Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 770207 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1845 on: July 30, 2015, 01:49:48 am »

You can also play 30k campaigns too, though, so really any argument about it 'being possible' to do stuff when it's all locked down doesn't really hold up.

In fact, considering the massive campaign stuff they've run when they decided to add some new plotlines, it would actually allow for more campaigns. It can remain a stalemate and still have some plot advancement. Or a semi-stalemate, at least; Tau are supposed to be ripping the shit out of the border planets, Tyranids are supposed to be headed for Terra, and the galaxy looks like it's about to get it's shit kicked in.

But the Ciaphas Cain novels exist so we know it doesn't. Not for another couple of hundred years, at any rate.

That's the real reason, I think, that they don't want to advance the plot. Is because then they'd have to advance the date, or continue trying to find ways to shove and retcon even more stuff in order to just barely eensy-weensy bit keep it technically all happening before the 42nd Millenium. Because if it wasn't 40k, WHO KNOWS WHAT COULD HAPPEN WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAA

>.>

And yes, I think that it's an utterly bullshit reason. One of my biggest annoyances with the franchise, besides the prices.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: July 30, 2015, 02:29:39 am »

There apparently has been some things that happen in the 42nd Millennium that have been mentioned. Though in the end for me I don't like to stick too closely to official lore. Or rather, what Games Workshop publishes is more of a guideline then hard facts. Of course, if you're playing with others you need to get their agreement for any possible rule changes or the like.

If they did advance the storyline, what could happen? Perhaps the Eldar find a new craftworld that was thought destroyed that has a wealth of new technology, adding several new types of weapons and vehicles to their army list. Perhaps the Tau, with many new planets and alien races joining them, become much more of a mix of different races beyond Kroot, Vespid and guardsmen.

Rather than waiting for GW to come up with something, the rules could be written as part of a campaign. The Tau gain units of Hrud through their diplomatic actions, giving them a close combat assault unit that applies penalties to nearby enemy units for every turn they're near them (Hrud have an aging aura).
S3,T2,A3,I5,W2, +5 armour save, Cloaked in Shadows: Reroll hits, Aging Aura: Every turn, enemy units within base contact lose 1 point of I, T and S until the end of that combat.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1847 on: July 30, 2015, 02:48:44 am »

