Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Connecting caverns to surface  (Read 3530 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Connecting caverns to surface
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:45:18 pm »

I've breached all three caverns and currently have three FBs running around in various levels.  All three have Deadly Dust, so I'm hesitant to send my feeble military after them.  What I'd ideally like to do is safely connect the caverns to the surface with some way of being able to block it off until a Siege shows up.  Then I can pull a lever and pop open a hatch, door, something, and let the FBs out to handle the greenskins. 

I've already dug a stairwell that goes from the surface outside of the fort proper, and goes just past all three caverns, but haven't breached them yet.  The two problems are:

1) The FBs happen to be loitering around the area near where I've dug the stairs.  So I will likely lose miners when I breach the caverns.  I'd prefer to avoid this, but as I have six of them, I could afford to lose one if necessary.  (My current worst option is to draft some cheesemaker into a temporary miner, burrow him outside, then close the drawbridge behind him.  Then send him off to breach the caverns.)

2) I need to figure out a way to block the stairwell off until I want to release the FBs.  Best would be something repeatable, so that, under perfect conditions, I'd be able to let the FBs out one at a time.  If one pops out, I can pull the lever and close off the remaining two from being able to get out.

Suggestions?  Ideas?
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting caverns to surface
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:54:24 pm »

Build a floor hatch on the level above where the miner will dig out the last stair down. As soon as it's open and (if possible) when the miner is back through, forbid it. Hatches can't be destroyed from below. You can then build whatever you want in terms of airlocks and whatnot above it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:01:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dig a really big hole and attach a spiral 1x3 rampway covered with retractable bridges/hatches, all you need to do is connect it to the caverns.  A long term solution, not a short term one.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 05:16:25 am »

Dig a really big hole and attach a spiral 1x3 rampway covered with retractable bridges/hatches, all you need to do is connect it to the caverns.  A long term solution, not a short term one.
That remind me of another portal to the depths..
You know, the horizontal or slanted giant stone door that opened to the dark depths where Cthulhu crawled out.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 10:28:46 am »

You know, the horizontal or slanted giant stone door that opened to the dark depths where Cthulhu crawled out.
Once I've got a few thousand clowns and FB's roaming down there it'll be just like home :D

Also fliers will absolutely ignore the rampway and just fly out and kill everyone. Roof is advised. Marksdwarves are advised.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:58:11 am »

Once I've got a few thousand clowns and FB's roaming down there it'll be just like home :D

Also fliers will absolutely ignore the rampway and just fly out and kill everyone. Roof is advised. Marksdwarves are advised.
Instead of a roof you will need a series of bridges that you can open like a giant door. Then all you need is a forgotten beast.
The forgotten beast Cthu.. Snodub has come! A great two-legged squid. It has a thin wings of stretched skin and it has a bloated body. Its green skin is waxy. Beware its poisonous vapors.
Sound anything like your giant hole? Just replace the names with Urists.
By the way, it should be public domain in most parts of the world so don't hate me for making such a long quote.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:00:00 pm »

I had a fun time making a fort like this once before. I dug my fortress and made a basic sealed hallway that had a bridge that would retract up that would keep enemies from getting inside. Then, from the shaft, I did what they were describing (in smaller form). Sealed the entrance from all sides and made a bridge connected to a lever in my fortress to keep invaders from going down.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 03:59:50 pm »

If I cover the Portal To The Underground with a hatch, won't the FB be able to destroy it once he's reached the surface?
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »

Sure, but if you've got bait animals or goblins or whatever nearby, he'll have other things on his mind.

What about this? (side view)

Code: [Select]
+---+
|>dh|   Outside
|X|≤d_____
|X|
|h|__________
|≤____Caverns

Constructions: |+-
Open hatch, operated by lever: h
Stairs: >X<
Bait dog: d
The hatches open, the FB goes after Dog #1, then Dog #2, the hatches close.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 05:56:33 pm »

If I cover the Portal To The Underground with a hatch, won't the FB be able to destroy it once he's reached the surface?
Use a retractable bridge instead

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 04:04:06 pm »

Muahaha, one of my dorfs just made an artifact hatch cover.  Artifacts are not destroyable by FB correct?

Fujuki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 07:54:10 pm »

Correct.