Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vampire mayor logistics  (Read 1941 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire mayor logistics
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 10:46:58 pm »

I didn't think you could keep a liaison around that long without him going insane.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:38 am »

The liaison appears to be immune to that.  I've had them hang around for very long time periods due to bugs.

And in this version you can't normally get a new baron, even if he or she has children.  The procedure outlined by wierd might work, but I suspect it does some sort of check at conversation time, not when the liaison shows up.  So it probably won't work.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 12:46:22 am »

IIRC, baron promotion, and likewise with what goods will arrive in the next caravan, are dependent upon the liason successfully leaving the map. Same with tributed items given to trade caravans only being calc'ed once they leave the map edge.

Computation and checking for offsite data only occurs when merchants first arrive, and when they leave. Otherwise the rest of the world exists without time.

So, if the algorithm to promote barons waits unil the liason leaves the map, then it may be possible to get 2 dwarves into the promotion queue.

It would go down something like this:

Merchants arrive, and initial checks are done.
Fortress has enough wealth? (Check)
Fortress does not yet have a Baron? (Check)
-->set "baron promotion" dialog : true

*initiate conversation
User chooses a baron candidate? (True)
-->set flag for promotion on entity
(False)
-->terminate dialog

*Liason leaves map
Probe entity list for promotion flag
Found entity for promotion? (True)
-->promote, clear flag
(False)
-->do nothing

The question then, is if the promoter promotes all entities with the promotion flag set, or if it stops after hitting the first one.

If it does the former, all flagged entities will be promoted. If it does the latter, then we still have dwarves with the "give promotion" flag set after the promotion routine fires. If we rename the baron, or in some other way make his entity move lower in the entity list, then on the next scheduled promotion cycle, the previously picked dwarf may get the promotion, and you end up with 2 barons instead of a count.

Science is called for.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 11:31:09 pm »

So I finally got around to trying Fangface out as Manager. I gave him ten single Brew Drink jobs to assign.

He got right to work, didn't take breaks or anything. And after a month of watching him work steadily at it...three of them were done.

Sobriety is a terrible thing.

Caldemar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 10:13:40 am »

Hmm, that is too bad.  I should have thought of that...and I don't think he even could drink alcohol if you delivered it to him...too bad.

On another note, I have decided my next manager will be locked in a room with food and drink dropped from above (or maybe delivered by minecart).  I have had too many manager put off assigning work because they were attending a party or some other nonsense.
Pages: 1 [2]