Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1191946 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 232 The sleepers have awakened
« Reply #7050 on: March 24, 2017, 11:17:39 am »

Turn 233

Doktor Diabolical:

"You do realize that volcanic eruptions are more than just flows of lava, right? You'll also have clouds of gas and ash to deal with. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get to industry..."

Charsheet needs updating in Doktor Diabolical's case. Doctor Diabolical summons(-1) a pile of parts using a +1 POT essence, then makes 2 essences. Unless the mage comes at him, in which case, the mage gets a minerfistbot's fist to his face, an attack drone to the face, a bicycle to the groin, and a kick to the stomach(courtesy of Doctor Diabolical).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doktor did not care all that much about lava as it would take ages to reach him. Well, about fifteen minutes really, but he'd have to deal with volcanic smoke before that. Oh well, he knew how to do it, he had dealt with smog long enough to have methods for it. This pile of parts that he had just conjured would go a long way to dealing with it.

((Another sleeper hath awakened!))

Play essence roulette, because what better way is there to jump back in after a hiatus?

Redrum continued collecting power, not minding too much about how much of it slipped out of it hands. In fact, it was somewhat of a good thing, as this could be chalked up as him doing his necromantic duty, making the world a deader place one patch of swamp at a time.

Form 2 essences and head north once more.

Cuberac left the stones and the desert, moving northwards, away from all the heat. The heat did indeed lessen as he ventured, but now he was surrounded by humidity and mushrooms. It was not that much of an improvement.

go get my shovel, continue pushing the mud into the hole, searching for the other circle things as i do this

Seva went down the ladder and began looking for his shovel. It wasn't too far away, though half of it was submerged, mud still sticking to it and dragging it down. That shouldn't had been happening though... Unless there was something heavier than mud sticking to the shovel. Indeed there was. A heavy key of some metal alloy had been caught by the mud and stuck onto the shovel. Seva pocketed it for later and went back up a floor to finish clearing away mud. Soon, there was none left and Seva inspected glowing emerald he found in the dirt. Or at least it seemed like an emerald, they really weren't supposed to glow like this.

((All right, here goes. This is the full plan for stopping the volcano.

Viznor-speak will not be included in this post, because as nice as it is to not be a tad meta, it'd just end up giving everyone a headache.))

Time to coordinate the massive disaster-averting spell. Hoping to make a permanent solution here.

The affinities we have:

Aether (2X)
Summoning (2X)
Healing
Physicality
Blades
Luck
Glass (from item)

Use my yes/no book to check for subterfuge, as per usual. If anyone is hijacking or otherwise messing with it, disallow them from contributing and direct more power to parts of the spell that don't use their affinity to compensate.

With that in mind...

Let's weave a sort of magical shell around the portal-tree, essentially a construct designed to contain everything inside (and prevent outside interference). It should have...

Containment stuff:

-A physicality/binding system which keeps all material which exits the portal from leaving its immediate vicinity. This includes fire, gas, ash, etc. Physicality will alter the properties of the stuff such that it condenses itself and becomes exceedingly heavy. Viscous, too, if not outright solid. Binding is used to augment this and to prevent it from moving altogether.

-An aether system which prevents buildup via some sustainable means. Fold it into the aether if that's safe and secure, or just toss it into a useless world nobody cares about. Include a summoning outgrowth which actually extends into the portal and calls heat and excess material back from whence it came.

-A healing and binding system which aims to slowly repair the big hole in reality. Not the whole thing at once, just try and make something which will slowly wear it down at the edges.

Security stuff:

-A luck system which decreases the likelihood of system failure and/or other calamities from the plane of fire in the future.

-Use aether, physicality, summoning, healing and binding affinities to make a physical anti-tampering shell (which should also act as a last line of defense if the magma is too much for the containment systems to handle). Let's go with summoned adamantine, melded together and made as durable as possible by physicality. Aether affinity is used to counteract magical interference or attacks, and healing will ideally make it repair itself if by some miracle there is a breach.

