Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 770207 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2014, 12:29:28 pm »

I thought the three main Chaos Gods were formed in the War of the Ancients? Between Necrons and the Ancients?

It's complicated. But the basic gist that I got from some quick research shows that the Chaos Gods have always been around. Or at least have always been around since the Warp turned into a hellhole by the War of the Ancients/War in the Heavens. But the Gods didn't actually become sentient until much later. As in, 20,000~ years later, thanks to the Black Death, Mongol Hordes, Eldar Rave Parties, and Obama.

Well, that's how I understand things. I could be wrong, or they could retcon it to something else. Like they did with the C'tan and Necrons.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2014, 12:50:35 pm »

Hope, change, wizardry, ambition... He has a broad portfolio.

Back to the game itself: after a few failed attempts to lead the Lamenters, I seem to have hit a sweet spot. I deployed my forces on a planet with a small Ork infestation. Every turn about 350 of them attack me, get killed, reducing their presence level, which goes back up a turn later. Then the cycle repeats.

For a penitent chapter, such a source of enemies is a blessing. Several of my Astartes already qualify for promotions to Terminators and such, but I don't have the gear and can't ask Mechanicus for it. Do I need better relations or what? I can't see any way to increase my disposition with them, but their fleet is headed my way...

You need better relations. Just gift em a few artifacts.

Thanks. I tried gifting them requisition, but that was only a waste.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2014, 01:21:01 pm »

Hope, change, wizardry, ambition... He has a broad portfolio.

Back to the game itself: after a few failed attempts to lead the Lamenters, I seem to have hit a sweet spot. I deployed my forces on a planet with a small Ork infestation. Every turn about 350 of them attack me, get killed, reducing their presence level, which goes back up a turn later. Then the cycle repeats.

For a penitent chapter, such a source of enemies is a blessing. Several of my Astartes already qualify for promotions to Terminators and such, but I don't have the gear and can't ask Mechanicus for it. Do I need better relations or what? I can't see any way to increase my disposition with them, but their fleet is headed my way...

You need better relations. Just gift em a few artifacts.

Thanks. I tried gifting them requisition, but that was only a waste.

Yeah, only artifacts will raise them. Or missions but I don't think the Mech Techs give em.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2014, 02:42:38 pm »

I thought the three main Chaos Gods were formed in the War of the Ancients? Between Necrons and the Ancients?

If that's been said anywhere, it's probably very old canon that has since been retconned purified.

To my knowledge, the three Gods of Chaos have always been there, since the beginning of time.

According to wiki Every single life taken in anger increases the Blood God's power

Guess inquisition would like a couple words with the angry marines chapter.

It's the conundrum that underpins the entire Imperium: by its very existence and the way it handles business, it is feeding the Chaos gods. It's been argued humanity is incapable of NOT feeding the Chaos Gods, but the Imperium as an entity thoroughly nourishes it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 27, 2014, 02:57:47 pm »

I guess if you hooked the entire human race on heroin there wouldn't be all that much emotion to go around. Unless the supply ran out.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 27, 2014, 03:13:35 pm »

In the end, the shamans decided to pool their collective psychic energies by reincarnating as a single soul in a single human body to create an individual they called "the New Man." The thousands of shamans, as one, took poison, and as one, they died, their souls flowing into the Immaterium in a rush of psychic power that overwhelmed those daemons who sought to feast upon it with a cleansing, purifying fire, a flame imperishable that became one soul out of many.
A year later the child who would become the Emperor was born in a Neolithic settlement of Anatolian herders and farmers.

Hmm New ... Man ...with time , pronounciations changes, word evolve, i wonder if New ... Neu ?
Neu ... Man ... Suddenly it all makes sense.
Before becoming the emperor he was -the child-, he was the New Boy ...

That became the New Man ... the Neu Man ... the Neuman !

Forget the guy half dead on the throne machine, here's the real deal, the most terrifying truth behind the Imperium, the thing that really keeps all those demons and xenos at bay.
Because none or nothing could keep their sanity knowing that the only thing between them and utter corruption and annihilation is ... Alfred E Neuman !
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:16:25 pm by Robsoie »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 27, 2014, 03:14:31 pm »

The Emperor was born in the central somethingian region, which is in Turkey.

GOD EMPEROR = KEBAB

REMOVE EMPEROR

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2014, 11:22:46 pm »

In the end, the shamans decided to pool their collective psychic energies by reincarnating as a single soul in a single human body to create an individual they called "the New Man." The thousands of shamans, as one, took poison, and as one, they died, their souls flowing into the Immaterium in a rush of psychic power that overwhelmed those daemons who sought to feast upon it with a cleansing, purifying fire, a flame imperishable that became one soul out of many.
A year later the child who would become the Emperor was born in a Neolithic settlement of Anatolian herders and farmers.

That's deep, deep old fluff. Still theorized to essentially be the Emperor's origin story but I think the Shamanism has since been dropped. Although it's hard to say because current lore never tries to dig down that deep. GWS learned a while back that their universe was waaayyy more interesting when veiled in half-truths and mythology, then when they actually spelled the whole thing out.

