Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pathfinder - Rise of the Runelords - Game Thread/Prologue  (Read 6529 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pathfinder - Rise of the Runelords - Game Thread/Prologue
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:36:01 am »

~=:: Prologue ::=~

The coastal town of Sandpoint has faced a few trials and dangers of the course of its forty-two year history, but unfortunately, that is all about the change...

Unknown to the town's founders, they chose to build their community over the ruins of an ancient stronghold once used as a laboratory and prison,
A place where horrific experiments and unholy explorations into what divides man from monster took place...

These are the Catacombs of Wrath, one of several such sites used by Runelord Alaznist's apprentices during Thassilon's height, a place where arcanists explored and perfected the stolen arts of lifeshaping and fleshwarping. When the Great Empire of Thassilon fell, these catacombs went dormant, but the one buried under Sandpoint was not fated to stay that way...

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Spoiler: Sandpoint Hinterlands (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sandpoint Present Day (click to show/hide)

Let us though go back, back a few years of present day, around the times when six souls began to become entwined with the Town of Sandpoint and its inhabitants, some more so then others, but over the course of the years they would become friends or perhaps enemies with the townfolk and discover their own stories as time goes on. We start this simple prologue of introducing these souls around six years ago, it was at this time that a wizened old Elf found himself visiting the town on bequest of an old friend...

Sandpoint itself is that of a simple town with most buildings built of wood and stone foundations, their wood shingle rooftops unpainted for the most part. With the majority being single story structures the few noted exceptions stand out over the skyline, with the Downtown district tightly packed with houses and stores of many kinds as more and more arrivals come and call the town home. Its gentle slope gives way to the north of that of a level bluff that overlooks it and the natural harbor. Up there the buildings are seen to be relatively new and the streets more open and less crowded. With the Harbor itself being fairly deep, thirty feet for most of its expanse, and sharply rising slopes and cliffs near the shore. The languid waters of the Turandoarok River winds down from the hinterlands, skirting a wide expanse known as Devil's Platter to empty into the harbor. Occasionally seen within these waters are that of Rafts towing lumber from far upstream down to the local sawmill. But its across this harbor to the south that another bluff rises, on which the most affluent landowners have staked their claim...

With walking staff in hand, its silver inlay spiraling downwards complementing the black oak wood that is its form, the elderly elf trudges slowly up the slope towards the chapel where is contact waited. Built around seven Circular Standing Stones revered to be that of the Seven Towers of Desna’s otherworldly palace, the Chapel itself was not that of one faith, while the head Acolyte was that of a Devoted follower of Desna, five other faiths were honored within. Here followers of Desna, Abadar, Sarenrae, Shelyn, Erastil and Gozreh could come and pray and receive blessings. To the West rose that of a structure, a sight that strikes all visitors at first, which is the Ruins of the Old Light. The original height of this tower is unknown, but those who have studie the ancient architecture of the crumbling remains estimate it might have stood more then Seven Hundred Feet Tall. Today less then a  quarter of that height remains...

Finally reaching the Chapel itself the elf lifted his fist to knock on the door of the Head Acolytes room when it was thrown open and he found himself being engulfed into the arms of a large human, someone we might add when last met was just a young man in his twenties...

~=:: Father Tobyn - Head Acolyte of Sandpoint Chapel, Cleric of Desna ::=~

"Jak you old coot, when did you get to Sandpoint?!? Its been decades since I last saw you and nearly half that since I sent you a message asking if your willing to visit. I take its the reason your finally here after so many years, only just got around to it I gather? Come, come. You must be exhausted from your trip, I'll get us something drink. Tea? Water???"

The Elf is ushered into the room, simple yet lavish for a cleric, the area containing an office like setup along with two beds seperated by a heavy curtain towards the rear, one of which was made with clerical robes hanging in storage nearby while the other slightly messy and what appeared to be woman's clothing left on the bed loosely. Guided towards a comfortable chair, Father Tobyn finally releases the old elf from his embrace and turns towards the table where a pot of tea sat still hot from the sight of steam coming from its spout...

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:43:33 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder - Rise of the Runelords - Game Thread/Prologue
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:06:17 pm »

The elf in question is a bit worse for the wear.

"Gah, that smarts! What'n the gods do you think you're doing?"

Leaning on his cane, he looks at the young man critically.

Tea for me, then, and an explanation of why exactly I was led here into this blasted town with its blasted make-believe mumbo-jumbo church about Desna or whatever, you rascal! There's even a thanks in it for you, if that's to your liking.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 11:39:23 am »

(PTW)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 11:58:08 pm »

With a chuckle he turned away from the teapot, two cups steaming with their contents, he muttered an apologies as he settled himself into the chair opposite his old friend, lifting the cup to his lips he couldn't help but smile over the comment about the Chapel.
"Ah yes, Sandpoint's Chapel is quite an interesting construct, honoring not one but six gods within her halls." He begins to gesture with the cup between sips. "To the West, looking towards the Sea and Old Light is that of Shelyn and Gozreh. To the South and over the town, Erastil and Abadar watch over the people and to the East, over the Graveyard and towards the Rising Sun, Sarenrae and Desna. Each of these Gods and Goddesses are both loved and honored hear as per the desision of the Town's Founders. Though its not uncommon, most of the Head Acolytes are Clerics of Desna due to the love of the people and such..."

"But of course this simple lesson about our fine Chapel isn't really for your visit. If you remember the letter I wanted to introduce you to my......." A knock at the door interrupted him, "Moment please Jak, Enter!"

~=:: Brother Zantus - Acolyte of Sandpoint Chapel, Cleric of Desna ::=~
The door pushed open as a young acolyte appearing to be in his mid thirties entered, a butterfly symbol sewn into his clerical robes marked him as a Desna follower as well, with a bow of his head to both Tobyn and his guest.
"Forgive me Father, but I came as soon as I heard about the commotion in Downtown, it appears your Daughter has come to the aid of Jervas Stoot who was apparently being harassed by some Traders. She apparently has asked for you to come and help, its just near that of the Red Dog Smithy. She thinks that Das Korvut might become a problem as well..."

With a heavy sigh and a shake of his head Tobyn set his half drunk cup aside and pulled himself out of the chair, "Forgive me Jak, my old Friend, it appears the reason for your visit has found herself in a situation, would you join me?" Moving to his desk he retreaves a heavy looking cloak which he pulls on, a Butterfly Clasp on from flickers in a multiple of colours. "Oh and before I forget, this is Brother Zantus, he is one of the most promising of the Acolytes here in Sandpoint, most likely to take over as Head Acolyte when I retire. Anyway, lead the way Brother Zantus..."
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...