-A knowledge system which coordinates the various other systems, plus sends out alerts on the council video channel if something goes wacky.

Join the tower congregation and contribute to the spell! 5 +1 pot and 5 +1 cmp essences!
participate in the ritual combined spell
5 +1/+1 essences

Flicker through the active mages on the orb, checking for anyone that might be directly responsible for the calamity.
Participate in the spell, increasing the chance of ritual success and decreasing the chance of the tower or inhabitants thereof being harmed. 5 +1/+1 essences.

Consent to the spell.
Quote from: Beirus
Blah blah join the spell blah blah

Disasters, they were so good at bringing people together, even if the people were mages who had come here to kill each other. Deathmatch could be resumed after the encroaching fiery doom was averted. Even if they disagreed on who it should be, most agreed that there should be a winner in this whole matter.

Coordinated by Viznor, six mages began sending magic in a huge spell to ward off the danger. A cocoon of physicality and aether appeared around the tree, cutting it off from the rest of the island. Minor portals appeared on the inside of this cocoon to siphon away anything troublesome back into the plane of fire. A link was established between the cocoon and Viznor to warn him in case anything began to damage it. Tiny siphons formed around the edges of the portal within the fire tree, slowly cutting away at the edges, mending the gap that was sending endless fire through. With this, the portal was effectively sealed, almost nothing would be able to get through, and nothing at all would be able to get through before Viznor noticed and had a chance to fix things.

There was only a minor problem. The ominous feeling was not caused by anything inside the portal. With the continuous source of aether cut off, the aether draining dome around the fire tree emptied of any remaining aether. Just above it, the mass of aether continuously drained from the dome reached the maximum amount the dome could hold up without collapsing. The gradient was too much, the dome fell and mass of mix of fire and water fell like burning oil. Since it was not affected by gravity but rather more mysterious magical forces it fell slowly and flowed slowly, like magma. It covered the cocoon around the tree completely, setting the spell ablaze and continued downwards, retching earth and starting to spread all around. It was slow, but it wasn't stopping.

"Limui power... Have it tried to stave me off the path of calm self-reflection and improvement? Was I too lax in my mental defenses after seeing the wonders of the Tower and forsaking carefulness?"

Ao shook his head a bit, disappointed in himself:

"Soul shards are a trap devised by nature, for greedy and ambitious to be lured into. Even my previous training was not enough to prevent distractions from a true path."

It was decided then. He would not go for the shards and Lumui power that required them. Instead...
Next moment, there was a slight tremble in the air and then voices of other mages came, all at once, as if some kind of veil obscuring their messages had been ruptured. "Disaster", "Volcano", "Prevention", "Tower", "Ritual"... It took a while for voices to subdue and for Ao to proceed them.

"A pity my affinity is ill-suited for working alongside others..."

Then, his gaze fell upon the sword.

"Might it be the Tower itself offering help in this endeavor? If so, I will gladly take it."

Take sword and walk outside, where I may be of some help to other mages. If things go disastrously - use ethereality and appropriately empower myself using 5 essences (+1/+2).

{I don't know what enchantment would be appropriate here. Tell me and I'll edit it in.}

Ao took the sword from the water and marveled at how the sword had left a wound in the water's surface. There was a pit into which water refused to flow. How strange. Outside the tower, however, there were even stranger things afoot. Where the tree under the purple dome used to be now was a smaller dome glowing orange. The orange was spreading.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 233 Surprise!
« Reply #7051 on: March 24, 2017, 12:07:30 pm »

Move up one tile, and form an essence.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: March 24, 2017, 12:12:52 pm »

((Wait, so to be clear, there is no portal (that we didn't seal) sending white-hot magma in, there was just a huge buildup of white-hot magma waiting to be released? Or is there a portal we missed?))
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:16 pm »

((Wait, so to be clear, there is no portal (that we didn't seal) sending white-hot magma in, there was just a huge buildup of white-hot magma waiting to be released? Or is there a portal we missed?))

