Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Ymir - City Builder/Civilization 4X/Pigmen  (Read 10344 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ymir - City Builder/Civilization 4X/Pigmen
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2019, 12:20:19 pm »

I've lost a number of games to various unforseen things before I got where I am. 

At the very least play solo mode or host your own private real-time, so you can fast forward.  Really helps the lose and try again learning process.  And err... I guess you could join my server.  The IP and port are up there somewhere.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2019, 12:42:08 pm »

Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to stick with solo until I've got a general feel for it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2019, 02:38:51 pm »

PTW, interested in playing

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2019, 08:42:18 am »

FYI: I got a version mismatch this morning when connecting to the server, there was a patch earlier--you might have to update? @Zangi

EDIT: seems to be fixed now!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:59:16 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2019, 01:16:51 pm »

Yea, I just needed to get on and update/restart.

EDIT:

Real-Time Server: Take it EZ

I try to keep it on 24/7.  Just errr... don't wipe out other active players and we good.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:35:14 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2019, 05:43:12 pm »

This seems interesting, how populated are the multiplayer servers? I like that there is a persistent mode, which would most interest me, since I really don't have time to otherwise play constantly.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2019, 09:50:12 pm »

This seems interesting, how populated are the multiplayer servers? I like that there is a persistent mode, which would most interest me, since I really don't have time to otherwise play constantly.

The official Persistent servers are almost always near max cap. Realtime games are a bit sparser.

*TBF after a few days, realtime civs do not require a crazy amount of time investment either. Its pretty easy to stabilize cities in the mid game.

I hear the Middle Earth servers are particularly good.

EDIT: Zangi's server is also great, which is my main thing atm. Real time though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:06:35 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2019, 08:20:55 pm »

With tons of activity this game definitely seems like my kinda jam, I've watched a few videos of singleplayer and the progression and mechanics and simulation seem just a perfect balance between depth and ease of introspection / learning. The economy seems really fricking cool too. I might try picking it up.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2019, 08:32:50 pm »

Woot! After you explore it, join the server! We're in need of some more peeps.

EDIT:
my town, under construction.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 10:20:02 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2019, 07:58:33 pm »

Well, I went and got it and I love it. I've always been wanting a "society" simulator exactly like this and I am stunned that I finally have it. Watching your nomadic tribe develop and slowly grow into an agricultural society with leadership, barter, etc. is probably one of the most accurate civilization-development type games there is. I love just how much emphasis there is put on minimal abstraction. Anyways I finally got up to 300 people and now am getting into barter, and now it seems I have the option of reducing efficiency to have everyone sell their own goods, or the option of creating a merchant class. I'll have to stop and ponder for a while and do homework, but I really do love it.

The whole titles and political organization thing seems really cool, like LoL, but you have complete control of the structure of your government. With politics and military affairs between large nations, this game seems like exactly what I've always wanted in the genre. I can't wait to get deeper and deeper into the game, but already just seeing a civilization slowly progress and "discover" ideas that we take so much for granted is cool.

I don't know when I'll jump into multiplayer, but right now just watching my tribe expand and learning some of the game mechanics and things is really neat, and I am pretty dug in now. The biggest plus for me is the economic simulation, how like unlike other city builder / 4x / strategy-esque games, every weapon and material is produced by someone, in a fully fledged economy, with an accurate and well-developed perspective on how the government fits in to all the little nuts and bolts. This game has so much potential, but already seems like something I can get lost in. But the economy specifically is  just what I have always wanted in a game and is truly unique. I've been wanting to make a game for a while with a fully simulated economy, and this will satiate my tastes for a while.
- Charles Babbage

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2019, 01:45:14 am »

I cannot build any palisades in my game. Do they need to be unlocked? Or do I have to finish the tutorial? It crashed and I could not continue. Also no javelineers.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2019, 04:33:50 am »

Both those require research(knowledge).  Walls from sedentary and javelins after that.  The tutorial mentions a few things before you actually unlock them.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2019, 11:57:14 am »

You get Sedentary from finishing the tutorial.  (The raising up the army part, you can disband them as soon as the mission is completed, is not a bad idea to keep the militia around though.)

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2019, 12:34:06 am »

Problem was that the mission required to build military of 20 porcs, while I build an army, which made me stuck.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2019, 01:06:10 am »

Hmm! PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5