01:51:24 pm »

Spoiler: New Character (click to show/hide)

First action: crush some of my shards to put an extra point into Dex, then make three essences.
((Specifying stat to raise costs six shards. Five for a random one and four for POT.
Also, why do you want so much POT with all your characters? As battles show, physical stats matter more at first.))
I've edited my sheet.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: February 12, 2016, 02:04:05 pm »

Being able to dualcast would give you a huge advantage over everyone who couldn't.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: February 12, 2016, 02:27:19 pm »

Here is my proposed fix to multicasting. Instead of giving each successive spell in a turn another -1, we count the number of spells you're trying to cast then give that penalty to all spells.
Example:
1 spell? (CMP 5, POT 5)
2 spells? (CMP 5-1, POT 5-1), (CMP 5-1, POT 5-1)
3 spells? (CMP 5-2, POT 5-2), (CMP 5-2, POT 5-2), (CMP 5-2, POT 5-2)
Etc.
Instead of the current:
(CMP 5, POT 5), (CMP 5-1, POT 5-1), (CMP 5-2, POT 5-2), Etc.

It makes sense because if you're casting multiple spells in a turn you have to rush each spell. This change would hopefully make multicasting balanced enough to reintroduce to normal combat. It would also interfere with essence production and stop people from adding "and make 2 essences" to the end of each turn, which is the opposite of a problem in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:32:18 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: February 12, 2016, 02:54:12 pm »

Here is my proposed fix to multicasting. Instead of giving each successive spell in a turn another -1, we count the number of spells you're trying to cast then give that penalty to all spells.
Example:
1 spell? (CMP 5, POT 5)
2 spells? (CMP 5-1, POT 5-1), (CMP 5-1, POT 5-1)
3 spells? (CMP 5-2, POT 5-2), (CMP 5-2, POT 5-2), (CMP 5-2, POT 5-2)
Etc.
Instead of the current:
(CMP 5, POT 5), (CMP 5-1, POT 5-1), (CMP 5-2, POT 5-2), Etc.

It makes sense because if you're casting multiple spells in a turn you have to rush each spell. This change would hopefully make multicasting balanced enough to reintroduce to normal combat. It would also interfere with essence production and stop people from adding "and make 2 essences" to the end of each turn, which is the opposite of a problem in my opinion.

Great suggestion. I support this.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: February 12, 2016, 03:14:38 pm »

((So I'm dead now? I didn't even get to mess with the wings.  Oh well, I think I'm going to drop out now.))
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: February 12, 2016, 03:19:56 pm »

--snip--
What's the current problem with multicasting? Is it that the first spell having no penalties is really that game-breaking? Sorry, but this just discourages multicasting and essence creation as a whole and would just slow the game down.

Also, no more essence roulette (all of them fail). And if someone never gets to cast the second spell, that player would still get a penalty just for trying, which doesn't feel fair IMHO.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: February 12, 2016, 03:37:24 pm »

The problem is that it is overpowered, so overpowered we aren't allowed to use it in combat. Yes it really is that game breaking, especially for higher leveled characters. Its the difference between trading a strong spell for two weaker ones, which is balanced, or adding a weaker spell to a strong spell with no drawbacks, which is very unbalanced.

Yes slowing down essence production and preventing essence roulette is a very good thing. Essences weren't nerfed nearly enough, ideally they should be removed from the game entirely and people can actually use rituals.

Yes they absolutely should get a penalty for trying to cast two spells in a turn, even if they never get to cast the second one. They are still dividing their concentration and rushing the first spell for the chance to cast a second.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:44:05 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: February 12, 2016, 04:03:48 pm »

((So I'm dead now? I didn't even get to mess with the wings.  Oh well, I think I'm going to drop out now.))

Actually, you were dragged to the main portal by Cuberac.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: February 12, 2016, 04:23:39 pm »

Pm'ed

Fonts are a thing on the new map.
What's this about fonts?

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: February 12, 2016, 04:33:47 pm »

((Oh so I'm not dead, okay then.))

See if I can patch my wounds up somehow, probably get some demonic assistance.  Then stay close to Cuberac, and make 2 secret affinity essences
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: February 12, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »

--snip--
What's the current problem with multicasting? Is it that the first spell having no penalties is really that game-breaking? Sorry, but this just discourages multicasting and essence creation as a whole and would just slow the game down.

Also, no more essence roulette (all of them fail). And if someone never gets to cast the second spell, that player would still get a penalty just for trying, which doesn't feel fair IMHO.
+1

Honestly, if it ain't that broken, don't try to fix it. Keep in mind that most "broken" strategies are available to all mages in the arena, so they don't upset the balance of the game too much.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: February 12, 2016, 05:13:07 pm »

--snip--

+1

Honestly, if it ain't that broken, don't try to fix it. Keep in mind that most "broken" strategies are available to all mages in the arena, so they don't upset the balance of the game too much.
Something doesn't need to be unbalanced to be bad, or even broken. Essences completely change the nature of the game; you can consider that change to be good or bad, but it *is* a change.

Similarly, multicasting is a pretty big deal. It allows you to get a ton of stuff done in one turn. In combat, it would give an insane advantage to anyone capable of it.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: February 12, 2016, 05:16:03 pm »

I'm going to prepare two characters now. One for in case there are fonts of magic on the new map, and one for the case that there isn't.

((I'd recommend a color of pure white for Wayfarer. That way even if he talks none of us will know about it))

((On another note. If I get a turn while in the state between the Duck and the Turtle (A'Tuin?)))

Skeliborn

Action:

3 essences
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:21:55 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: February 12, 2016, 05:32:09 pm »

((On another note. If I get a turn while in the state between the Duck and the Turtle (A'Tuin?)))

No, and the new island is not on a turtle.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: February 12, 2016, 06:16:57 pm »

--snip--

+1

Something doesn't need to be unbalanced to be bad, or even broken. Essences completely change the nature of the game; you can consider that change to be good or bad, but it *is* a change.

Similarly, multicasting is a pretty big deal. It allows you to get a ton of stuff done in one turn. In combat, it would give an insane advantage to anyone capable of it.
It's a good thing that we can't cast multiple spells in one turn in combat, then, isn't it?

It just helps speed up the game. Imagine how far behind we'd be if everything took 2-3 times as long to make.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 506