Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566234 times)

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4665 on: April 25, 2011, 11:15:48 am »

On the topic of "weird folklore monsters," I just remembered magical penis thieves.
...if you run Deons, beware.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: April 25, 2011, 11:59:02 am »

I think Release 9 is going to be the most interesting release. You buy a cottage, and with adventure mode reactions become a crafting or one thing or another -- and then you sell your useless crafts to people for as much gold as you can get, and then you pile your house sky high with gold and swim around in it (half-literally).

That's what I'm gonna do.

No, not really - I'm gonna be a vegetable trader. But I'll try that too.

I plan to be a cattle rancher, on the theory that once the novelty of being able to ranch in an RPG wears off I can push it to extremes, and try to perform successful cattle raids until I control the worlds supply of beef. Then perform genocide.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: April 25, 2011, 08:37:24 pm »

From looking at the DF talk and listening to all the new features coming along for the cities and trading arc. Especially with the urban night creatures I might as well ask Toady the following.
Have you considered the possibiitly that since your making sewers and other building structure about including graveyards?

Perhaps even a possibility that the graveyard could be haunted you maybe you'l have to go extermine the undead? I think that would be sort of fun.

I don't know if this is releated enough with the current arc. But I thought that since cities are being made this would be a good oprotunity to ask since it just seems to make sense.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: April 25, 2011, 09:00:31 pm »

I plan to be a cattle rancher, on the theory that once the novelty of being able to ranch in an RPG wears off I can push it to extremes, and try to perform successful cattle raids until I control the worlds supply of beef. Then perform genocide.

I've already been doing something along the lines of making a hunter instead of an adventurer.  Killing animals (aggressive and non-aggressive alike) butchering the corpses and selling crafts made from the results(thanks to a home-brew mod).  It is actually quite entertaining despite how I expected it to be grindy and boring.  And it actually seems to be a reliable and comparatively safe (compared to running into a dragon lair, grabbing loot and running for your life) way to make money.  Even without the mod to allow crafting, the raw materials from the butchering like the hide and the meat products seem to fetch a pretty good price in shops for the effort.

Can't wait til I can actually build a hunting hut and stuff like that to store things and act as a safe base of operations more than a day's travel from civilization.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: April 25, 2011, 09:39:36 pm »

I've already been doing something along the lines of making a hunter instead of an adventurer.  Killing animals (aggressive and non-aggressive alike) butchering the corpses and selling crafts made from the results(thanks to a home-brew mod).  It is actually quite entertaining despite how I expected it to be grindy and boring.  And it actually seems to be a reliable and comparatively safe (compared to running into a dragon lair, grabbing loot and running for your life) way to make money.  Even without the mod to allow crafting, the raw materials from the butchering like the hide and the meat products seem to fetch a pretty good price in shops for the effort.

Can't wait til I can actually build a hunting hut and stuff like that to store things and act as a safe base of operations more than a day's travel from civilization.

Last time I did much adventuring I went for a Gentleman Adventurer vibe, attempting to kill all animals in the world. Went pretty well up until I tried the caverns- kept getting wiped out by GCS and Blind Cave Ogres before I realized they were there.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: April 25, 2011, 09:49:51 pm »

Have you considered the possibiitly that since your making sewers and other building structure about including graveyards?

This is from the old dev goals, but since it's a core item and graveyards are much easier to implement than the catacombs that are currently being implemented, I'd expect it sooner rather than later:

Quote from: dev_single
# Core68, GRAVEYARDS AND TOMBS, (Future): Right now the dead are so dead they don't exist outside of the fantastic memories of the people that have heard of them. There should be various methods of disposal, some adventure-full ones being graveyards and tombs, including large and elaborate tombs with all sorts of treasure and traps appropriate for the civilization that created them. Related to Core67.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: April 26, 2011, 12:21:58 am »

This is from the old dev goals, but since it's a core item and graveyards are much easier to implement than the catacombs that are currently being implemented, I'd expect it sooner rather than later:

Quote from: dev_single
# Core68, GRAVEYARDS AND TOMBS, (Future): Right now the dead are so dead they don't exist outside of the fantastic memories of the people that have heard of them. There should be various methods of disposal, some adventure-full ones being graveyards and tombs, including large and elaborate tombs with all sorts of treasure and traps appropriate for the civilization that created them. Related to Core67.

