Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1191934 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 231 The fun is just around the corner
« Reply #7020 on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:25 pm »

Doktor Diabolical chuckles, having realized something that Viznor hasn't.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: March 20, 2017, 02:53:21 pm »

"This might prove interesting... Yes. I'm not prepared, but it could be corrected... Yes. A proper test of skill is in my sight."

Stash compass paper and leave the Tower, looking at things of interest on the way. 4 essences.

((Seems like another character is ready to try a murderer road? We shall see...))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

TheLastDino

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers not to die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:05 pm »

Tell my grey goo to stop dissolving things, pick it up (or have it move on its own, whichever is most effective), and run away from the fire tree. Make three essences.
"If magic can't solve a problem, the answer is always more magic." - Whisperling

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: March 20, 2017, 05:22:05 pm »

James speaks up for the first time in a while.
"How big is that portal? Maybe I could plug it with some fireproof wood.
Just tell me how you need my help eh?"

Summon 3 random healing items.

((By the way, what's happened since I left? Last thing I really remember was the Bigholder fight.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: March 20, 2017, 07:18:09 pm »

Turn 232

2 Turns until Mage induced calamity.
Uh...
~~~
Doktor Diabolical:

"Bah. Still don't trust you."

Doktor Diabolical moves south west, bringing his bots with him. Paranoia ho! Once that's done, he has mining freeze fist bot get to work extracting stone to be fed to the mobile factory for making more mining bots. And he makes 3 essences.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doktor left southwest, he wished not to deal with the ambiguity of danger that was having another mage nearby. He did not move too fat though, and immediately ordered his miner bot to strike the earth. It tossed apart earth with it's huge gauntlet, revealing deeper layers beneath. Alas, those layers were mostly dirt as well. Aside from some random stones here and there there was no good material for bot making.

Attempt to fine-tune the mobility enchantment on my newest swarm.

Although wild flying of the cube swarm was amusing and their unpredictability could pprove usefull, it was ultimately more of a bane than a boon. Cuberac enforced the tethers between the cubes and himself, binding them more firmly to his command. The trajectories bent until they no longer smashed into obstacles but flew in circles around Cuberac. This was as good as he could manage now, they would go where he directed but they would not stop, making any fine movements impossible.

Oh dear... I suppose if I am to remain allies with my allies, I should help. Deadly poison can wait.

Mentally bookmark the location of the giant, poison-oozing mushroom. March for the tower, double time!

Chorkinaan took notice where the poison mushroom/tree stood and vent back towards the tower. He was having a bad feeling since a while ago and it was no secret that the Tower was the safest place on the island. Desert vanished beneath is feet and soon CHorkinaan was onto the plains that bordered the Tower.

3 essences

Skeliborn continued gathering power. And also discussing strategy.

"Though my affinities are perhaps suboptimal for stopping a calamity directly, I can reduce the chances of the ritual or result going wrong."
Head to the (larger) ritual location and...
If the ritual begins this turn,
    Contribute power (using a +1/+1 essence for stability), aiming to decrease the chance that the ritual goes poorly and the chance that harm comes to the tower or the people within.
Otherwise,
    create 2 essences and summon a small glass shield.

Gambler focused some power and conjured a glass shield. Not particularly useful item to defend oneself from physical damage, but surprisingly efficient at dealing with numerous weaker nonphysical attacks.

Help with the disaster-averting however I can.  In fact, let's see if we can just...clean up the portal, or set a contingency spell that cleans up magma/lava around that tree...As in, I want to know if it's feasible, and then if it's feasible we can go from there.

Does the cleaning spell send the detritus somewhere in particular?

Set up a standing action that if I don't do anything else, I'll make three essences.

Magus gathered more power. If the dread feeling was correct, he'd soon need every drop of it.

James speaks up for the first time in a while.
"How big is that portal? Maybe I could plug it with some fireproof wood.
Just tell me how you need my help eh?"

Summon 3 random healing items.

((By the way, what's happened since I left? Last thing I really remember was the Bigholder fight.))

James conjured some more healing items and they all turned out to be rather weak potions. Clearly, that breather did not help as much as he had hoped, another medical myth debunked. Well, to little surprise, lack of his supervision resulted in another crisis coming to the mages of the island, maybe the rest would had worked if it was longer but there was little time to try that now.

"This might prove interesting... Yes. I'm not prepared, but it could be corrected... Yes. A proper test of skill is in my sight."

Stash compass paper and leave the Tower, looking at things of interest on the way. 4 essences.

((Seems like another character is ready to try a murderer road? We shall see...))

