Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should libraries be set up

Single Giant library workroom. Takes a bit of set-up but once done is done.
- 90 (40%)
Specific Library sections. Books are in the library and the menu is managable.
- 111 (49.3%)
Generic library sections with free floating books. Messy, but flexible.
- 19 (8.4%)
Other: Describe (keep in mind the limits of modding)
- 5 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 95

Author Topic: Civilization Forge 3.0  (Read 221089 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge 2.80
« Reply #1350 on: November 04, 2013, 10:22:05 pm »

trying to use dfmm with your mod

needs
[OBJECT:CREATURE] for your creature_ravenman_cf.txt
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:56:12 am by thistleknot »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: June 26, 2014, 12:31:45 am »

Huh, well, good to know. Guess my initial tests were a fluke. I'll have to go through and add in some tougher material templates, then.

Any news on this?  It's been a while since you said you'd fix that...
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 26, 2014, 12:43:38 am »

Hey Meph...

I standardized the creatures for you (and that was it, no other shenanigans)

It has the added consequence of changing the pricing on leather/chitin...

But other than that, it should give great fps improvement.

Let me know what you think.

One could always change the creature_mat:animal:leather to local_creature_mat:leather, and I think that would retain value for that specific material.

derp

http://dffd.wimbli.com/category.php?id=12

Ahhh, Thistleknot, the man himself...

I appreciate your working on helping to improve the FPS for CivForge.  I also appreciate some of the ideas (like standardized leather) you implemented in your Masterwork/Civforge integration.

And, Meph, it would be easy enough to make all leather generic for CivForge in the way Masterwork does it, and just have a couple special categories for the new unique leathers, distinct from the generics.  I hope you'll consider doing this.

But Thistleknot, was it really necessary to remove the High Elves in your integration modpack?  If you don't think they're distinct enough from the other elves, why don't you try modding the version of CivForge used in your modpack (with permission, of course) to have High Elves that are more authentic to the ones in Tolkien?

Specifically, some of the changes I suggested before- greater patience, height (they are *taller* than humans in Tolkien, certainly not shorter like the standard Dwarf Fortress elves- which more closely resemble "Wood Elves"), and traits related to empathy/compassion/altruism.  The High Elves of Tolkien could be selfish at times, but tended to be a lot more altruistic than humans on average- which form the baseline for all traits in Dwarf Fortress (even dwarves are based off human standards, rather than the other way around).

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: June 26, 2014, 09:48:20 am »

...could you not call Mephansteras "Meph" when you're talking about Masterwork in the same sentence? It's confusing as hell >_>

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 26, 2014, 11:31:16 am »

Sorry, haven't done anything with DF in a while. I've been working on other projects and just sort of waiting for the new version. I'll make sure it's working correctly in the new version, though.

Not sure what I'll end up doing with the variety of leathers yet. Personally, I don't mind having a ton of different types, but we'll see how it goes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: July 09, 2014, 02:46:00 pm »

Been busy plugging away at things and converting files over to 40.01. It'll be a while before I have a release out, but I figured I'd let people know that I'm working on it.

I think the plants are going to be the biggest time sink. I need to decide what I want to do with the new system and see if there are versions of some of my plants already in that I need to tweak to make work with things like the Library. But we'll see how it goes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 13, 2014, 12:08:53 pm »

looking forward to it :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 17, 2014, 12:43:02 pm »

Things are progressing nicely. I have most of the files converted over and things are more or less functional now. Haven't tested the various primitive civs yet, but they should work ok when I test them tonight.

Minor change, due to something about the new Dark Fortresses the goblins make they have to have variable site positions or the game crashes at world gen. So I think I'll switch Violet Xelics over to having them and the Hobgoblins over to Cities. I don't care about Bugbears or Violet Xelics losing their positions, but the Hobgoblins are very orderly and I like the custom positions I made up for them.

Once I have all that working, it'll be time to get town to testing the details and modding in some of the various game fixes people have found (like reducing animal man populations). Right now I have no idea if most of the reactions actually still work, especially the library based stuff since those got effected by the various plant changes. I also need to do more checks into my plants to make sure they work correctly. Right now all I can say is they don't throw errors in the log.

