Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 56

Author Topic: Supernatural Mafia 6 - Game Over!  (Read 160470 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia 6 - Day 1 Wakes the Sleepers
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2013, 06:11:36 pm »

Max White— What do you hope to learn from the question you just asked Tiruin?
You know it is generally considered poor form to interject on peoples questions before they have been answered. It has the possibility to alter how they will answer, kind of defeating the point. Subtle form of buddying you see.
Very interesting that out of all the questions asked so far you specifically zoned in on the one directed at Tiruin. I'm left wondering why. We will get to that once I have my answers.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2013, 06:19:06 pm »

Max
You know it is generally considered poor form to interject on peoples questions before they have been answered. It has the possibility to alter how they will answer, kind of defeating the point. Subtle form of buddying you see.
Very interesting that out of all the questions asked so far you specifically zoned in on the one directed at Tiruin. I'm left wondering why. We will get to that once I have my answers.
It's perfectly fair to wait until after Tiruin has answered. On reasoning it through, you're quite right in that it was bad form of me to be impatient in this regard. So in fact, we can pick this up after her response. My early game isn't always the best, I prefer to have concrete things to work with. As such, I'll be bearing a close eye on how people will be voting today. What to you constitutes a valid reason to lynch someone on Day One?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2013, 06:27:48 pm »

@All: How would you describe your typical playstyle as town? As scum?

From what I'm told I'm the worst player to have in any mafia game ever. That's according to Solifuge. I also apparently have a strong tendency towards giving up when the odds start getting stacked against me. Though I've not played in enough games for me to be able to say much more. I like to focus on a few people at a time though I'll often only say stuff about the one.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2013, 06:29:53 pm »

It's perfectly fair to wait until after Tiruin has answered. On reasoning it through, you're quite right in that it was bad form of me to be impatient in this regard. So in fact, we can pick this up after her response. My early game isn't always the best, I prefer to have concrete things to work with. As such, I'll be bearing a close eye on how people will be voting today. What to you constitutes a valid reason to lynch someone on Day One?
Eh, its day 1, the most valid reason to lynch somebody is because they are acting like scum.
So you say your early game isn't always the best... Why do you feel like pointing that out? What difference does it make?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2013, 06:35:22 pm »

EVERYONE: What role would you most like to have and why?
Well in the only Mafia game I've played on the forum I got Night killed D1 so being knight would be nice. That, thief, and Monster Hunter all seem like the most interesting types.

Town: Scumhunting everyone and worrying about whether I picked the guy who was actually scum.
Scum: Haven't been one yet but similar to town probably.

Persus13— Which players are you most familiar with here?
Imp and Kleril, as they are the only ones I've played with.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2013, 06:47:01 pm »

Nerjin
From what I'm told I'm the worst player to have in any mafia game ever.
I'm sure you've won more games than me so you can't be the worst. There can only be one. Still, do you intend to follow up on any of the answers people have given to your catch-all question? Or are you going to save us all some time and admit that you're scum already?

Max
Eh, its day 1, the most valid reason to lynch somebody is because they are acting like scum.

So you say your early game isn't always the best... Why do you feel like pointing that out? What difference does it make?
You see 'acting like scum' is quite nebulous. The most concrete scummy behaviour in my eyes is shown in patterns of votes, interaction with confirmed scum, strength of cases and general game-engagement. All of which are hard to see clearly on the first day. There are, however, certain Day One actions that set off alarm bells for me.

What I should have said is that I don't think anyone's early game is particularly good, because of the paucity of information. Also, when I make a mistake of play I try to own up to it: it was wrong of me to question your questioning before the original respondent had responded and it was right of you to pick up on that. I've got my own ideas about this, but do you think there's such a thing as a good Day One scum-tell?

Persus
What impression do you have of Imp and Kleril's playstyles?

Cmega3
I've never actually played Mafia before.
Oh! I'm sure you'll pick it up just fine. From any of the answers any of the other players have given to questions, does anything strike you as suspicious?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2013, 06:53:00 pm »

Devil(demon?) seems pretty cool. Buying souls for da ULTIMATE POWER.

Haven't really developed one enough to say, so I'll go ahead and proclaim noob-style. How would you describe your own playstyle?

Caz: One of many new faces to me! Tell me, have you much experience with games of this nature that aren't as clear cut?