Toady did say that the new catacomb additions and their inhabitants had fortress mode implications.

You can always use DFHack to convert an abandoned fort into a lair so your items don't scramble when you leave the map, and use that as your HQ.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: April 26, 2011, 03:17:18 pm »

Not really. Guild Wars - MMO where you could not really improve character with grinding also ended up being grindfest because people still wanted pretty items (even if they were sometimes less powerfull that ordinary ones) and nice title under character name.

Grind also happens when you run out of content. No-one sane will grind that +3 right away. But grinding it when they run out of interesting quests/dungeons/exploration/whatever is natural choice - the only other solution is to quit game. Also noted in GW. People were done playing but did not want to quit so they ASKED for grind.

I can think of precisely one online game that isn't a grindfest, and it's the only MMO I've ever paid for. These days it's gone a bit downhill in terms of the size and quality of the population (which more or less makes or breaks the game) and the implementation of a whole variety of features (although the new devs say they'll be fixing that, eventually) and a very, very small grind that only a small portion of the population partakes in for any length of time, but it's still reasonably decent.

Anyway, on to the point of that lot. Grinding isn't absolutely necessary in a game, but it is very, very difficult to avoid. With sufficient levels of depth and complexity and / or a reliance on the abilities of the individual sitting at the screen above and beyond stats within the game, it is doable, but it will need an awful lot of thinking and planning in advance to make it work at all (as shown by the above example - a series of very minor adjustments utterly destroyed the balance that had previously existed for a long while (years), that it's only just beginning to recover from).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: April 26, 2011, 10:31:11 pm »

On the topic of "weird folklore monsters," I just remembered magical penis thieves.

*just read that*

OoooOOOOoooh!  What a nice find!  That's exactly the sort of article I love.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: April 26, 2011, 11:04:07 pm »

I agree with NW -- a lot of stuff is probably at least initially gonna be a grindfest. However, I'm fine with that until the novelty of it wears off!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: April 26, 2011, 11:17:04 pm »

Not really. Guild Wars - MMO where you could not really improve character with grinding also ended up being grindfest because people still wanted pretty items (even if they were sometimes less powerfull that ordinary ones) and nice title under character name.

Grind also happens when you run out of content. No-one sane will grind that +3 right away. But grinding it when they run out of interesting quests/dungeons/exploration/whatever is natural choice - the only other solution is to quit game. Also noted in GW. People were done playing but did not want to quit so they ASKED for grind.

I can think of precisely one online game that isn't a grindfest, and it's the only MMO I've ever paid for. These days it's gone a bit downhill in terms of the size and quality of the population (which more or less makes or breaks the game) and the implementation of a whole variety of features (although the new devs say they'll be fixing that, eventually) and a very, very small grind that only a small portion of the population partakes in for any length of time, but it's still reasonably decent.

Anyway, on to the point of that lot. Grinding isn't absolutely necessary in a game, but it is very, very difficult to avoid. With sufficient levels of depth and complexity and / or a reliance on the abilities of the individual sitting at the screen above and beyond stats within the game, it is doable, but it will need an awful lot of thinking and planning in advance to make it work at all (as shown by the above example - a series of very minor adjustments utterly destroyed the balance that had previously existed for a long while (years), that it's only just beginning to recover from).
Or Urist the resource gatherer/auction house economic speculator.

Really though, the reason to why every MMO bogs down to a lame grind race is because in the end its the numbers on your equipment and not your skill that matters most.