Seeing that he would need more than what he had right now, Ao stashed his paper compass and left the Tower. The Tower seemed to be sad to see Ao go, because as he walked a nearby door opened into a room within which there was seemingly a monsoon raging. On the floor was a pool with lilies blooming and there was a sword seemingly stuck in the surface of the lake.

Tell my grey goo to stop dissolving things, pick it up (or have it move on its own, whichever is most effective), and run away from the fire tree. Make three essences.

Marcus did not trust the tower. He also did not like the feeling he had about the fire tree. It was not a puzzle for him, Marcus grabbed his grey goo and left towards the east, reaching the desert easily. There, he'd be able to work without worry.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 232 The sleepers have awakened
« Reply #7025 on: March 20, 2017, 07:19:37 pm »

PM's come tomorrow again.

Calamity comes in 1 turn.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: March 20, 2017, 07:59:27 pm »

Doktor Diabolical:

"You do realize that volcanic eruptions are more than just flows of lava, right? You'll also have clouds of gas and ash to deal with. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get to industry..."

Charsheet needs updating in Doktor Diabolical's case. Doctor Diabolical summons(-1) a pile of parts using a +1 POT essence, then makes 2 essences. Unless the mage comes at him, in which case, the mage gets a minerfistbot's fist to his face, an attack drone to the face, a bicycle to the groin, and a kick to the stomach(courtesy of Doctor Diabolical).
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: March 20, 2017, 11:02:10 pm »

((Considering you don't own a fire portal, ATHATH, especially one that you had no part in the creation of, I'm going to say no, it isn't yours on the basis of not being able to own an interplanar gate. But I dunno, maybe someone other than you would disagree.))
Au contraire- I had plenty to do with it (quotes of pms provided with the permission of FoU):
Actually, better idea.

Hum a GBM-boosted tune that shatters the boundary between this plane and the plane of fire in a large area, like a Planar Bard (look it up) can. Use all of my best essences on this, up to the maximum bonus that I can achieve with them.
Can I weaken the planar barrier enough for FoU to punch through it?

That very definitely sounds like something that you could not cast without a ritual.
Can I do a 1-turn ritual?

Yes, but this is less about ritual and more about simply having enough POT. Your best shot is 6+3+5=14, which might work, but definitely not in a large area.

Also, I have read the actual description of the skill. Opening a portal would take 1 minute + 1d4 rounds
Action: Use all of my essences (up to the bonus cap) to weaken the boundary between this plane and the elemental plane of fire in a wide area around me so that punch-guy can break (through) it.
Hm... That Phoenix form throws a minor wrench in my plans. Maybe we can shift the planar breach so that it will go to another, close by (to the elemental plane of fire) plane?

The quasi-elemental plane of magma seems to be a good candidate- it's close, smothers the Phoenix, melts Shias, lets me have a cool scene where I walk out of the lava unharmed (due to my ridiculous END score/bonus), leaves behind a landmark that may eventually destroy the map/cause it to be invaded by (quasi-?) Elementals, behind, and has a lot of potential for !!FUN!!.

You are aware that the phoenix is ON YOUR SIDE? Also, if you summon magma all over yourself, even your Endurance won't save you.

The dragonshout will work, though the results might be less powerful than you imagine.

Action: Once Damond sees the weakening of the border between planes, he runs to the pileup's location and punches a hole into the Elemental Plane of Fire. Preferably right next to Shias. GBM and 2 +1/+1 essences to fuel it.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: March 20, 2017, 11:09:19 pm »

((Didn't you just make a new character though? One who didn't have anything to do with the fire portal?))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: March 21, 2017, 01:09:59 am »

((Didn't you just make a new character though? One who didn't have anything to do with the fire portal?))
Yeah. And? "My" was referring to me, ATHATH, not one of my characters.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: March 21, 2017, 01:22:12 am »

((Ah, thought you meant that you were claiming it for the fire mage. So if I understand you right, you're trying to claim ownership as a player over a construct that exists solely in a game because your character, who died if I remember right, enabled FoU's character, who also died I think, to actually tear the hole between planes?))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: March 21, 2017, 09:32:38 am »

((Hey @DreamerGhost, do I get an answer to my questions?))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:29 am »

((Hey @DreamerGhost, do I get an answer to my questions?))
{I can't find them. May you repeat them?}

Yeah. And? "My" was referring to me, ATHATH, not one of my characters.

{Staph with the metagaming. Pls. Staph.}

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: March 21, 2017, 10:19:36 am »

Help with the disaster-averting however I can.  In fact, let's see if we can just...clean up the portal, or set a contingency spell that cleans up magma/lava around that tree...As in, I want to know if it's feasible, and then if it's feasible we can go from there.

Set up a standing action that if I don't do anything else, I'll make three essences.

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: March 21, 2017, 12:28:12 pm »

{Oh. I figured those were for people making the group spell at the moment, since answers to all of those depend on what magic you decide to use. Basically, the answer is "Do you want it to? Then yes."}
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 506