Nope! I have no idea what I'm doing. Played a few beginner mafias and enjoyed the #mafia irc. I read through the previous Supernatural games to get a feel, though. Any common newbie mistakes I should watch out for?

Caz Do you cave easily under pressure?

Yes. You've given me palpitations.

Nerjin - If you were a monster hunter, who would you pick for a night kill? Would you use it as soon as possible or wait for a better opportunity?

notquitethere - Do you think that policy-lynching lurkers is ever a good strategy? Do you see this strategy as scummy or town-orientated?

Imp - You die, and resurrect as a 3rd party (survivor). Do you claim your new role? Why/why not?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2013, 06:59:04 pm »

You see 'acting like scum' is quite nebulous. The most concrete scummy behaviour in my eyes is shown in patterns of votes, interaction with confirmed scum, strength of cases and general game-engagement. All of which are hard to see clearly on the first day. There are, however, certain Day One actions that set off alarm bells for me.

What I should have said is that I don't think anyone's early game is particularly good, because of the paucity of information. Also, when I make a mistake of play I try to own up to it: it was wrong of me to question your questioning before the original respondent had responded and it was right of you to pick up on that. I've got my own ideas about this, but do you think there's such a thing as a good Day One scum-tell?
If scumtells are a little murky it is because scum tends to be pretty murky, especially when things like interactions with confirmed scum don't exist yet. Its day 1, if you want absolute and clear cut guild lines I have bad news for you, they don't actually exist. The best day 1 tells are the ones that work at the time. People make all sorts of mistakes, and then you press them on it and you see what they do.

Now if you don't think anybody is very good with day 1 play, that still doesn't explain why you would want to actually bring that up. Ok, I get it, you want to go off the most objective reasoning you can and as that doesn't actually exist right now that means nobody is that good. If that is your measure of success then cool, fine! But that isn't what I asked. Why did you feel the need to bring it up?

Nope! I have no idea what I'm doing. Played a few beginner mafias and enjoyed the #mafia irc. I read through the previous Supernatural games to get a feel, though. Any common newbie mistakes I should watch out for?
Why would I try to stop you making mistakes? Isn't that why we are here?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2013, 07:03:25 pm »

Huh.  Having read through the previous supernaturals, this is so not the tone I was expecting this game to start with; thought there'd be a lot more red and a lot fewer general questions.  I happen to really like general questions in general (as well as specific ones specifically).  I really hope those asking general questions will also answer their own too at some point.

Vanilla Town, which in this game appears to me to closest translate as witch or sexton, I see those as having been before/having overall the potential to be the weakest Town roles.

If you have nothing but your words and your vote, then you have nothing to wait for, no special 'thing' that you have to wonder if you should be a bit careful of in order to improve your chances of setting up some great use for your great secret.  There's no reason for you not to try and avoid being a good kill target, you can even read your death PM and feel proud that you 'took one for your team', allowing other Town players who may have special abilities more time for set up and use, having used your words and your vote for all the time you had to the greatest possible effect you could see.

I think I shouldn't answer this one as asked; I've only played in two games and neither has ended or reached a point that has proved my role yet.  So I'll answer this variant instead: "How would you describe your typical playstyle"    ... I hope it's this, to quote Heinlein (who in one case was quoting Stevenson):  I intend to play "brightly, brightly, and with beauty"; when I look back on my games I want to read and feel my emotions again:  "Glad did I live and gladly die and I lay me down with a will"

Imp— There are a lot of players, do you intend to apply pressure to all of them?
Oh, I really want to!  In the ongoing BM I had trouble counting to 8, I needed to make notes and double check myself when I was trying to keep tabs on 'everyone'.  That doesn't make me feel super confident that I can count to 11.  In that BM I noticed that I have some trouble with simultaneous multiple followup; 2 seems to be my current comfort zone as far as time and mental dexterity goes and I've made careful forays into pressing 3 at once.

Cmega3:
Cmega3— What's the biggest thing you've learned from your recent playing experience?
I've never actually played Mafia before.

Is your answer an explanation for why you won't be answering that question, or is that actually your answer, the "biggest thing you've learned from your recent playing experience" is that "[You've] never actually played Mafia before"?