But anyway, having a slice of economy is necessary for the DF roleplaying experience get closer to being complete. Imagine playing as a trader, gathering enough wealth to buy yourself a nice mansion in the richest part of the town, become a member of nobility through your money and influence and eventualy usurp the throne. An RPG doesn't need to consist only of "I HIT ARGUEBARGLE WITH MY STEEL SWORD +3"
Well toady has mentioned a fast forward feature for stuff like meditating under a waterfall for a week or hanging out in giant tree for 3 days. Given that you have the tools and corresponding rooms i could imagine the same would apply to farming. And you could still hire some people to help you out with the farming given that you have some cash. 

Well, the point I was trying to raise is that, while this stuff can be a part of the game, that doesn't mean that just because we have to include some crafting and a way to make a living off of doing crafting, we shouldn't be coming up with ways to make it more fun. (Or Fun, as the case may be.)

I have played relatively few MMO games, and never played World of Warcraft, and generally only liked the ones I liked, however briefly, because I liked the people I was playing with, and generally just went with the grind because that's what you had to do, keep up with your friends. 

There was only one MMO that I actually "enjoyed the grind" with, and that was Puzzle Pirates. 

I loved carpentry.  Most people hated carpentry, too, which was all the better for me, because I could go into sieges, pull incredibles all day, and walk away with boatloads of cash for my trouble.  I didn't care whether anybody needed carpentry or not, if I was on a boat where I didn't have to care about the outcome of the battle too much, I would carp, and was basically capable of single-handedly keeping a mid-sized ship in top shape.

I actually only started getting bored with the game when I did get involved with the community, and wound up having to play the games I didn't like as much. (The damn non-combat navigation puzzle... which was very boring and repetitive, but which I was the best in my flag at, so I wound up either soloing to raise money by navigating around all the time, or I was navigating for my crew because it's an important job, and I was the best at it.  Also, loading cannons.) 

The thing is, you don't really have levels in Puzzle Pirates, you just have property and cash, and you do things to get money and buy neat things like your own boat or large houses and furniture and clothing, and if you gather enough people in your crew and enough crews to make a flag and enough boats under your flag, you can even go claiming islands. 

I'm kind of drifting WAAAAY off point, but what I'm trying to say is that there are a few ways to make these things actually enjoyable and worth doing for more than just having the option to do them. 

One way is to make there be a reward for grinding cash.  To an extent, being able to buy land and build a house is certainly something, if only for the "dollhouse" fun of being able to construct your own personal little playpen.  Still, this makes the grinding a bit of a chore to be done in order to get to the fun parts.

The second way is to make the grinding itself fun and interesting.  This means that, like Puzzle Pirates, you make the part where you actually are crafting something into a minigame that people would enjoy for its own sake. 

In Puzzle Pirates, I didn't like the distilling minigame, but I had to go through the motions of being good at it to supply my crew with the stockpiles of rum they needed.  I actually rather liked the alchemy minigame, though, and would happily waste time playing alchemy, even though I was only "practicing" so that I wouldn't waste my labor points that I needed to spend on distilling. 

If the grind itself is fun, then you don't really need anything at the other end of the grind to make the tedious parts worth it - after all, many games have a "grind" where you have to go through successive levels or stages before you get to the final boss, but generally speaking, the actual act of rampaging through the maps is exactly what you came for in the first place, not seeing the credits roll. 

If, for example, hunting all by itself is fun, especially if we make all the animals have more distinct behaviors, so that hunting different animals really does feel different, and not like a wild horse is basically the same thing as a mountain goat, but larger, then we can have a fun game just hunting those wild animals. 

Likewise, if we want to make driving a caravan fun, we might want to look at the classic Koei Uncharted Waters series, where you sailed as a merchant trader, explorer, or even pirate of the Age of Exploration.  Searching out and exploiting trade routes, evading pirates, and picking fights with targets of opportunity whose national alliances happened to be enemies of your own were all fun in and of their own right, especially when you have things like the ability to make investments in certain ports to develop their markets, and having temporarily fulfilled the demand or exhausted the supply of certain routes, forcing you to find new ones. 

