Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Invisible Flying Thieves  (Read 2970 times)

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Flying Thieves
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 09:49:33 pm »

I remember buzzards in my first few 2010 forts. I left my food lying in my wagon while poking around underground and the next thing I know there's several "A Buzzard has stolen Plump helmet[5]!".

Then my fort starved to death. After that setting up a food stockpile has been one of the first thing I do.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
KOBOOOOLDS! (not invisible flying thieves)
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 10:53:57 pm »

The buzzards stole food when I wasn't looking, but The kobolds are friggin' NINJAS. I abandoned a copy save and checked legends. It was kobolds. They stole about 10000 dwarfins of gear in 3 easy trips. I have no clue how.

They would have been dodging merchants and packhorses exiting through a 3 tile wide hallway, then literally had to step over mules to get in, and out, then escaped over the drawbridge before it closed again, unless they did it as the next caravan was coming in.

The stuff was reported as stolen many months after the drawbridge was raised. The reason they took so long to be reported stolen must be because they were stealing Iron/Steel items, and heavily decorated ones at that. The weight of the items must have slowed them down? I can think of no other explanation.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 08:18:51 am »

Didn't the theft notification tell you WHAT stole your stuff? It always used to.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 11:50:48 pm »

Didn't the theft notification tell you WHAT stole your stuff? It always used to.

Nope!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Cwal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 03:09:47 am »

I've noticed in Adventure mode that sometimes while sneaking you can move through creatures without them noticing, perhaps the kobolds have this potential too.  It's impressive imagery to think that your steel clad adventurer had just basically disemboweled someone and continued on his way without anyone noticing, but it may stray into bug territory.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 03:14:21 am »

I'm now kind of curious to mod in Invisible Sky Thieves. Sounds fun.
Swimming ones would be wonderful for all those forts that drop stuff into the ocean.
[/quote]

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 06:12:29 am »

Are you sure your mules aren't disguised kobolds?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 08:23:22 am »

Vultures are just as bad, I had a swarm of them steal half my food at embark once :(
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 09:25:53 am »

Hypothesis: the Observer skill is now used to determine whether a creature spots a stealth target.

Previously, anything could break stealth of thieves no matter how skilled they were at ambushing. What if you now need a high Observer skill to counter a high Ambusher skill?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2]