Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How dumb are dwarves, you ask?  (Read 7049 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: How dumb are dwarves, you ask?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 04:53:58 pm »

Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?
Permission to sig this requested.
go ahead.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 07:14:10 pm »

Dwarves think? I know they have thoughts, but do they actually think? Urist propaganda imo.

But in all seriousness, Toady should make them dorfs not slow down from hauling a wheelbarrow. Or you know, actually make them push it.

I'm sure this however is caused by a mystical coding problem. Or maybe it's a feature, sub-category "dwarfs are dumb".

Also: Great sketch! The pigtails got to me too. Stupidity at it's finest.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:16:26 pm by simonthedwarf »
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 07:19:30 pm »

Someday, I'll be going through raws and find a tag marked as [FREAKING STUPID].
At that point, I'll remove it and then the dwarves will begin arranging themselves into patterns, forming words such as "YOU'RE NEXT, KOMRA."
And so begins the dorfpolalypse.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:37:28 pm »

Having played DF for several months now, I've come to the conclusion that dorfs really aren't stupid.  They're just very very good at playing stupid, and are actually some of the laziest sacks of booze Armok has seen fit to inflict on every last world we gen with our computers.  They seem stupid, but that's because they use their wiles to make it look like they're working while doing as little as dwarvenly possible.  They're a bunch of passive-aggressive maliciously compliant little bastards who get what they deserve when the goblins, clowns, or themselves finally do the fort in.
Examples:

• Told to encrust gems onto objects, Urist McJeweler grabs the large flawless diamond he just cut and spends the next month sticking fragments of prase and rock crystal onto it.  Nobody specified which gems to encrust on which items, after all.
  • Urist McRockcutter has been told to start carving up rocks into furniture or even blocks because Urist McKlutz keeps tripping over them.  He doesn't really want to do it, so instead of carving up the several dozen piles of rock outside his shop and in his bedroom, he goes all the way down to the level above the magma sea, looks for the biggest, densest, heaviest boulder he can find, and starts rolling it to his shop on the surface 100 levels above like some tiny bearded Sisyphus.
  • Urist McHaggler has been ordered to the trading post, but it's spring outside and that means he's being asked to trade with those pointy-eared tree shaggers again.  He can't stand their constant snide comments about his excessive body hair or the constant odor of stale beer that follows him around everywhere, so he makes himself scarce.  He needs a fucking drink anyway.  Dammit, he's hungry, he needs to eat or he'll faint.  He's so tired he's about to collapse so he's got to take a nap.  If he keeps this up, maybe the elves will go away.
  • Why does Urist McPeon have to clean up after Urist McSlob's personal messes?  What is he, the maid?  Look at all the shit everyone leaves around all the time!  They want him to clean, fine, there's a sock he'll pick that up!  Is everyone happy now?  Well, that goblin war party that just arrived is, because they have an opportunity for some cruelty.
  • Urist McAmazon charges into battle, eager to prove herself against the human horde that has arrived to sack the fort.  She takes her newborn daughter with her, none of those lazy boozing males can be trusted to watch a cat, let alone an infant.  Besides, what better opportunity to teach the girl how to be strong and independant than a fierce and raging battle?
  • Urist McBricklayer has been told to seal off a hole that's been dug into the baron's personal chambers to extract the valuable gems that were discovered in the wall.  He has a grudge against the baron, the fat bastard, so he desides to put the wall in place so that the properly grouted mortar is on the far side of the wall.  When he finally finishes, he looks around and realizes to his horror that there's no way out, and the wall is to thick for anyone to hear his screams....

I could go on, but I think we get the picture.  These dorfs can't be that stupid, no they're doing this stuff on purpose.  Why else would a dorf carry a wheelbarrow except to waste time looking busy?

(Ok, so Toady has been fixing some of this stuff, but the old jokes are still pretty fun).
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 10:43:02 pm »

So this means the dwarves are actually geniuses.
Wow.
Everything I've known about their bearded kind is a lie.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 03:12:53 am »

A truly awesome post

So what you're saying is that dwarves are true masters of the Zen of Wally?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 03:48:33 am »

I'd like to see them use wheelbarrows for construction (with a maximum settable in the Orders screen, of course). It turns a 2 or 3-second trip into a 10-15 scond one.
(I usually build with clay, see.)

Can easily be avoided by using rock blocks - it takes a bit of micro-ing but you can train your masons a bit as a bonus....

Of course carrying around a bin full of rock blocks or even worse gold crafts/silver warhammers, can really strain the back of any Dwarf - there should be a system enabling the Dorfs to think through the use wheelbarrows - "yeah, this is heavy i might need to use something with wheels ..."

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 02:31:43 pm »

So this means the dwarves are actually geniuses.
Wow.
Everything I've known about their bearded kind is a lie.

Not really, they're not THAT smart.

So what you're saying is that dwarves are true masters of the Zen of Wally?

Actually, I'm kind of picturing them as an entire race of short, bearded, George Costanzas.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 02:34:28 pm »

The horrors of auto-erotic visualization! I can't help put picture dwarfs in his blue Hawaii shirt with the orange or red roses on
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 02:48:04 pm »

All joking aside, my own personally Fanon is that most of the dwarves are extremely intelligent, but they have such a warped common sense that they look like idiots.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.
Pages: 1 [2]