Er, yes, it's something that SHOULD happen in 40k. Advancing the plot doesn't mean the end of the series, or the big stalemate that's going on. GW just needs to find some more fluff writers who aren't brain-damaged.
Nope.
No advancing past 41st Millenium, unless they retcon Golden Throne failing, Tyranids coming in HUEG numbers, Necrons popping up EVERYWHERE, that Ork Warboss gathering orks to make WAAAAAGHH starting at one end of Galaxy and ending on other, Failbaddon actually winning and other threats to Imperium and everything else. Because if we advanced the plot with current fluff, it means end of the series. No exceptions. Golden Throne fails, Emperor either dies and Imperium is no more (GG, they just lost most played faction), Emperor ressurects and Imperium quickly mops up factions such as (Dark)Eldar, Tau, physically walls off Eye Of Terror, Maelstorm and other Warp buttholes in Galaxy (as he is apparently capable of doing that), starts fighting off Tyranids. GG, you just lost rest of factions. Hell, they might not even finish off any race for good, just make them lose (because, someone is going to lose), but even then PEOPLE WILL RAEG. Why? Because all their carefully created theories about grimmer, darker future of 40k got invalidated, their armies lose so badly that people star to question their fighting abilities on tabletop, and they may have to remove some parts of factions which also may cause RAEG.
The main problem of Wh40k is not the status quo or anything else except 40.000. That's right, the date is main problem. You can make stories back and forth without actually advancing the story line, but thanks to GW establishing that that world freezes one second before it's 42nd Millenium you can't add more.
But they can't even move the date, because someone back then had the brilliant idea of naming it Warhammer 40k. D:
Tau are supposed to be ripping the shit out of the border planets, Tyranids are supposed to be headed for Terra, and the galaxy looks like it's about to get it's shit kicked in.
Sorry, but Tau are straight between Tyranids and Terra. In another couple years they will cease to exist.
There apparently has been some things that happen in the 42nd Millennium that have been mentioned. Though in the end for me I don't like to stick too closely to official lore. Or rather, what Games Workshop publishes is more of a guideline then hard facts. Of course, if you're playing with others you need to get their agreement for any possible rule changes or the like.
That wiki is bad when it comes to accuracy, and you should feel bad. And this isin't even list of what "happened", it's list of what's "going to happen". All of this means Imperium is dead with serveral other factions.
Here you have what actually can be sourced.
And it's either Caiphas Cain (which doesn't tell us what really happens, except that Imperium still exist, apparently) and one piece from  C.S Goto (and everything he made is at least questionable canonically). Also some random Medusa V but I have no idea where that's from.
If they did advance the storyline, what could happen? Perhaps the Eldar find a new craftworld that was thought destroyed that has a wealth of new technology, adding several new types of weapons and vehicles to their army list.
Ynnead. Though I wouldn't have anything against some new additions of weapons and vehicles as long as everyone gets something new and it's not retarded or basically new version of something old without any purpose or new looks.
Perhaps the Tau, with many new planets and alien races joining them, become much more of a mix of different races beyond Kroot, Vespid and guardsmen.
They get nommed, as I mentioned.
Rather than waiting for GW to come up with something, the rules could be written as part of a campaign. The Tau gain units of Hrud through their diplomatic actions, giving them a close combat assault unit that applies penalties to nearby enemy units for every turn they're near them (Hrud have an aging aura).
S3,T2,A3,I5,W2, +5 armour save, Cloaked in Shadows: Reroll hits, Aging Aura: Every turn, enemy units within base contact lose 1 point of I, T and S until the end of that combat.
>Hrud
>Diplomatic actions
Hahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahaha.
If anything, Hrud are going to get their own army list (or even a Codex, who knows) because we lack Space Skaven and they're Space Skaven.
Well, the plot is static so you can run campaigns that cover possible important battles. Defence of Mars, Terra or where ever else. X-Com tabletop style. That guardsmen who successfully kills a chaos marine? Next battle you could paint up a sergeant to represent his promotion, give him a name and his own squad to command. If later he's killed, paint his name onto the battalion banner with a kill count.
Proper way of thinking. Expand your dudes instead of bragging GW to advance the storyline and make your dudes unuseable.
I mean, come on, you have whole galaxy and ten thousand years to work in, and if that's not enough, you can advance the storyline on local (or even global) scale if you really want to.
Nothing is stopping you.

EDIT:
Also, don't take me wrong. I would enjoy more time too, but I know GW too well. I mean, COME ON, THEY ARE THE GUYS WHO CREATED AGE OF SIGMAR, THEY CAN'T BE TRUSTED TO DO ANYTHING ANYMORE.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:01:00 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

snowdrifts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: July 30, 2015, 05:13:41 pm »

I mean, COME ON, THEY ARE THE GUYS WHO CREATED AGE OF SIGMAR, THEY CAN'T BE TRUSTED TO DO ANYTHING ANYMORE.

But Duke can. So let's talk about Chapter Master instead and throw the fanfic and agruments over on another thread, eh?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: July 30, 2015, 05:23:38 pm »

I mean technically its M41.999. Literally it's stated that multiple characters live well in to the 42nd millennium.
(Source: Lexicanum)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: July 30, 2015, 05:43:09 pm »

I mean, COME ON, THEY ARE THE GUYS WHO CREATED AGE OF SIGMAR, THEY CAN'T BE TRUSTED TO DO ANYTHING ANYMORE.

But Duke can. So let's talk about Chapter Master instead and throw the fanfic and agruments over on another thread, eh?

Indeed, some place like this even.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: July 31, 2015, 01:35:13 am »

As we should all know,this game is based on king of dragon pass,one of the games best features is the amount of events and simply other quirks like hero quests and relic hunting. We can already draw parallels with ancient ruins and other ??? including inquisitor's being basically hero quests but it's not enough. Feasts are only the mid way point,i have several ideas; like ancient ruins being more like minigames, Duke once said that he wanted to flesh out space hulks turning them into minigames but..it would unnecessarily boost the filesize and "was to much work", but now with development getting more in depth and advanced i'd say it's time to get this party started.also secret lairs their awesome.
Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1852 on: July 31, 2015, 08:30:03 am »

