Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566252 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3525 on: February 11, 2011, 02:41:27 pm »

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff that needs framework provided by the caravan arc like that stuff for stuff to work.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: February 11, 2011, 02:43:08 pm »

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff that needs framework provided by the caravan arc like that stuff for stuff to work.
which is why I asked ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: February 11, 2011, 11:08:46 pm »

Will Legends mode have a section for battle added to it as a part of the Army Arc?

The reason I ask is I noticed in my first fort that there were some battles nearby where human villages were besieged by elephants once every 20 years or so.  I wanted to look more into these weird occurrences, but found I could not look up battles as a topic (at least I couldn't find a way).

I figured that its a feature in the works (both because I see that each major battle in dwarf mode has a name and I'm pretty sure I seen it mentioned in a DF Talk somewhere) so I just thought "oh well", but with the Army Arc coming I was curious if that would be included in with the Army Arc or saved for a future update perhaps when Legends mode receives updates. I'm not asking for an ETA or anything specific timing-wise. Just if it will be included in the Army Arc or not.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: February 12, 2011, 12:01:59 am »

Will Legends mode have a section for battle added to it as a part of the Army Arc?

The reason I ask is I noticed in my first fort that there were some battles nearby where human villages were besieged by elephants once every 20 years or so.  I wanted to look more into these weird occurrences, but found I could not look up battles as a topic (at least I couldn't find a way).

I figured that its a feature in the works (both because I see that each major battle in dwarf mode has a name and I'm pretty sure I seen it mentioned in a DF Talk somewhere) so I just thought "oh well", but with the Army Arc coming I was curious if that would be included in with the Army Arc or saved for a future update perhaps when Legends mode receives updates. I'm not asking for an ETA or anything specific timing-wise. Just if it will be included in the Army Arc or not.

That's funny... I can find battles and such just fine in legends mode.  It doesn't have a "battles" tab, if that's what you mean, but it's all the yellow stuff in the "The Age of ____" catagories.

I haven't gone looking for animal attacks specifically, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: February 12, 2011, 02:05:14 am »

Yeah - the age listings have battles in them, and you can take a look, but I recall Toady mentioning that legends mode needs some love.  If you look at those historical battles now though, you see some pretty idiotic things.  Named battles between an army of 5000 humans, against a single elf, for example.  I suspect that there are numerous in-the-works plans for historical battles - one of which i remember being mentioned was the option to look into some kind of region map and see the forces moving around, once the battle simulator is a little less stupid. 

So yes, you can look at battles now, and someday you will be able to see more. 
where is up?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: February 12, 2011, 11:35:44 am »

Toady you planned for release 2 of the current arc "Work with 3D mineral veins and mine maps" does this include 3D Stone-blobs? Like microline being more a spheric inclusion then a circle-ish sheet in the surrounding stone.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: February 12, 2011, 01:37:05 pm »

Toady you planned for release 2 of the current arc "Work with 3D mineral veins and mine maps" does this include 3D Stone-blobs? Like microline being more a spheric inclusion then a circle-ish sheet in the surrounding stone.
Oh good.  More microline.
where is up?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: February 12, 2011, 02:25:00 pm »

Oh hell, I hope the radius of 3D clusters is shortened a bit to compensate for the extra stuff on the other levels.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: February 12, 2011, 03:53:09 pm »

Ratmen mysteriously vanished in the transition from 40d to DF 2010. Since you'll now be adding new creatures such as bees, maintaining the sameness of the creature raws between versions will no longer matter as much. Assuming the removal of ratmen was an oversight, does this mean we will see ratmen reintroduced in the next version of DF?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: February 12, 2011, 04:40:08 pm »

Oh hell, I hope the radius of 3D clusters is shortened a bit to compensate for the extra stuff on the other levels.

I think the large cluster mechanism will be updated to have more variations, not just one big fat blob o' microcline right in the middle of every map square on every z-level. Think of a bag of marbles, not a coin stack.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: February 12, 2011, 06:10:52 pm »

I know, I was imagining them as sort of vaguely spherical.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: February 12, 2011, 08:03:58 pm »

... although I'm not sure actual geology works that way, though.  They shouldn't all be the same depth, but at the same time, layers are layers because they are created at different times through different geological methods.  A geode might form inside of a small pocket in the stone, but a total sphere doesn't seem like the sort of thing that should happen.

... I'm going to Wikipedia to look at how these things actually form, be back later...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: February 12, 2011, 08:23:09 pm »

Atleast stuff like granit can come in blobs. Its depends on the material and how hard and plastic the material is.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: February 12, 2011, 08:37:02 pm »

Granite is a layer.

Microcline and other feldspars are apparently formed in igneous layers just based upon having a set number of the right types of minerals forming together in one place.  They stick around in metamorphic layers just by not changing. Their formation should roughly reflect the shape of the layer they are found in.  If it came up in a volcanic vent that cooled at or near the surface, it should be a flat blob of a stratified layer.  If it cooled in a magma chamber, it should be a lining of that magma chamber, reflecting the path that the magma took to get there, so a tube and a bulb type of shape. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: February 12, 2011, 08:43:27 pm »

these layers should be several z levels tall, though, there should be enough space in a layer for spherical clusters

wich reminds me of something...
Quote from: dev page
# Work with 3D mineral veins and mine maps
will stone layers become less... flat? i mean:
Spoiler: picture (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 342