A general question for all:

Supernatural 5 ended with the escape of Scum Webadict and a banishment/KOS declaration on him.  The OP made mention that it could be an interesting backstory for a future Supernatural if one was needed.  Do you think this game will prove to connect to that game in a way that includes that backstory?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2013, 07:16:45 pm »

Whups, meant to ask a second general question too:

Of the various main and third party roles which have appeared in Supernatural games, which do you think you'd have the easiest or hardest time winning with?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2013, 07:17:02 pm »

Persus
What impression do you have of Imp and Kleril's playstyles?
Imp can be really invested in Mafia and plays very intensely (and often posts huge walls of Text). I didn't get a read on him as much because when I played with him he was being attacked by multiple people and was either lashing out at who he thought responsible for buddying him or trying to defend himself.

notquitethere: Is this question the wrong question to ask and why is that?

Caz: I haven't seen or heard of you before. You new like me or just haven't been in anything I've noticed?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2013, 07:33:34 pm »

Why would I try to stop you making mistakes? Isn't that why we are here?
It's in your best interests for me to play effectively, unless you are scum. What scum variety are you, by the way?

Oh, I really want to!  In the ongoing BM I had trouble counting to 8, I needed to make notes and double check myself when I was trying to keep tabs on 'everyone'.  That doesn't make me feel super confident that I can count to 11.  In that BM I noticed that I have some trouble with simultaneous multiple followup; 2 seems to be my current comfort zone as far as time and mental dexterity goes and I've made careful forays into pressing 3 at once.
Do you keep notes in a file on likely scum candidates? Would you share all of your findings with the rest of the town? If not, why?

Looks like I'm going to have to get out a notebook. Keeping 10 names and suspicions is a bit difficult.

Of the various main and third party roles which have appeared in Supernatural games, which do you think you'd have the easiest or hardest time winning with?
Probably survivor. They tend to be disliked by both town and scum and so don't live very long after the MC.

Caz: I haven't seen or heard of you before. You new like me or just haven't been in anything I've noticed?
I'm pretty green, yeah. Do you have reads on anyone in the game yet? Who looks the most town to you so far?

Supernatural 5 ended with the escape of Scum Webadict and a banishment/KOS declaration on him.  The OP made mention that it could be an interesting backstory for a future Supernatural if one was needed.  Do you think this game will prove to connect to that game in a way that includes that backstory?

No idea, though webadict and his predecessor (forget the name) did well to appear town. I don't think he was suspected through the whole game.

notquitethere, you look pretty suspicious, responding and and asking questions to everyone personally. I'll watch you for now, but I'm very prone to changing my thoughts.

How is this suspicious? Do you respond to questions via your scum secretary? What a weak argument.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2013, 07:43:33 pm »

It's in your best interests for me to play effectively, unless you are scum. What scum variety are you, by the way?
Ok so tip 1 then: Nobody is so stupid that they will just admit to being scum. If you want to play effectively, try actually doing something that has the potential to get results rather than these useless questions to try and appear to be helpful.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2013, 07:46:46 pm »

Do you keep notes in a file on likely scum candidates? Would you share all of your findings with the rest of the town? If not, why?

Looks like I'm going to have to get out a notebook. Keeping 10 names and suspicions is a bit difficult.

Caz: How many players are in this game, counting yourself?

To answer you... carefully... because you're (sort of) asking about an ongoing game that I'm still alive in, and I understand that we're not supposed to discuss those until that changes, I have not as yet made a formal personal file; I made notepad notes to make a thread, and post it for all (Town and Scum, no way to show just Town) to see.  My main assumption has been that I can't count on being here for the dawn of the next D; anything I take to the grave with me is lost; it might make sense to run with plans that need a real-life day or two to complete but I'd better not make any plans of any sort that go past the current D.  This game could have revivals or speaking with the dead, but that's seriously iffy in many ways - I'm leaning towards not taking plans or information past the current D because that could be their/my expiration date.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2013, 07:52:47 pm »

Why do I always forget to answer the everybody questions?

Hope so, just because back story is fun. Not likely, from the opening text, and Wubba ain't here to play the role (And it would have to be Wubba) but still, there is a hope.

Whups, meant to ask a second general question too:

Vampires have a history of being over somewhat over powered, so I guess that would be easy mode. Apart from that I only know one third party, and that was Toony the Devil. That looks like a somewhat tricky role now that one of them has won and people are unlikely to ever take a deal again.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 56