Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unit list search  (Read 827 times)

zapwai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Unit list search
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:47:43 pm »

I understand the user interface is a well-known issue, but I feel like a short-term solution would be implementing a search feature in the unit list.

Ideally it would be.... hitting / to bring up a search bar you can type into, and then filtering the "name, profession" strings to display only a few dwarves.

Management of the dwarves begins to get absurd even at a population as low as 30, but I would still like to do it in-game. Of course mouse-support would be awesome eventually, and I'm sure there are plenty of great ideas to make it better... but the first thing that occurred to me is that I wish I just had a quick string-search feature.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unit list search
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 03:53:44 pm »

Yes and you can already search in "bring goods to depot" screen, so it shouldn't be too difficult or time-consuming to add that to other screens too, like "choose what to make this building from".
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 06:12:46 pm »

I believe there is a mod like that called dwarf therapist but I've never tried it. However I think it would be a good idea to add it to the game.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 11:15:43 pm »

It's a utility.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 02:00:29 am »

There is a DFhack plugin that adds this functionality http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118001.0  Very useful and hopefuly will be added to the base game one day.

Oh and Ikachan Dwarf Therapist is a utility for changeing the jobs setings for dwarves as well as seeing what they are good at at a glance and what jobs are currently enabled.  While the utility does have a search funtion to find a specific dwarf if you know the name its totaly seperate from the main game.