Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 368132 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

I'm not a fan of some of the abuse that can be used to play the game more effectively. I feel it takes a bit of the fun away.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

I think there is a difference between calling someone a scumbiscuit and calling someone an idiot. One is a joking term I made up to indicate I suspect you, the other is a pure insult.

Can someone explain how insults are useful to the gameplay?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

I think there is a difference between calling someone a scumbiscuit and calling someone an idiot. One is a joking term I made up to indicate I suspect you, the other is a pure insult.

Can someone explain how insults are useful to the gameplay?

It's emotional language. Let's say you know somebody takes insults personally- call him stupid for making a certain vote and he might change his vote. Call him an idiot who shouldn't be playing the game might be even more effective, especially if you're speaking from a 'position of authority' within the community.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which also makes the game that much less fun for everybody else. Have you all ever wondered why there are so few new mafia players? Why so few players stick around? It's not like we have a shortage of recruits at any given time, but how many of them stick around?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

I wouldn't say it's particularly because of the atmosphere- as much as I personally don't like insults as gameplay, I don't think it's particularly detrimental to anything but my sensitive, fragile human emotions.
I've played some mafia.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile

From the statements from leaving players I've tended to see, the main cause of leaving is the amount of time and effort the game takes (which is more than just about anything else on the forum).  New players can easily be overwhelmed.  Heck, we occasionally see veterans find the game takes far too much of their time (see Webadict).
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wouldn't say it's particularly because of the atmosphere- as much as I personally don't like insults as gameplay, I don't think it's particularly detrimental to anything but my sensitive, fragile human emotions.
I would disagree with this, actually. Even in my short time here, I have heard a lot of new players complaining about this, particularly if they come in during a non-BM game. A lot of them get frustrated with having their every move perceived as "bad" or "wrong" and being vocally told they are doing it wrong, to the point that I make a point of never lynching someone who is on their first game, because I know how frustrating it is. The only reason I tried again was because I was encouraged by the other players of the game, and the only reason I keep playing now is because GBU was glorious and I pulled the wool over everyone's eyes (except Caz). But I think that the number of players we loose because of the hostile atmosphere is considerable.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

Do you have any specific examples you'd like to point out of players who were not willing to continue playing because of it?
I've played some mafia.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Off the top of my head, GWG, though he was a major contributed to that. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure that had something to do with Caz leaving.

Does anyone know why Org left?

Also, yes, jack, that's what people say? But nobody is going to say that it's because they are sick of being insulted, because then people will need at them and call them thin-skinned for not wanting to be insulted.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

Off the top of my head, GWG, though he was a major contributed to that.

Wyrm left because he wanted to pick fights about the rules. Last I saw he didn't even start playing.

That being said, you don't seem to have any evidence for your position. Therefore 4mask's theory. But, joking aside, I suppose we could be kinder but I don't see any reason to. Usually we keep it confined pretty well.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very well. Apparently I'm the only one who is concerned with the level of insults, everyone else is okay with it. The community has spoken.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

I wasn't saying I wouldn't like things to be different, 4mask, just that I disagreed on the effects of it.
I've played some mafia.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, Cheetar, what's with your lack of interesting traits  :P

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

Suddenly I'm struck with an intense feeling of deja vu.
I've played some mafia.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Suddenly I'm struck with an intense feeling of deja vu.
I... Don't understand. I just read your sig...
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 193