Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 768168 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #315 on: August 28, 2014, 12:19:04 pm »

I think it's pointless trying to assign "good" alignement to anyone, because GW created a game universe in which there's no real good, only more or less darkened shades of evil.
This probably in order to avoid justifying "but if faction X are good people, why are they murdering faction Y in that war, they should have mercy for their defeated enemies if they're on the good side" that would be a problem for the "in grim future there's only war" thing.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #316 on: August 28, 2014, 12:40:19 pm »

Aye, well I was more more going along tangent "But wasn't Emperor exactly the opposite of this grimdark hatefest and kinda "good" compared to everything else AND that makes him THE Emperor, according to fluff?"

That's every conquest ever. Enemies are always evil (or at least very, very wrong), backwards, or decadent.
I dunno, some conquest can be for profit (DE I guess?), some for fun (Orcs), some for "greater good"? But yeah, I see your point.

Again, why I was surprised as Emperor being branded "evil" (and I actually misread that) was because from my memory I couldn't remember anything that would make him as such, especially in comparison to pretty much everyone not-Tau or not-Eldar.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 28, 2014, 01:18:33 pm »

According to GW mythos, those "shamans" guys had the power to simply reincarnate after their death, making them basically immortal.

And the emperor was built from merging all of those "shamans" together .
So the obvious solution to the Imperium problems would have been to let him die so he would just come back and resume working on his "grand plan for humanity".

But that didn't happened, some of the imperium guys saw how useful it would be to confine their emperor on the throne device : it would prevent him to die and, as long as he was maintained in the derelict state he was, he would be unable to lead anything and so the Terra lords could rule the empire for themselves.
... while the machine could just use the emperor power to maintain the psy beacon they need to keep their empire going.

So yes, i think basically the emperor was going to be the good guy, but GW put him out of the way to avoid the whole imperium faction to be assimilated as the "good guys", because it wouldn't be grimdark enough.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 28, 2014, 01:24:31 pm »

Isn't... isn't the Emperor actually Lawful GOOD?

As in, his vision was to drag the humanity OUT of the dark ages and usher a new era of understanding and tolerance, even (especially?) towards alien races?
Through massive amounts of violence and a galaxy wide campaign of military conquest. Lawful good, he was not. I'd peg 'im as some form of neutral, but anything from lawful to chaotic (monomaniacal focus) could possibly fit.
Since when does xenocide negate Lawful Good? If there's one thing I learned from years of D&D, it's that wholesale slaughter of entire species was cool as long as those species were eeeeeevvvviiiillll.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2014, 01:41:12 pm »

Wait, slow down. The Emperor did some pretty questionable to terrible things, honestly.

The Crusade had a bunch of genocide over arbitrary reasons. You're a strand of humanity that mutated along the way by no fault of your own? Die! You're a strand of humanity that's totally pure but decided to make AI-controlled robots that make your life easier? Die! You're a strand of humanity that cooperated with xenos cause you would've otherwise been destroyed? Die!

Not to mention he has a pretty moronically heavy-handed way of dealing with his sons. For that matter, his sons are total morons for the most part as well. "One of my sons continues to be a psyker despite my wishes? I'll just send out my loyal but totally stupid, superstitious and blood-thirsty son to bring him in. He surely won't just try to kill and destroy everything for no reason. One of my sons built a gigantic city based around worshipping me as a god? I'll have one of my other sons just bombard it to hell, making around a billion people homeless, injured or dead. Oh, hey, Angron. How are those rage needles stuck in your brain working out? I was thinking of getting some myself. I'm kind of concerned they'll make me accidentally kill Malcador, but what can you do."

On the alignment scale, he's kind of Moronic Evil.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 28, 2014, 01:43:27 pm »

Moronic Evil.
Seems to be the general theme of the universe.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 28, 2014, 01:52:57 pm »

In one of the books (I've read too many to find it back), the Emperor was talking to one of the primarchs or Malcador and made the point that he can be all-powerful or all-seeing, but he couldn't manage both at once. And given his actions, he obviously went for all-powerful.

Which explains why someone so powerful made so many bone-headed mistakes that allowed Chaos to corrupt half the primarchs.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2014, 01:58:07 pm »

If the Emperor can reincarnate, that kinda puts the forces of Chaos on the clock.]

Since the Imperium is losing worlds at a alarming rate sooner or later the world of Terra and the Golden Throne will be exposed to alien forces, which will lead to Emperor's death.
Then he reincarnates and goes to kick some major alien ass, including Chaos.

The only way I see for Chaos to not lose is to secretly support the Imperium forces against Tyranids and the like, to avoid that sort of scenario.
._.

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2014, 02:27:21 pm »

Since when does xenocide negate Lawful Good? If there's one thing I learned from years of D&D, it's that wholesale slaughter of entire species was cool as long as those species were eeeeeevvvviiiillll.
Because those aliens were dicks, when the Age of Strife began most of humanities neighboring aliens turned on them and started to core them out. Practically every race humanity meets is just as ruthless and as ambitious as humanity is.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 28, 2014, 02:30:49 pm »

Wait, slow down. The Emperor did some pretty questionable to terrible things, honestly.

The Crusade had a bunch of genocide over arbitrary reasons. You're a strand of humanity that mutated along the way by no fault of your own? Die! You're a strand of humanity that's totally pure but decided to make AI-controlled robots that make your life easier? Die! You're a strand of humanity that cooperated with xenos cause you would've otherwise been destroyed? Die!

Not to mention he has a pretty moronically heavy-handed way of dealing with his sons. For that matter, his sons are total morons for the most part as well. "One of my sons continues to be a psyker despite my wishes? I'll just send out my loyal but totally stupid, superstitious and blood-thirsty son to bring him in. He surely won't just try to kill and destroy everything for no reason. One of my sons built a gigantic city based around worshipping me as a god? I'll have one of my other sons just bombard it to hell, making around a billion people homeless, injured or dead. Oh, hey, Angron. How are those rage needles stuck in your brain working out? I was thinking of getting some myself. I'm kind of concerned they'll make me accidentally kill Malcador, but what can you do."

On the alignment scale, he's kind of Moronic Evil.

To be fair, that's the sort of biblical/Bronze Age type of behavior that creates great stories  :)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 28, 2014, 03:29:20 pm »

If the Emperor can reincarnate, that kinda puts the forces of Chaos on the clock.]

Since the Imperium is losing worlds at a alarming rate sooner or later the world of Terra and the Golden Throne will be exposed to alien forces, which will lead to Emperor's death.
Then he reincarnates and goes to kick some major alien ass, including Chaos.

The only way I see for Chaos to not lose is to secretly support the Imperium forces against Tyranids and the like, to avoid that sort of scenario.

Not exactly the Golden Throne was built on the Human Webway (because the emperor wanted one too) but because it failed at some point it was overrun by daemons. Now as long as the emperor sits on the golden throne, everything will be fine. But once he dies. Imagine a Chaos Incursion worse than the Eye of Terror...

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 28, 2014, 03:34:57 pm »

The Chief Librarian reports a shadow in the Warp.

It's 'Nids, isn't it?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 28, 2014, 03:37:40 pm »

Speaking of which, how do you ever defend against them? There's no way in hell I can take on their fleets.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:47 pm »

So far in the current version, the Shadow in the Warp has been the game-over signal to me. I generally just pull my fleets back to my fortress planet and bunker up while world after world goes dark and dies...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 28, 2014, 03:43:48 pm »

Maybe that's where the request for military assistance is useful, but even when it's accepted, i can't manage to make it work, clicking a system or a fleet does not seem to do anything.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 288