Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Badass miners  (Read 1924 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Badass miners
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:16:06 am »

Anyone else noticing miners are pretty dangerous? Breached a cavern and a giant toad got into my fortress. made a few attempts to combat it with my unarmed military, then on the next reload it made the mistake of getting in my miners way when he was heading somewhere to break rocks. He then proceeded to beat the holy hell out of it until it collapsed unconscious, then went on his way without a single bruise. I can understand him being able to do more damage with a pick than without, but I've had wrestlers dismember things pretty brutally and they didn't fare so well in comparison.

Next instance: after a goblin ambush, I sent my workers out again and the miner went out for some reason. another ambush happened and another miner was stuck out there with a cheese maker. the goblins butchered the cheesemaker then chased the miner around for a while until they caught up. seeing blood on the  map, I feared they were killing him so I checked the combat log. It was several parries done by the miner, followed by the goblin charging, colliding with the miner and getting parried AGAIN. This time it results in a counter strike where he chops its arm off with that pick and proceeds to chase it and the other 4 FULLY ARMED goblins off the map. Honestly considering conscripting my miners into the military and seeing how they do with a real weapon.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Badass miners
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:29:27 am »

A good miner is a dangerous thing.  I had an FB get into my tunnels and run face-first into one of my miners.  He took it's head off with a single swing and continued on his way to work.  It's good for training up sworddwarves, i THINK.  Don't quote me on that.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 01:29:57 am »

The mining skill is used as the pickaxe wielding skill, resulting in the fact that your legendary miner is comparable to a legendary(axedwarf). They do lack the other skills(fighting, dodging, shield) tough.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:55:56 am »

whenever a miner goes berserk i know my fortress is going to come to its end VERY soon

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 03:32:59 am »

I'd recommend trying to use picks as your main melee weapon, have your recruits start out as miners digging through soil to gain some skill and then move them into your militia for further training. This might work quite nicely.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 04:01:06 am »

This does sound like a plan. Quick question though. I use Dwarf Therapist to see what dwarves are skilled in, but they don't really seem to be gaining levels in things they don't have at least level one in already. Does this mean dwarves won't gain levels in things they don't already have some sort of experience in, meaning I can't make a legendary miner out of a non-miner? Oh yes, and my mayor is hitting people with the butt of his crossbow by throwing too many tantrums. So far he hasn't found the trigger but its only a matter of time >_> Don't have a clue why he's pissed, everyone else seems fine =(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:07:39 am by Spacespinner »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 04:11:02 am »

Dwarves can gain experience from any profession, just remember to 'activate' that job. Dwarves who aren't told to mine will not mine.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 04:32:52 am »

[Insert name here], the Steam Badger has come! Beware it's deadly spittle!
Urist McMiner hacks Steam Badger with -copper pick- jamming skull! Steam Badger has been struck down!

Legendary miners are really dangerous.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 04:37:24 am »

...steam badger? really?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 04:54:30 am »

Uh, a steam beast would get oneshot by just about anything. It's more a mystery how the steam monster survived all this long when any impact will disintegrate it.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 05:17:46 am »

Picks generally outperform any 'real weapon' dwarves can make, just look at the raws or previous discussions on the forums.

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 11:48:09 am »

On a somewhat related note, just as you can use miners to improve your military, you can use military techniques to improve your miners.  A few minutes in a danger room will transform no-skill peasants into legendary miners.  No more wasted ore!
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 04:39:26 pm »

Uh, a steam beast would get oneshot by just about anything. It's more a mystery how the steam monster survived all this long when any impact will disintegrate it.

Very true, though I was just as perplexed when an FB made of salt swam up my aqueducts.

Got some weird looks from my roommate when I was screaming at my computer monitor that day.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 04:59:12 pm »