Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 289722 times)

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter II: Ice and Fire
« Reply #1005 on: December 28, 2017, 12:17:30 pm »

B and we will probably ask the hammerspace parrot to say ASAP to Erins quill "Hey, people who see the future showed us that you are free from jail, if possibl, come here as fast as you can and start thinking in antidotes"

we should ask to discover people who will SURELY resist the bioweapon. or that will survive in a big number of timelines, this way we can work on an antidote faster, especially with Erin
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 28, 2017, 06:13:00 pm »

I forget, have we mentioned that Erin is a Reluctant Mad Scientist before? I think we did a list of Celling's tropes, but not Erin's.

He absolutely is, but differs in two regards from the picture painted by that trope page:

• He isn't totally neutral and takes an active role in ensuring that his discoveries remain in good hands and that the world is safe for humanity.
  • He doesn't subscribe to this "attachments make you weak" stuff; he's married.

And we have a general purpose trope list. Which I posted somewhere up the thread. And I should really get on expanding. I'll post a link when I have time.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 28, 2017, 06:43:22 pm »

I forget, have we mentioned that Erin is a Reluctant Mad Scientist before? I think we did a list of Celling's tropes, but not Erin's.

He absolutely is, but differs in two regards from the picture painted by that trope page:

• He isn't totally neutral and takes an active role in ensuring that his discoveries remain in good hands and that the world is safe for humanity.
  • He doesn't subscribe to this "attachments make you weak" stuff; he's married.

And we have a general purpose trope list. Which I posted somewhere up the thread. And I should really get on expanding. I'll post a link when I have time.
Well, yeah, he's not a perfect example of the trope, but just because it's bent a little bit doesn't mean it's broken.

EDIT: what happened to using d7s for all rolls involving Celling?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:23:55 am by Glass »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 29, 2017, 08:11:40 pm »

Thank you for reminding me! That's still in play. There have been no rolls since that was stated. Random number picks, yes, but those aren't rolls and that buff specifically targets dice rolls.

Remind me... did I promise you a limited-turn buff at some point? I recall making that a possible outcome...
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 29, 2017, 08:17:24 pm »

Not that I can recall, no.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 31, 2017, 01:08:02 pm »

Ok, good. Because this is rapidly reaching Order of the Stick levels of interleaving and interrupted plotlines. The only difference being that this is spread over 4 months not a decade, but so far we've forgotten about:

• The initial "choose your weakness" choice
  • The Andantesite control severing device
  • Badges and fingerprint scanners
  • Protests regarding dogs
  • The captured rebels
  • The rebels themselves. Padelheb was just so bad that he wiped the main point of this conflict right off the map.

Also, that's why there's been no updates lately. I've been reading Order of the Stick. All of it.

Seriously.

Update coming soon.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 31, 2017, 01:34:24 pm »

And now I will be reading
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 01, 2018, 01:28:58 am »

Happy new year, all.

This will be updated at some point...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 01, 2018, 09:33:03 am »

Don't worry, only you forgot about the rebels. I still want to defect.
As for the initial choice, it was a relatively small and obvious part of every evil empire that was canceled out in terms of what our bonuses are.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 01, 2018, 10:29:57 am »

Don't worry, only you forgot about the rebels. I still want to defect.
As for the initial choice, it was a relatively small and obvious part of every evil empire that was canceled out in terms of what our bonuses are.

But the point still remains. I planned out a lot of things that were thrown wholesale out the window once the next plot showed up.

Don't worry, if when the rebels get to Antarctica it'll probably come back as a Brick Joke of sorts.

EDIT: And we didn't forget the rebels as much as not care anymore. I mean, since Padelheb rose, how many times have we mentioned rebels? Once, when we wanted to join them.

Padelheb was just such a Big Bad that he wiped the original conflict right off the map. I'm actually kinda concerned about this. Like I've said, with someone as bad as Padelheb on the table, it's actually plot-possible for you to win - negating the whole point of this story.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:33:03 am by blueturtle1134 »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 01, 2018, 02:37:02 pm »

You have chosen B and I’m also including the suggestions from Glass and Omada

“So just how sure are you that this Padelheb is behind all this?”

“I’m not sure, but it’s likely that he is!” Celling replies.

David Eborrenial turned back to the mountain valley that he’d shouted into. A procession of men and women of all ages was trudging up the slope toward the temple. “What are we doing now, David?” one girl shouted.

“Everyone break into groups of three, get out Burlew-Glimshaw chronometers and get ready to do a breadth-first whole-timeline initial survey!” he shouted back.

“Why? What are we looking for now?”

By now the other Protinam were at the door. “Lock onto Antarctica,” David replied.

“Antarctica?” a middle-aged bald man asked skeptically.

“I know that it’s excluded! That doesn’t matter anymore! Erin Quill’s been jailed - that means he’s not affecting the timestream anymore - so it’s likely dropped.”

