Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How would you go about embarking ON a Necromancer tower?  (Read 1110 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How would you go about embarking ON a Necromancer tower?
« on: May 31, 2022, 05:11:53 pm »

I think this would need a majorly hardened embark profile and probably jacked up embark points.  I want as few items as possible, so basically the starting seven gets a combat kit of full armor, blunt weapons (basically maces and warhammers), a little beer, a little food, a pick, some ore, seeds, maybe wood for beds, and as little else as possible.  While we eventually will need an axe it's the absolute last thing we want embarking possibly literally surrounded by undead.  Then I'd want massively jacked weapon, shield user, fighter, etc. skills, as well as maybe a weaponsmith and an armorer.

This would all be expensive embark points-wise so I suspect that would need to be jiggered.

Basically we want to turtle as instantly as possible with as few items to slow us down as practical, then immediately arm up and do something, maybe like a trap hall, to start winnowing these undead.  I'm thinking somewhere between spiked bronze or silver balls, and maybe spikes as well as junk maces and stuff.  I'm worried about the bug with worn components breaking and crashing the save though.

Alternately has anyone written some kind of detailed guide specifically on embarking on necromancer towers (not near but actually on)?  I imagine the usual result is you instantly die.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: How would you go about embarking ON a Necromancer tower?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 01:04:24 am »

I assume literally embarking ON a tower would be safe at first, since nothing spawns on the roof (at least in adventure mode).  However, you'd have to painstakingly deconstruct-and-construct your way down, and hope you don't breach any rooms.  Perhaps the undead would try to climb the walls?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 01:24:51 am »

I remember people used to talk about digging under necromancer towers to make them cave-in. I'm not sure how you get to that point, and can't find any of the relevant threads.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 09:40:13 am »

I assume literally embarking ON a tower would be safe at first, since nothing spawns on the roof (at least in adventure mode).  However, you'd have to painstakingly deconstruct-and-construct your way down, and hope you don't breach any rooms.  Perhaps the undead would try to climb the walls?
I mean that the embark would contain a necromancer tower.  I would hope I don't spawn inside it or with the party on top of it, although I think the latter is livable.  In the area it is there is a high chance of thralling clouds too, which is why the "immediately turtle and assess things" approach seems right.  I'd like to try the collapsing it thing at some point but it just seems too cheap a trick.  That said, I'd like to see what it looks like.  I'd guess the idea would be to tunnel everything out and hold the tower up with a pillar, then hook a switch to the pillar and boom.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 06:44:47 pm »

I remember people used to talk about digging under necromancer towers to make them cave-in. I'm not sure how you get to that point, and can't find any of the relevant threads.

At least this method works with forest retreats (tested it), so I'd assume it works with necro towers.