For something like a "living the life of a farmer/clothier/potter/bowyer/cheesemaker" to be a fun game, we need to introduce something that might make the actual act of whatever labor it is you are doing become interesting.

I'm not sure if Puzzle Pirate-style minigames even fit with DF's motif, much less are a right answer, but there should be an effort to put some kind of dynamic spin on most of the jobs that a player can take up.

The third way to make things enjoyable, however, is to make the world around it enjoyable.  This is what most MMO games live upon - they have a boring, repetitive game, but you can play it with your friends, and you derive all your fun from hanging out with people that you like online.  (And the game is agonizing if you hate the people you play with.)

In order to do this, as I hinted at before, you need to generate procedural populations in towns that are actually fun to get to know. 

This goes hand in hand with the sort of "The Sims" dollhouse aspect of the game, where you can basically not only make your own little cottage on the edge of town, but where you can then go out and interact with the neighbors in some sort of meaningful way.  In The Sims, this means doing things like setting up block parties or trying to have a character that "Woohoos" as many other characters as possible, or otherwise having some sort of way in which you can feel like your character is participating in a world with characters that have motivations and their own personal dramas.  Then, you can start trying to manipulate the story to your own liking.

Ideally, these characters would be capable of telling some sort of procedurally-generated life story where one boy is in love with a girl he's known forever, but she ignores him for the wild boy who spent time living with elves, and plays up his foreign tastes, but is a big show-off and phony.  Or the competition of the two most notorious gossiping housewives in town.  Or what the Dark Duck Saloon's barkeep has been putting in his brew that's been suddenly getting him so much more of the business around town...

And then you can walk in and kick dirt all over all the personal dramas however you want.

Maybe the examples I've listed are a bit too much to ask of DF any time soon, but something at least approaching what The Sims has will hopefully be the minimum goal.

Wow, that was a lot more writing than I thought it would be.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: April 27, 2011, 12:29:32 am »

Right. If you can't eliminate grinding altogether (which IS possible; the Flash RPG Sonny 2 is a good example of this), then trying to make the grinding fun can work out quite well.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: April 27, 2011, 08:34:34 am »

You have to remember that this is Dwarf Fortress, if something feels like grind you do it slightly differently.
Do I herd the cattle around the elven commune or through it? Do I attempt to herd badgers instead? Do I now herd the badgers into the night creatures lair? Do I sell badger and night creature corpses for fun and profit?

Even this doesn't compare to creating a farm dedicated to making Rhesus-Pieces.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: April 27, 2011, 12:20:04 pm »

You have to remember that this is Dwarf Fortress, if something feels like grind you do it slightly differently.
Do I herd the cattle around the elven commune or through it? Do I attempt to herd badgers instead? Do I now herd the badgers into the night creatures lair? Do I sell badger and night creature corpses for fun and profit?

Even this doesn't compare to creating a farm dedicated to making Rhesus-Pieces.

That's if it's a farm or ranch, though. 

Merchants who travel and have to avoid bandits, ranchers raising wild animals, and especially adventurers all have fairly dynamic jobs where you can do things very differently to accomplish the same tasks, and where you are actively avoiding real threats.

If you are a smith, a clothier, a cheesemaker, what do you really do?  Unless "I don't feel like sewing cloth anymore, I want to sew a garment made of live badgers!" is an option, or you have to somehow do battle against the curds and whey to complete the cheese making activity, then those jobs are going to be pretty much just taking raw materials to a workshop, and hitting the "make stuff" button.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: April 27, 2011, 12:26:46 pm »

I was wondering: Will night creature generation ever be able to produce night creatures that feed on/are repelled by abstract concepts, such as happiness, the laughter of children, contentement, rage, etc.?
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 342