Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bridges As Floodgates  (Read 5315 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Bridges As Floodgates
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 02:55:06 pm »

I usually hook up whatever I want to be in the opposite position and pull the lever before hooking up everything else.
It very much definitely doesn't work that way.  Try again.  Levers send "On" messages and "Off" messages. Not a toggle.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 03:27:39 pm »

I usually hook up whatever I want to be in the opposite position and pull the lever before hooking up everything else.

And watch half the doors/gates/etc activate, and the other half wait to get back in synch with the lever position.

All such barriers have an "open" and a "closed" state. Levers, too, have an "open" (to the right) and a "closed" (to the left) state.

When you open a lever, all barriers go to their "open" state, and sim for "closed".

If you open a door, gate, hatch or bridge (perhaps with another lever, or however), and then attach a lever, they simply get back in synch as soon as they can.

(Nice try tho', ein)

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 04:16:21 pm »

I'm glad someone else said that. That was the same experience I had, and when I read Ein's post I thought I had just really botched things up.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »

I'm glad someone else said that. That was the same experience I had, and when I read Ein's post I thought I had just really botched things up.
It has never worked otherwise.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 07:07:11 pm »

Well, if levers do indeed send "off" and "on" messages, then could you come up with some kind of airlock arrangement (ie bridge opens/ floodgate closes).  Could be useful for something.  Not sure what.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 07:18:01 pm »

People have been doing it forever.  With doors. And all sorts of weird things.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 07:19:25 pm »

wondering if I should devise a system for magma to automatically be redirected through my fortress wide irrigation and fire prevention system should a floodgate get stuck open somewhere in it.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 11:48:11 pm »

wondering if I should devise a system for magma to automatically be redirected through my fortress wide irrigation and fire prevention system should a floodgate get stuck open somewhere in it.

why not make a magma waterfall that will kill "accidental" sieges simultaneously.

redundancy is good!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 12:04:27 am »

why not make a magma waterfall that will kill "accidental" sieges simultaneously.

redundancy is good!

Well, considering how my magma pump tower is set up... the only safe tiles in the world would be the tombs in the chasm pillars.... and only most of those.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 04:10:27 am »

JFYI, both Floodgates and Bridges will destroy liquids that are caught in their path. This is useful if you forgot to make an outlet drain for a section of magma-retaining piping in your magma forge system. You can repeatedly open and close the floodgate to gradually destroy enough magma to let the rest evaporate... It's tedious since you can't just Pull The Lever\R, because floodgates have a delay.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 07:36:34 am »

Hmmm - interesting point. With a large enough drawbridge (and/or a small enough reservoir), that could make a significant difference.  And if faced with "no evaporation", any difference is huge.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 08:07:06 am »

The lever and the mechanism "inside" the lever DO NOT have to be magma-safe as long as they never come into direct contact with magma.

And if they do come in direct contact with magma, you probably have bigger problems to worry about. :)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 09:06:47 am »

It has never worked otherwise.

Makes it hard to fathom why the fuck that ein fellow would claim otherwise, even saying that they were using that method. To spread misinformation? Or is it just a pathological case of talking out of one's ass?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 10:18:27 am »

I think he never had to use it.  :D
I pity that fool.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 11:05:18 am »

I think he never had to use it.  :D
I pity that fool.

That's what I meant when I called his bs pathological, because something isn't right when you're talking about "usually doing" something that's not even possible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3