After that I'll need to tackle things like the leathers not keeping the properties of the living creature, and probably streamlining at least some of the stuff down. Might see about having a streamlined/regular version of the animals so people can use whichever they like.

How soon do you guys want to get your hands on a test version?
Come play Mafia with us!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: July 17, 2014, 12:53:16 pm »

Minor change, due to something about the new Dark Fortresses the goblins make they have to have variable site positions or the game crashes at world gen. So I think I'll switch Violet Xelics over to having them and the Hobgoblins over to Cities. I don't care about Bugbears or Violet Xelics losing their positions, but the Hobgoblins are very orderly and I like the custom positions I made up for them.
According to the bug tracker, the culprit seems to be having multiple positions with CHAT_WORTHY. According to my tests, that seems to be correct - removing chat_worthy from all but the highest position removes the crash. Probably not worth it for hobgoblins if they're anything like mine in terms of positions, still, but it may help with your other civs.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 17, 2014, 12:58:50 pm »

According to the bug tracker, the culprit seems to be having multiple positions with CHAT_WORTHY. According to my tests, that seems to be correct - removing chat_worthy from all but the highest position removes the crash. Probably not worth it for hobgoblins if they're anything like mine in terms of positions, still, but it may help with your other civs.

Hmm. Good to know. Thanks!
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 18, 2014, 02:13:47 pm »

Hmm, now I'm not so sure about that. I was looking at my bugbear civ and they only had a single CHAT_WORTHY position, the Chief. The only other position was for warriors. Might require some more testing.

I'm currently playing around with some Meat bearing plants for crops. Right now the various carnivorous civs (like Dyansauri) just have No Eat/Drink tags, which is silly. Farming meat plants is still silly, but slightly less silly.
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 18, 2014, 02:17:17 pm »

Slightly less silly indeed. Will we be facing off against the dyansauri and frost giants as constant enemies in the updated version of the mod?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 18, 2014, 02:26:45 pm »

Slightly less silly indeed. Will we be facing off against the dyansauri and frost giants as constant enemies in the updated version of the mod?

Probably not constant, no. Although I think warfare between them and dwarves is a bit more common now? Needs more testing.
Come play Mafia with us!

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 19, 2014, 10:59:13 am »

Hey Meph...

I standardized the creatures for you (and that was it, no other shenanigans)

It has the added consequence of changing the pricing on leather/chitin...

But other than that, it should give great fps improvement.

Let me know what you think.

One could always change the creature_mat:animal:leather to local_creature_mat:leather, and I think that would retain value for that specific material.

derp

http://dffd.wimbli.com/category.php?id=12

Ahhh, Thistleknot, the man himself...

I appreciate your working on helping to improve the FPS for CivForge.  I also appreciate some of the ideas (like standardized leather) you implemented in your Masterwork/Civforge integration.

And, Meph, it would be easy enough to make all leather generic for CivForge in the way Masterwork does it, and just have a couple special categories for the new unique leathers, distinct from the generics.  I hope you'll consider doing this.

But Thistleknot, was it really necessary to remove the High Elves in your integration modpack?  If you don't think they're distinct enough from the other elves, why don't you try modding the version of CivForge used in your modpack (with permission, of course) to have High Elves that are more authentic to the ones in Tolkien?

Specifically, some of the changes I suggested before- greater patience, height (they are *taller* than humans in Tolkien, certainly not shorter like the standard Dwarf Fortress elves- which more closely resemble "Wood Elves"), and traits related to empathy/compassion/altruism.  The High Elves of Tolkien could be selfish at times, but tended to be a lot more altruistic than humans on average- which form the baseline for all traits in Dwarf Fortress (even dwarves are based off human standards, rather than the other way around).

Regards,
Northstar

I removed elves in my mashed mod? I thought I kept all civforge creatures

BTW all those ideas are thanks to other modders. I just opted to mix them in w civforge

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 19, 2014, 11:19:23 am »

I would just like it on record I approve of anything that improves FPS for this wonderful mod. Carryscar's been kinda having FPS issues, probably due in part to all the new stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 95