{The former. Also, the magma is magic.}
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: March 24, 2017, 01:06:53 pm »

Enchant? SPD all the way!

Use the sword: test its power by slashing a deep cut in the ground through which liquid should refuse to flow. If successful, do so at maximum scale possible, averting doom from encroaching onto the Tower while letting it splash outwards!

((Hope I guessed it right; can I change sword action mid-way if it does not work?))

Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: March 24, 2017, 01:33:39 pm »

Erm... Perhaps with an additional spell, we could bind the magma into the range of escaping matter to be pulled into the portal? Perhaps I might be able to cause the magma to gravitate somewhere it'd be less harmful? Ideas, people, we need them fast!

Ooohh, and perhaps I could turn the cocoon around the portal semipermeable! That is to say, the magma could flow in, but not out.
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: March 24, 2017, 01:59:42 pm »

"Our best hope is getting it away from us, instead of trying to contain it. I could travel somewhere far away and try to summon the source, or we can collectively cast a spell to toss it into space.
Worst case scenario we pack up and move somewhere else."

What made this happen anyway?"
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: March 24, 2017, 02:14:21 pm »

"The dome around the portal preventing it from letting out so much power that it incinerated everything around it couldn't store any more power and collapsed. We could transport it, but it would require more power than we have ever gathered before, and the time to gather that power."

((225 POT is how much we'd need.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: March 24, 2017, 03:18:25 pm »

Viznor's eyes widen as the aether-collection dome collapses, and his usual composure wavers. Then he sees the magma flowing relentlessly across the island, and dignity is exchanged for the slightest bit of hysteria.

"Damn it, Jase! You could have done anything else, and yet you decided to stuff a constant flow of aether into a limited container!?

Chorkinaan, there is no way in the multiverse that we can alter or even manipulate the entirety of that aether. Something indirect...

We alter its path, maybe. Give it a riverbed to flow down. That could work?

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: March 24, 2017, 03:40:07 pm »

Either we manually dig a channel or create a non-physical one; either way, it's not going to be easy. I could try and create something aura-style which alters the magma's properties of movement, and I suppose binding could work its way into that, but beyond all that I'm out of ideas.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:48 pm »

"Redirecting it could work. If it gets too close,we could go for riskier plays. A magma-safe seed or material that feeds on magic to grow might be able to suffocate it, for example. Eat the magic and grow over the remainder. Of course, that'll have its own problems."
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: March 24, 2017, 04:02:51 pm »

"It might have been easier to do something effective if you hadn't given us the wrong target, Viznor. Take a deep breath and calm yourself. If you want to bicker about it, I will make time for it after this is dealt with."

"It is still aether. I can get rid of it, but it will take time. Any attempt to control it's movement or slow it down would be helpful."
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: March 24, 2017, 04:09:01 pm »

Well, you heard the man, we slow the flow, he gets ready to stop it. You're the master spell-coordinator, Vizzy; what's the plan?

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: March 24, 2017, 07:49:04 pm »

So before we finalize any plans, I would like to point out that this thing will likely be spewing out ash and smoke and if we die from suffocation before we can stop the magma then we won't be able to finish the spell.

With that in mind, I would like to suggest a two pronged approach, the first prong will consist of a group of mages who shall deal with stopping any air pollution while the second group will be placed in charge of starting the neutralizing of the magma.

Once the first group has completed the air purification system then they will rejoin the magma clean-up crew.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: March 24, 2017, 10:00:27 pm »

Curse the expanding dome of doom with slowness of expansion, using... let's say five +1/+1 essences, since I'm pretty sure I have that many. If necessary, leave the tower to walk closer. If I can't cast the spell for whatever reason, play essence roulette.
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 506