Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 768181 times)

knife23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #2805 on: December 20, 2015, 02:23:09 pm »

I wonder if there could ever be a multiplayer aspect to the Chapter Master game. You know, engaging in diplomacy and stuff with other players' chapters?

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: December 21, 2015, 09:31:09 am »

2 SM Chapters patrolling around a sector would be ridiculously easy.

That said i love the idea.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: December 21, 2015, 10:49:11 am »

I wonder if there could ever be a multiplayer aspect to the Chapter Master game.

Depending on the code, it would either be difficult to implement, or literally impossible without a full rewrite.

From looking at the code a while back, I suspect the latter.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: December 21, 2015, 11:03:39 am »

The closest you could probably have is an upload your chapter to somewhere and it'll show up in someone's game.  It'll be a nightmare to updateIt'll probably be culled when stuff changes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: December 21, 2015, 11:37:10 am »

As fun as it'd be, multiplayer is incredibly difficult, especially with GM. As Zangi says, you could probably import someone else's chapter ala bones files, but any more than that would be a nightmare with GM.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

knife23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: December 21, 2015, 06:52:12 pm »

That said, do you get visits from other space marine chapters in Chapter Master?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: December 21, 2015, 06:58:45 pm »

Duke alluded to something like that in a bygone millennia. I'm guessing it was at best half-implemented, at worst just a feature he'd have been interested in introducing.

I'd still like to see it. Real drama is when two SM chapters take off the kid gloves and start blasting the shit out of each other. Lots of room for individual founder/successor drama, as not all of them get along with each other.

Plus I'd love to kick the shit out of some smug Space Wolves.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: December 21, 2015, 07:03:35 pm »

Getting branded as heretics should definitely call down SM on you. That'd be really, really good.
I just can't imagine it being even remotely balanced!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2813 on: December 21, 2015, 07:04:01 pm »

Well, but some of them do get along pretty well.
Black Templars and Celestial Lions, *cough* *cough*.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: December 21, 2015, 08:32:33 pm »

What is it with BTs and being around when other chapters effectively bite the dust? They're like an emo goth girl who goes to strangers funerals.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: December 22, 2015, 12:14:28 am »

What is it with BTs and being around when other chapters effectively bite the dust? They're like an emo goth girl who goes to strangers funerals.

BTs got Rogal Dorn sadness aspect from their geneseed? (together with his RAAAGE)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: December 22, 2015, 10:07:56 am »

He did start dressing in black and generally being sad after his papa died.

Azazass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: December 22, 2015, 03:59:05 pm »

Well, adding another Chapter or more to the sector, currently, will be pretty much an overkill.

That is, if the sector is not expanded or the difficulty is increased.

A difficulty increase will lead to a even higher mortatily rate among the MEHREENS. Seriously, I keep losing people so fast, I'm looking at you Tyranids, I can not replenish my losses, but of course, what else can I expect from the GRIMDARKNESS of the far future?

An expanded sector could be a better solution, of course, some pathfinding errors will show up more commonly unless they are solved, like orks and tyranids invading empty systems and staying there.

Another thing I would really like to see is better combat, both ground and space combat, a greater degree of control over the units and orders will be a nice addition.

Of course, I'm not talking about handling every single unit in ground combat, but orders such as a tactical withdraw, orbital support, artillery strikes, support from the guard or other local forces, amongs other options, these options should add bonuses, malus or both to your ground forces.

Say, orbital strikes have a chance of hitting your units depending how close the enemy is, it could save the day or it could doom your forces.

Or an option of requesting reinforcements slaved to percentage of success of the request and only be possible if there is another of your ships in orbit or if your disposition with the governor, Guard or SoBs is high enough, of course, the reinforcements shouldn't arrive immediately, they should take a number of turns depending on their faction, marines with their drop pods should arrive be very quickly while the PDF would take the longest time, of course the response time of the PDF will vary according to the planet, a hive or forge world PDF could respond in the same amount of time as the Guard, but a feudal or death world PDF will take the longest time.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: December 22, 2015, 05:09:52 pm »

There is framework(perks) for the presence/intervention of other chapters though...  probably nothing more then a small squad, rather then full blown companies.

The game is a balancing act of managed attrition.    You either wipe them out... or you end up taking very heavy casualties or get wiped out yourself. 
The thin sweet spot of taking some light casualties for harvest while also being strong enough for the long term.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: December 22, 2015, 05:14:33 pm »

There is also dark angels scenario. You start with 100 terminators and three battle barges, you dont suffer any attrition and win everything.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 288