Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: DF eBook Megaproject  (Read 12479 times)

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
Re: DF eBook Megaproject
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2009, 07:43:56 pm »

So leave Sankis's section out?
Replace it with a link to the online archive.

Dystopian Rhetoric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2009, 07:47:12 pm »

I'm guessing that the copy-paste from free-legal-documents.com was just a pointless troll?

As a well known Dwarf Fortress tileset mogul and close personal friend of Sankis, I can assure you that this is not a troll. We have been consulting on this issue since we first became aware of it and are treating it with the utmost seriousness.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »

I'm guessing that the copy-paste from free-legal-documents.com was just a pointless troll?

As a well known Dwarf Fortress tileset mogul and close personal friend of Sankis, I can assure you that this is not a troll. We have been consulting on this issue since we first became aware of it and are treating it with the utmost seriousness.

I see what you did there

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2009, 07:51:52 pm »

Edit: Probably not a troll, that guy's been a member of the forum for quite awhile.  Long enough that he could easily be the very same Sankis.

Oh I'm sure it's him, but madlibbing the first Google result for "cease and desist" is like, something you'd do to scam impressionable grandmas.  He's not even acting like he wants to be taken seriously.

Dystopian Rhetoric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2009, 07:53:55 pm »

Oh I'm sure it's him, but madlibbing the first Google result for "cease and desist" is like, something you'd do to scam impressionable grandmas.  He's not even acting like he wants to be taken seriously.

He has limited legal funds at his disposal and wanted to act quickly to quash this before it got going? It goes without saying that the man is willing to lawyer up if need be.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2009, 07:56:27 pm »

You know what, I'm just going to be blunt here.

Sankis said it could go on a public archive (although the evidence that this was needed is innaccessable without paying money, which makes the claim seem somewhat shaky to me), where anyone can view it for free, and he's not using Boatmurdered to make money.  The OP is giving credit to the authors, and does not seek to make money either.  Since Boatmurdered is already free online, there is pretty much no way to eliminate free Boatmurdered viewing, as there are likely a number of people who have copied and pasted personal versions.  So trying to use it to make money is a bit of a moot point.  As a result of all this, there can be no damages.  None.  Nadda.  Therefore, Sankis shouldn't be able to sue for damages.  Now for the blunt part:  Any court to find the OP liable for nonexistant damages would have to be dumb as shit from a brainless ant.

Boatmurdered is free, has always been free, and likely will always be free, so what's the point?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:58:22 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dystopian Rhetoric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2009, 07:59:49 pm »

Could still get an injunction though. You need to realise that the LP archive is specifically licenced to publish Boatmurdered and Sankis actively pursues copyright claims against people who mirror it without permission. This is a protected copyright and needs to be respected.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2009, 08:04:02 pm »

So?  You can be less of a dick about it.  I happen to know this for a fact, because a family member happens to work for an author, and this sort of issue has come up with people this family member of mine liked.  The only thing the OP didn't do aside from pay money was ask the author, because he didn't think it'd be necessary for free stories.  Didn't know it'd be necessary.  People told him, and someone quickly moved to contact the authors.  There hasn't been any real harm.

Edit:  Oh, and there was actually money being made in the situation I mentioned.  The OP's intenetions were as innocent as the person I mentioned, and the person I mentioned didn't get harrassed by the author.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:07:26 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2009, 08:06:36 pm »

This thread just keeps getting better and better.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2009, 08:11:34 pm »

Sankis actively pursues copyright claims against people who mirror it without permission.

So has this $200 thing actually worked on anyone yet?  I have to say, that's not a very ambitious sum.  Did prior demands for one meeelion dollars not work out?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2009, 08:15:12 pm »

Sankis actively pursues copyright claims against people who mirror it without permission.

So has this $200 thing actually worked on anyone yet?  I have to say, that's not a very ambitious sum.  Did prior demands for one meeelion dollars not work out?
Given the situation, a penny would be asking too much.  And don't give me crap about what you're strictly able to do by law, because what you can strictly do by law would, in this situation, be a very, very, cruel thing to do.  It wouldn't be in every situation, but come on, the OP meant no harm and meant to make no profits.
Just so I remember

Darkfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2009, 08:18:47 pm »

If Sankis' contribution is used without his permission (and, in fact, with his express anti-mission), then I will have to withdraw my aforementioned consent as well.  I cannot support the infringement of creative rights.

Sankis, perhaps you and I and our legal counsel could pencil in a lunch next week, where we can discuss the possibility of a class action lawsuit? 

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2009, 08:21:59 pm »

If Sankis' contribution is used without his permission (and, in fact, with his express anti-mission), then I will have to withdraw my aforementioned consent as well.  I cannot support the infringement of creative rights.

Sankis, perhaps you and I and our legal counsel could pencil in a lunch next week, where we can discuss the possibility of a class action lawsuit? 
You guys are unbelievable.

Okay, look.  If the OP had come up and asked beforehand, would you have a problem with a downloadable Boatmurdered archive, as long as it had your legal permission? (directed at Sankis)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:29:02 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2009, 08:24:26 pm »

I just talked to Free-legal-document.com.  He says he'll be there!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2009, 08:35:44 pm »

That was his first post since 2007, and all just to try to shake a guy down for $200.  Frankly it just doesn't seem right.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8