Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1567664 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1065 on: September 05, 2010, 09:43:17 am »

I mean, if I find a way to make a potion that gives a dwarf super speed, with the side effect that they violently explode killing everything nearby after 2 days, I want that to be well-controlled.

Agreed. We have to make sure every dwarf gets some. I would order it poured down the water tank.

Or dumped out into the open countryside if we could aerosolize the stuff.  Having exploding hoary marmots and rhesus macaques would be a fun advertising quirk for the fortress.

I was thinking murder holes.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 05, 2010, 05:37:14 pm »

:        The parents ended up having some vacation time, so we all went for a   little hike along the Hoh River.  We also ended up staying a night in a   nearby hotel in Forks.  I didn't know until the trip that Forks had   gained some notoriety in recent years.  Apparently we missed the   official annual Twilight Day by about a week, but there were still   plenty of things to be seen, including many shirtless dolls for sale. 

OK i have to admit i am too adicted to your work. MY first impressions were:

- Cool River sites!
- Wow we get functioning inns?
- what procedural Holydays?
- Dolls? Like idols from cloth?

But hey nice to hear you had some time off toady.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 05, 2010, 06:18:19 pm »

:        The parents ended up having some vacation time, so we all went for a   little hike along the Hoh River.  We also ended up staying a night in a   nearby hotel in Forks.  I didn't know until the trip that Forks had   gained some notoriety in recent years.  Apparently we missed the   official annual Twilight Day by about a week, but there were still   plenty of things to be seen, including many shirtless dolls for sale. 

- Cool River sites!

Wait, what? He's talking about Forks. The town. He's not talking about anything DF-related there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 05, 2010, 06:23:18 pm »

- Cool River sites!

Wait, what? He's talking about Forks. The town. He's not talking about anything DF-related there.

I do believe he was joking. "You know you've played too much DF when..."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 05, 2010, 07:14:55 pm »

You're right. I thought he was misinterpreting Toady's English, but it turns out I was misinterpreting his. I think he inadvertently out-flexed me.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 06, 2010, 03:38:17 am »

I seriously thouht Toady describes some adventure mode stuff  ;D
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 06, 2010, 04:41:26 am »

Toady, are you planning on adding some kind of "work overseer" dwarf, so that he`ll ensure that enough dwarves with adequate skill levels have certain labour enabled? Such noble that would automatically enable/disable labours for dwarfs, depending on options. It would be very convinient if such "work overseer" would have some kind of "minimal skill level", "enable cross-profession dwarfs", "minimal number of <profession name>" options. Or he`ll enable option of creating custom "jobs" with predefined set of labours. Or mark dwarves with some kind of token in military screen, so we could see, if a dwarf is a LEGENDARY+5 Weaponsmith and we shouldnt put him in a squad, no matter what happens.

Checking if one of your 100+ dwarves have (siege operator)/(weaponsmith)/(armorer) skill at (any level above dabbling)/(high level) to start (training him up)/(producing high-quality equipment) is very time consuming...
Or choosing, which one of your dwarves is (useless enough)/(male, so he wont bring child to battlefield)/(strong, tough, agile) to list him in a squad...
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 06, 2010, 01:06:12 pm »

Checking if one of your 100+ dwarves have (siege operator)/(weaponsmith)/(armorer) skill at (any level above dabbling)/(high level) to start (training him up)/(producing high-quality equipment) is very time consuming...

With a manager, you can do this from a workshop. There is a menu option called Workshop (P)rofile, used for setting minimum and maximum skill levels and allowed dwarves for any given workshop. From there, you can just set jobs for training or for producing masterworks, depending on what skill levels and dwarves you allowed.

Or choosing, which one of your dwarves is (useless enough)/(male, so he wont bring child to battlefield)/(strong, tough, agile) to list him in a squad...

This is just a matter of making the military page have an option to show more info about a dwarf than their highest combat skill.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:07:44 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 06, 2010, 01:27:37 pm »

Just make sure you don't open the space backpack.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:55:02 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 06, 2010, 02:54:30 pm »

Just make sure you don't open the space menu.  :-[

That's space inventory, pal.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 06, 2010, 07:57:26 pm »

Yaaay bugfixes!

This coming update fills me with sweet sugary goodness.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 06, 2010, 08:59:22 pm »

Well, what's wrong with both? 

You could have a toggle that makes a "coffee" drug open to whoever wants some, and having powerful drugs that have potentially lethal side-effects under strict control over when they are used.

You only need to restrict access to the stuff that you, personally, feel are important enough to reglate.  If you just don't care, you can mass-forbid or leave totally unregulated whatever you want, while letting the control freaks micromanage to the n-th degree.

This.  You should have a Pharmacy building which lets you toggle substances between "general use" and "prescription only" with maybe a "medical use" option as well--kind of like the Economic Stones Mod allows prohibition of certain building materials.  If you want your dwarves to have free reign to dope up on whatever, just don't build the pharmacy.  Bonus points if the pharmacy is a zone like the hospital, needing a chests, tables, and chairs.  More bonus points if "medical use" parameters are defined in the drug raws.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 06, 2010, 09:01:20 pm »

This is all sounding way too modern. Recreational drug use as we know of it today isn't even a terribly old phenomenon, as far as I know. Same with a lot of hard drugs in general, really.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 06, 2010, 09:18:59 pm »

Opium and tobacco (and alcohol if you'd prefer to call it a recreational drug rather than a beverage) have been used for millenia. I think marijuana has also been used for a very long time, but that could just be a memory hiccup.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:45 pm »

A memory hiccup due to marijuana?

Yeah, opium has been in use for many centuries recreationally.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 342