Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 1860 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Battlestar Galactica
« on: June 08, 2010, 06:21:36 pm »

I'm interested in designing a Battlestar Galactica Werewolf variant. I'm thinking the special roles (such as Seer) would be out in the open, though nobody would know who the Cylons are (perhaps even the Cylons, until a later time, like in the board game). I'm also thinking the Cylons would have the goal of sabotaging the ship the players are on instead of just offing everybody one by one, and the humans would want to achieve some sort of goal. What do you guys think? Can we make it work?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:33:00 pm »

Hmm... I think outed PRs could cause a problem (after all, you can trust anything they say).  Lack of a werewolf/ mafiakill can also cause problems (see: Toon Mafia)... the best players and best roles just stay alive and win easily.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:37:16 pm »

Well, the theory is that the Cylon could be anybody, including the people with the special roles.

Right now I'm thinking of a system where everybody chooses a room on the ship each round, and either helps or hinders it, with special events from the host or something.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 06:52:32 pm »

Until you have something more concrete I don't have much to add, but I can tell you right now that you should strive very hard to avoid a situation where a player is confirmed simply because of a role they have or because another role says they're confirmed.

I think you've already got that covered, however.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 06:59:01 pm »

Double posting with some formulating ideas:

Since we're not just offing people every round, we'd need to have some specialized roles. It might be interesting if the roles could be passed to other people, as well. So somebody else could man the Cylon tester if the players decided GaiusBaltarisCool89 wasn't up to snuff, or some such.

I'm thinking the humans could be trying to reach a goal of a 'distance', while the Cylons are trying to drain points, which would be representative of resources. Perhaps the primary way to drain resources is to get ships in the fleet destroyed? There could be a specific number of ships in the fleet (maybe dependent on the number of players), and each turn, everybody declares what ship they want to be on (and then you get to do special things based on what ship you're on). Then, the Cylons could blow up the ships by leaving behind suitcase nukes or sabotaging their systems or letting Cylons swarm it (Just like on the show!).

Maybe in addition to handing out the Cylon roles, one or two random people would get a suitcase nuke for this, and then if they're the Cylon, they can just leave it behind somewhere and hop from ship to ship and detonate it when they are ready, in order to cover their tracks?

Still working out how else to lose points and how the humans gain their 'distance'.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 07:00:08 pm »

Or you could just play the board game on the forums.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:01:36 pm »

I don't own my own copy of the board game, and I'm going for more of a forum-game type thing.

Thanks for your contribution, though.

EDIT: You're also probably right. I'm going to go start this shiznat up.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:28:38 pm by Grakelin »