Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1567694 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1845 on: November 10, 2010, 10:04:41 pm »

Always remember:  The first 90% of the release takes 90% of the time.  The last 10% takes the other 90%.  yes that's 180%

Yeah, I've been having the worst little 90-90 microcosm here...  it was always going to be tomorrow, so I was like "the next dev log will be the release post", but some crash or irritating problem arises.

It's posts like this which I think will do the most to placate the rabid fans. I don't think any of us want to rush toady, we just like hearing how it's going. At least thats how I feel.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: November 11, 2010, 12:06:20 am »

The reason why 10% takes 90% of the time is simply due to the difference between quantity and effort

90% of the work is the easy "I could do it with my eyes closed work"

While 10% of it is the "backbreaking Oh my goodness I will never get it done" sort of stuff

So what happens is while doing the 90% you start to get into the swing of things, you occasionally graze the 10% but your fine. This is the equivilant of driving out of your driveway and finding that for the most part there is almost no traffic on the street and possibly the highway near your house (mind you I live in a Suburb so this example doesn't work in... lets say a city)

So your driving along and almost at work when suddenly BAMN! you hit the main streets and the traffic is so dense you think you could walk to work faster.

So you jump through the windshield of your car and call your audiance and tell them you will be there in half and hour, because of course it must be a half an hour it would take five minutes by car. However your bleeding out from jumping through the window and all of a sudden the cops are on your tail because they think you just stole a car. Of course they start shooting at you because you can't stop because if you stopped you wouldn't get to work ontime so not only do you have cuts all around your body but you have a few bullet holes too. So you start to weave a bit to hopefully dodge a few bullets and maybe deal with a few cuts here and there. Then you get lucky and you finally make it to work and everyone cheers and goes "Great, hope to see you tommorow" and you arn't even sure how you will get home yet alone do it all over again, but the real mystery is why you day in and day out always fall for that freeken stupor that is believing this drive will be any different then last time causing you to question your intelligence thus putting you into a procrastinative state where you only go by the easy roads causing you to get into even WORSE traffic congestion later down the roads with even worse cops gunning you down... but you still can't stop because ohh no if you ever stopped you would lose all respect for yourself and your worth as a human being as your one primary goal has been torn assunder not by the barriers infront of you but by the effort that you very well put into it...

Uhhh... what was I talking about?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: November 11, 2010, 12:08:21 am »

Always remember:  The first 90% of the release takes 90% of the time.  The last 10% takes the other 90%.  yes that's 180%

Yeah, I've been having the worst little 90-90 microcosm here...  it was always going to be tomorrow, so I was like "the next dev log will be the release post", but some crash or irritating problem arises.  I have one rare unreproducible crash that I'll probably have to release with, and a giant wish-list which grows instead of shrinks as usual, and the current idea was to put it up 13 hours from now, but I can't promise it.  If I put it off much longer, it'll just be self-indulgent, I think.  The last thing I slipped in was people rolling away from strikes if they are on the ground.

So Monday huh? Well as long you root out your bugs and fulfil some wishes its fine with me. Just remember to sleep regularity your 8 hours and to eat a good meal 3 times a day. Oh and some exercise might be nice to. Errrrr ... what i want to say is: try to keep your sanity. 48 hour coding marathons arent good for anyone.

regarding evergrowing wish lists: on my wish-list is actually a good chat-boty like talking interface towards NPCs. Facade had an interesting try on that and some nice research on interactive storytelling.

@Merchant and Dakk: I am quit sure that Bay12games has a "Dont flirt with customers"-policy so i would think neither of has a chance.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:16:42 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

eidoloclast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: November 11, 2010, 12:14:03 am »

Yeah, I've been having the worst little 90-90 microcosm here...  it was always going to be tomorrow, so I was like "the next dev log will be the release post", but some crash or irritating problem arises.  I have one rare unreproducible crash that I'll probably have to release with, and a giant wish-list which grows instead of shrinks as usual, and the current idea was to put it up 13 hours from now, but I can't promise it.  If I put it off much longer, it'll just be self-indulgent, I think.  The last thing I slipped in was people rolling away from strikes if they are on the ground.

Registered to say that, while I am frothing at the mouth in anticipation for the new version, if this is the only time commitment adventurer mode is going to see for a while then you should feel free to indulge yourself for as long as you want. Adventurer mode has been waiting a long time to be updated, and if there are still things you are adding in and enjoying adding in, then I'm willing to wait longer because more features actually coded are always great.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: November 11, 2010, 12:19:50 am »

Quote from: Toady One

No, no! Take the time and indulge yourself, please. It will just make the update all the better.

Quote from: piecewise
It's posts like this which I think will do the most to placate the rabid fans. I don't think any of us want to rush toady, we just like hearing how it's going. At least thats how I feel.

But dude, you're being too needy. If Toady was your girlfirend you'd be dumped by now.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: November 11, 2010, 12:33:56 am »

right. It's little things, like the aimed shots and rolling that make the experience great. We're willing to wait.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1851 on: November 11, 2010, 01:08:00 am »

Quote from: Toady One

No, no! Take the time and indulge yourself, please. It will just make the update all the better.

Quote from: piecewise

But dude, you're being too needy. If Toady was your girlfirend you'd be dumped by now.
I don't really see how saying that it would be nice if toady spent 30 seconds every day or two telling us how it's going is being too needy, it's what he used to do. I'm not telling him to do it or anything, just saying I like reading the devlog and being kept up to date on things, and that doing this might satiate other people as well.

Note that I'm also not telling toady to hurry up or release an unfinished thing he's not happy with, thats the last thing I want. I'm just stating my opinion about why people got so suddenly anxious and that better, more frequent communication could help that. Whether toady wants to follow that suggestion or not is his decision.

Also, I don't think I'd want a "girlfirend", whatever that is.

the current idea was to put it up 13 hours from now, but I can't promise it.  If I put it off much longer, it'll just be self-indulgent, I think.  quote]

So Monday huh?
How does 13 hours from Wednesday night translate into Monday? Not trying to be snide or something, just curious if I missed something.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:24:00 am by piecewise »

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: November 11, 2010, 02:22:13 am »

How does 13 hours from Wednesday night translate into Monday? Not trying to be snide or something, just curious if I missed something.
Toady is using Valve Time.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: November 11, 2010, 02:43:26 am »

Uhh, release in ~7 hours, right? ^^

Don't worry if it's a little buggy, it's .17 not .18 after all  8)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: November 11, 2010, 02:45:03 am »

Each passing day fills me with hope and, at a certain point, that hope turns to wistfulness.

I think we all know why.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: November 11, 2010, 02:54:23 am »

the current idea was to put it up 13 hours from now, but I can't promise it.  If I put it off much longer, it'll just be self-indulgent, I think.  quote]

So Monday huh?
You are clearly unfamiliar with how deadlines work.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:27:03 am by Cruxador »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 11, 2010, 02:58:35 am »

Each passing day fills me with hope and, at a certain point, that hope turns to wistfulness.

I think we all know why.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: November 11, 2010, 03:21:51 am »

That's a wonderful quote to support apathy...

@_@ but if I wasn't filled with hope that is dashed each day, it wouldn't feel like Christmas when it actually gets released.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 11, 2010, 03:37:18 am »

it's not mine, I'm just plain old good programming-cynic.
btw, that was from warhammer 40k.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: November 11, 2010, 05:11:34 am »

Uhh, release in ~7 hours, right? ^^

Don't worry if it's a little buggy, it's .17 not .18 after all  8)

*thump*

you can feel the forum heart beating, slowly synchronizing on days, on hours, on minutes...

*thump*

about four hours

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 342