There's all sorts of fluff that's since been purged because it was too explicit, and whacky. Like the Emperor having real, honest-to-Emperor sons, who were going to be sacrificed to create the Star Child or something, so it could fight the final battle against Chaos and win. (Essentially, the Emperor's origin story done over again, except instead of from many-to-one, it's one-to-many-to-one.) That particular plot line was murdered sometime after the Black Library started cranking out its 2nd generation of novels, although it's still engrained into the fanbase's collective psyche, much like Squats.

Incidentally, I'm still looking to buy a copy of "Space Marine" by Ian Watson, part of the first generation of Black Library publications. Rumored to be the grimmest, darkest and most violent portrayal of Space Marines ever penned. Which if you've read any Space Marine fiction should say something. Having read some of Watson's earlier stuff, I can believe it. His Space Marines are human to a fault. Like, they're all recruited teenage hiver gang scum. While becoming super human and getting the arsenal to match, they still approach the world like overactive teenagers with the bloodthirst. Very little of the typical stoic and honorable Space Marine, a lot of the adrenaline-filled murder. It's been said that novel is the reason we have the "idealized" Space Marines we do today....because the "realistic" take on them was so horrifying they couldn't sell it to kids.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:32:24 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2014, 03:40:44 am »

Well you have to see after all, they take a human male in his late teens, early adulthood, preferably from a technologically backwards world where they still behave like vikings, then put him through maddening training for warfare, turn him into a glorified killing machine, grant him high technology and then filll him up with all kinds of organs which basically makes him a demigod and finally they glaze over a liberal dose of religious fanatism.

How they managed to create something like the Ultramarines is beyond me. In all honesty i somewhat expect space marines to be something like slavering monstrosity genocide-hooked death angels instead of whatever gw tries to sell us. Basically Angry Marines.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2014, 03:52:49 am »

In a way, the thought of stoic demi-god marines committing genocide because people thought democracy is a nice idea is worse than a bunch of Death Company Blood Angels going on a rampage. At least the latter kind can blame their implants, modifications and brainwashing to the extent of not knowing what they are doing. Imperium as a whole is pretty much the worst faction in 40k after Tyranids, Necrons and Chaos. Although at least the Necrons are trying to plug the tears into Immaterium and cut off Chaos from the galaxy. (Plus I don't really think Tyranids are evil as such, they are just....hungry. However, they are bad news for everyone else and as such worst.)

I just hope not too many teenage boys start playing 40k and become fascists in the progress. :p At least in ye olde days there was enough humor mixed with the grimdark to not to glorify it too much.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2014, 03:53:31 am »

Humanity: where a few thousand psykers/shamans pooling their powers together can create an entity rivaling chaos gods (which existed since the beginning of time) in strength.

This is ridiculous. humans OP pls nerf
._.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2014, 05:35:10 am »

Incidentally, I'm still looking to buy a copy of "Space Marine" by Ian Watson, part of the first generation of Black Library publications. Rumored to be the grimmest, darkest and most violent portrayal of Space Marines ever penned. Which if you've read any Space Marine fiction should say something. Having read some of Watson's earlier stuff, I can believe it. His Space Marines are human to a fault. Like, they're all recruited teenage hiver gang scum. While becoming super human and getting the arsenal to match, they still approach the world like overactive teenagers with the bloodthirst. Very little of the typical stoic and honorable Space Marine, a lot of the adrenaline-filled murder. It's been said that novel is the reason we have the "idealized" Space Marines we do today....because the "realistic" take on them was so horrifying they couldn't sell it to kids.

My brother had a copy of that, cover fell off ages ago. It's probably still bumming around my house somewhere. Good book; as I remember it focuses strongly on the three main characters' different reactions to becoming Space Marines; it's sort of like Joss Whedon's basic pitch for Firefly; Eight people look into space and see eight different things, except three people and EMPRAH instead of space.

Spoiler: Also (click to show/hide)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2014, 05:55:41 am »

Spoiler: I bet he was pretty pissed when they found him

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2014, 06:53:26 am »

Well you have to see after all, they take a human male in his late teens, early adulthood, preferably from a technologically backwards world where they still behave like vikings, then put him through maddening training for warfare, turn him into a glorified killing machine, grant him high technology and then filll him up with all kinds of organs which basically makes him a demigod and finally they glaze over a liberal dose of religious fanatism.

How they managed to create something like the Ultramarines is beyond me. In all honesty i somewhat expect space marines to be something like slavering monstrosity genocide-hooked death angels instead of whatever gw tries to sell us. Basically Angry Marines.
Are the Ultramarines recruited from Hive Worlds though? Most other chapters recruit from Hive Worlds or Feral Worlds, but the Ultramarines recruit from all of Ultramar.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2014, 08:23:52 am »

Isn't Ultramar pretty much the modern world in one state?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 288