Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a little help with impulse ramps  (Read 670 times)

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a little help with impulse ramps
« on: May 20, 2020, 08:24:47 pm »

So I made a successful impulse ramp. Sort of. I have a long, winding minecart track all the way down to my magma forges. I built impulse ramps to launch a minecart back up to the surface. And it works. Except I can't seem to get the last bit of it right.

https://ibb.co/qJhPR52

On the left is the last segment of my track. The three curved pieces are 3 track-ramps. That's what I've been using for the rest of my track and it's been working fine. On the right is the level where I want it to pop up and end. Except that no matter what combination of tracks/ramps/lengths I try the cart just keeps bouncing back down instead of rising up that last z-level. I tried impulse ramps and no impulse ramps, I tried adding walls, I tried carving out the top as you can see, and each time the cart just bounces back. What's the solution here?

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a little help with impulse ramps
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 11:36:35 pm »

Watch tile-by-tile and see what's going on with the cart as it rises up the shaft, and where it starts to turn back.

Some designs actually make the cart move too fast and that means it can be a bit unreliable and start rolling backwards as it's rising up the impulse ramp stack. This usually isn't noticeable unless you have carts launching very close together, because the cart in the shaft will only roll backwards a short period before an impulse ramp fires it back up again. Once you're at the top though, there might be no more ramps for launching.