They walked into the door and split off into different corridors, muttering to each other. Celling turned to David. “So what-”

“What’s a Burlew-Glimshaw chronometer?” David interrupted. “It helps determine where you are in the timestream. Neurally interfaces with a Visionary’s mind and provides feedback on certain mental pathways to help us determine how far in the future you’re looking. It’s like a 4th dimensional sextant. You’re still the one making the observations, it just alters your perception to provide you with a reference frame. When we’re doing fine work, we tend to discard them, but for an initial sweep of a timestream section they’re critical.”

“What are you going to do now?” Celling asked. “Find out whether Padelheb is behind this?”

“We’re going to determine the general layout and characteristics of the timelines in Antarctica.”

“With a focus on finding one that averts the plague.”

“Yes. Our first task is to determine if there is even a timeline that dodges the bioweapon. Our second step-”

“Determine how to get it?” asked Celling.

“No,” answered David. “Not by a long shot, no. I probably already told you this, but we can’t just trace a timeline back to its point of divergence. We have to just guess at decisions that might be made. Sometimes it’ll be a point of divergence, sometimes just a random mundane decision, but we can’t tell which is which.”

“So what can you do?”

“Well… see what the timelines without the plague have different from those with it. I mean, just the fact that a decision is available says things about the timeline.”

“Do you need our help narrowing it down? So you can get a better idea?”

“No, we can’t. Not at all.”

“Can’t what?”

“Narrow it down. There’s not enough time before the window closes again.”

“How do you know?”

“I just checked,” David answers. He puts his hand on his chin. “I’m really sorry if I rambled on a bit about chronometers, but I was actually doing a quick run over of the gap in the Zone of Exclusion.”

“Just then? You don’t need to go into a trance or anything?”

“Oh, no no no,” David answered. “We need instrumentation to get real data, but any trained Protinam can take a quick poke around unassisted. And I found that three days from now, Erin Quill is released, shattering the timeline again. And the minimum we can look into the future is one day.”

“And this is fixed?” Celling asked. “And there’s no difference in when he’s released between timelines?”

David shrugged. “Three days is the minimum. Once one timeline shatters it drowns out all others. Also, residual shattering from when Quill was free means that we are dealing with at least 5500 timelines here. There’s just not enough time to set up experimentations and eliminate enough to make actual predictions.”

Celling nodded and asked, “So just what can you do?”

“Only what we can get indirectly, without picking out a certain timeline,” David said. “There are still things we can exploit. Like I said, just the fact that a decision is available tells us a lot. If we find that a certain decision is available in a large amount of timelines, for instance, we know that it alludes to an event that is likely to happen. That way we at least have some idea what’s coming and aren’t caught totally with our pants down.”

“Alright,” Celling said. A thought struck him. “David, I should really get back to Brazil High Command. We have a teleporting parrot there that can go to Antarctica. Quill needs to know what’s about to happen.”

“Sure, then,” David answered. “Just don’t try to break him out ahead of time. I’m not actually sure what happens if you try and deliberately contradict what I can see. I bet it just fails or fulfills itself, but it’s not worth a try.”

“So should I be doing anything to help you verify which timeline we’re in, or…”

“Yeah, yeah,” David replied. “I’ll send my files on the differences between the various timelines, as well as observations that will help decide it. You might want to stay around and see the results of our survey later today, though. Otherwise you could just send that parrot to pick them up as well.”

Your decision?
A: “I need to go now. This information must be reported as soon as possible.”
B: “I’ll stay around to see what you get. No rush.”

Notes:

No costs for this decision. It’s totally up to you.

To understand the ramifications of this, I’ll give you the timeline. It is now afternoon of the second day of Padelheb’s rule. As I’ve mentioned, this is all a flashback, so the rebels were/will be discovered night of the third day and this cannot be changed by any decision you make.

Should you return now, you can make it back by night of the second day. You then have a full day before the rebel conflict pops up - although I’d like you to stay in character and realize that at this point, Celling doesn’t know where the rebels will be. If you delay returning, you’ll have to stay the rest of the day and can only get back afternoon of the third day, i.e. just in time for the rebels.

The thing is that both Brazil High Command and the Protinam Temple might get other events and/or attacks that you have to respond to. You (the players) are not permitted to take control of either Madeline Merrowitz (general) or David Eborrenial (oracle) because they have not yet been briefed on the Fourth Wall. They do think like you, so they’ll probably do what you would do anyway - I haven’t settled on a mechanism for this. However, you have to take into account the chance of missing something.

Tl;dr - Would you rather spend the next 12 hours watching over General Merrowitz or David Eborrenial.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 01, 2018, 02:58:52 pm »

Give David a briefing on the fourth wall (additional control is nice, and I want to know what effect it has on his predictions), then return to base.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 01, 2018, 03:01:12 pm »

Give David a briefing on the fourth wall (additional control is nice, and I want to know what effect it has on his predictions), then return to base.

You can't convince someone of the fourth wall. Unless they arrive at it by their own intelligence they can't be convinced of it, they just laugh it off. Besides, Erin Quill has deliberately left some important people unaware of the fourth wall because the plotline will likely effect retribution on those that use it too much.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 01, 2018, 03:13:30 pm »

Fine. Just return to base. Maybe leave some hints to the fourth wall for our oracle to discover.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 203