Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 368053 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread
« Reply #2520 on: February 08, 2021, 08:35:43 am »

The world's population is increasing, why isn't number of players on this subforum? Also, why has it decreased in the last decade?

Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: February 08, 2021, 08:44:17 am »

The world's population is increasing, why isn't number of players on this subforum? Also, why has it decreased in the last decade?

Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?
Which birds?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: February 08, 2021, 08:44:44 am »

This is the game of a mafia player. Not as clumsy or random as a typical forum game. An elegant past-time... for a more civilized age.

Where the game is silo'd off into its own sub-board, it only gets new players if they happen to stumble in somehow, or if games are promoted outside the board.

Appropriately enough, it appears that a variant of mafia is being played on the main games board. I'd be tempted to sign up if I wasn't already busy enough as it was.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: February 08, 2021, 12:59:56 pm »

Appropriately enough, it appears that a variant of mafia is being played on the main games board. I'd be tempted to sign up if I wasn't already busy enough as it was.

Maybe we should let them know that we are here?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: February 08, 2021, 01:02:00 pm »

Maybe we should let them know that we are here?
Secretdorf already did.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: February 08, 2021, 01:29:26 pm »

Hey, it's me, the host of that game you're talking about.

Do you guys think it would fit better here than on the main board? I know it's deduction in that it's advantageous to keep your role secret, but the lack of teams throws me off. It's a game played on the Town of Salem forums and they had a dedicated subforum for mafia too, but this was on the main forum game board rather than mafia board there too. They're more strict about what they have on the mafia board, though.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: February 08, 2021, 01:32:26 pm »

Do you guys think it would fit better here than on the main board? I know it's deduction in that it's advantageous to keep your role secret, but the lack of teams throws me off. It's a game played on the Town of Salem forums and they had a dedicated subforum for mafia too, but this was on the main forum game board rather than mafia board there too. They're more strict about what they have on the mafia board, though.
Either or, really. For a game the size of what you're going for though... honestly, it'll probably fill better if you keep it in FG/RP. There aren't enough mafia players to fill that game and we're more likely to find mafia-like games in FG than FG types are to find semi-mafia games hosted here.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: February 08, 2021, 01:36:51 pm »

Either or, really. For a game the size of what you're going for though... honestly, it'll probably fill better if you keep it in FG/RP. There aren't enough mafia players to fill that game and we're more likely to find mafia-like games in FG than FG types are to find semi-mafia games hosted here.
Gotcha.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: February 08, 2021, 01:37:53 pm »

I'm gonna guess ToS was more strict about Mafia games because it's a Mafia site. :p

It can fit here, but, as it's a big game, 4mask is right in that you probably won't find enough players (and we tend to space our big games out with a queue system). Our definition of Mafia is very, very flexible, though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: February 08, 2021, 01:38:14 pm »

There's no mafia team, but you could definitely argue it's a mafia variant.

It's unlikely you would get 16 players to signup from just this subboard right now so I think either place works.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: February 08, 2021, 01:39:37 pm »

(We've had games like Puzzle Temple Panic and Mafiakart Racing, for example. But there's gigatons more players in the main FG&R subforum than there are here, so you're better off running your semi-mafia in there.)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: February 08, 2021, 01:57:21 pm »

Gotcha.

But if you wanna link to us after your game finishes running, we wouldn't mind!! let's mafia
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: February 08, 2021, 07:36:19 pm »

A really weird idea I had was a game of mafia with inverse wincons.

Basically, the town wincon is that every member of the town must die and the mafia wincon is that every member of the mafia must die. Standard rules otherwise. No special roles, five town, two mafia, mafia are given a private chat, etc.

I find the idea hilarious.

EDIT: Thinking about it, this couldn't work if mafia know who each other are because once the mafia have parity with the town they can't be beat.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:38:35 pm by Ddynamo »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: February 08, 2021, 07:40:55 pm »

A really weird idea I had was a game of mafia with inverse wincons.

Basically, the town wincon is that every member of the town must die and the mafia wincon is that every member of the mafia must die. Standard rules otherwise. No special roles, five town, two mafia, mafia are given a private chat, etc.

I find the idea hilarious.
I think that might work. You'd need everyone to co-operate on lynching the most "town" players. Mafia would have an edge as they could bus each other, but then they might struggle when there's only one of them left alive. I'd play it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: February 08, 2021, 07:46:22 pm »

What if you have a two mafia, one town situation? Mafia would never vote to lynch town then. You could of course make it so that only a certain amount of town need to die of course.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 193