I propose that tutorial involves Celestial Lions (also add them anyway). Managing 96 marines is much easier than managing 1000 of them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:39:30 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: July 31, 2015, 08:53:41 am »

As we should all know,this game is based on king of dragon pass

what? Really? Doesn't really feel that way at all.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1854 on: July 31, 2015, 09:29:22 am »

By the way, as we were talking about events before...
Imperial Fists and their successors engage in swordfighting competition called Feast of Blades. They fight each other (in pairs of course) in arena that changes all the time, wearing only scout armor and they also use poisoned swords that cause marines to slow down. It's not usually to death, but you know, they're killing machines so sometimes the guy who wins is basically the one who survives. The guy who wins gets the blade Dorn used back in the day.

MAYBE MAYBE offsector competition event on which you send one of your champions to win some cheesy artifacts for you, with slight chance of him dying. Or MAYBE MAYBE insector event competition where you provide rules, arena (death worlds (bonus points for making competition on planet overrun  by tyranids or kayoss) are more interesting but higher chance to die, hiveworlds and civilized grant more viewers etc., and also the reward. The better the reward, the more marines you attract (possibly causing some of them to pop up in your sector to help later on, if they consider your chapter cool guys and you made a speech in which you mentioned you need help (less respect, but you know)). Also, since Imperial Fists and their successors (like BLACK TEMPLARS and CELESTIAL LOINS) engage in such stuff, it seems it's pretty safe and non-khorney. Maybe a chance to cause corruption if someone dies or you don't have enough Chaplains to oversee such event.

Bonus points if reward is deamonic artifact and nobody knows about it.

EDIT: By the way, I'm that annoying guy from IRC. Having three different nicknames causes confusion.
EDIT2: DINGDINGDINGDINGDING
I just learned that Chainhammers exist in Wh40k.
Basically a bastard of Power Mace (strangely enough) and Chainwhatever. A huge ball of whirring teeth on stick which also utilize the same technology as Power Fist (power field making chain even more choppy) but even better because it's Thunderhammer one (aka, relasing extreme amounts of energy). That also means it's pushing things away from chains but hey, rule of cool and Warhammer being Warhammer. Actually, it might tear into the target a bit before relasing the wave of energy, effectively exploding the target. We totally need this as a rare, powerful weapon, maybe something reserved to chapter advantage of having some weird kind of weapon in use.

Which also reminds me of Chainclaws.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:06:17 pm by Kot »

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: July 31, 2015, 12:33:30 pm »

Blaa blaa
The feasts of blades yeah but some chapters have Actually holidays like Sangulala or...ultramarines ego month
Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1856 on: July 31, 2015, 01:03:42 pm »

Blaa blaa
blaa blaa i should think twice and stop making thinly veiled insults blaa blaa
Happy Sanguinala!
Also we need Fistmas. If you were a good Chapter Phanta Claws is going to give you some sweet artifacts or maybe know-how to make artificer armor not murder you.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: July 31, 2015, 01:26:13 pm »

Isn't a chainhammer but a chainfist on a stick?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: July 31, 2015, 01:39:37 pm »

@Kot:

They actually don't. One of the Ciaphas Cain novels is titled The Greater Good, and involves the Tau. So they don't get nommed quite yet, actually, if Ciaphas Cain novels are canon.

I mean, that's leaving aside that there's actually several ways to advance the plotline without having everything go to shit all at once. It won't even necessarily involve retcons, not that GW hasn't shown it's willingness to use such.

I mean, hell, there's so much overpowered ridiculousness and so much weird shit and last-minute asspull saves as it is, it's not really a stretch to think that might happen as it is. Maybe the Eldar come in and save the Golden Throne because they know if they don't the galaxy is extra-fucked, and them along with it. Maybe they just set shit into motion to do it. Maybe all the Tomb Worlds get woken up and so no new ones start popping up. Maybe reborn Emperor isn't a literal fucking god, being weakened by his time on the Golden Throne, or, you know, having to rebuild it real quick and sit back down, just able to start reforming the Imperium at the worst possible time. Gain Emperor, lose organization.

Failbaddon will fail again, tho'.

That's not even in question.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

snowdrifts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: July 31, 2015, 01:40:10 pm »

Isn't a chainhammer but a chainfist on a stick?

Indeed, which makes it very different from the hammerchain, a chain made of powerhammers.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 288