Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobody attacks me?  (Read 2034 times)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobody attacks me?
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:04:50 pm »

I've killed thirty bandits now (easier since I discovered my speed went from 0.2 to 1 when I dropped those 80 crocodile meats), both humans, goblins, elves and kobolds, and not one of them fought back! Cowards!

All they do is stand around and mope about death while I strangle their mates with their own intestines. At least the elf bandits got mad when I tossed them out of their tree home bandit lair and played hacky-sack with the children young bandits' heads... Strange how the elf bandits are always unarmed. It's like they're disguised as civilians or something.

Anyway, is there some reason why bandits tend to ignore the murderbeard that's attacking them? Is it normal or a bug? Can I make everyone hate me somehow?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody attacks me?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 01:40:05 pm »

for a better fight best hit the caverns.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:40:14 pm »

for a better fight best hit the caverns.
Gotcha. I should find a fortress, then?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:47:11 pm »

Cave, it'll look like a lair on the travel map but not be visible up close if you have the "make caves visible" option active as I recall.

Find a world-gen fortress and you should have easy access as well.

Bandits are just too passive in most spots, I think they become bandits for different reasons, because I've had cases where I did an impromptu retire by stealing a dorf to adventure with and later found the reclaim group had set up at a nearby bandit camp or were hanging out in tents outside the fort.

Some bandits seem like they're just displaced civilians turned to bandirty, some are actual jerkwads who'll pop up around you at night if you crash in an abandoned building and try to gank your stuff, and some will come at you with a little mini-army to push your head in.

Worth remembering as well that group 1 will happily tell you that group 2 are bandits, and group 2 will tell you that group 1 are bandits, sometimes it's because they don't have the steps to go to war yet, sometimes it's actual banditry, sometimes they're just jerkwads.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:15:14 pm »

The problem in 40.x is not that some bandits are real bandits or just simple outcasts, the problem is that a character can go murdering everyone in a location and out of an extremely rare guy or two , the immense majority of the NPC the characters will attack in camp will never react or even try to defend themselves.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 04:22:14 pm »

The problem in 40.x is not that some bandits are real bandits or just simple outcasts, the problem is that a character can go murdering everyone in a location and out of an extremely rare guy or two , the immense majority of the NPC the characters will attack in camp will never react or even try to defend themselves.
Yeah, this is what I've found out as well. Kind of a bummer. Might as well go find some beasts then!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 04:57:23 pm »

Alternatively, if you want to battle bandit camps, you can give a try to DF 34.11 , while unfortunately it lacks the new features of DF 40.24 obviously, the old features aren't in the broken state they are in 40.24, and bandits camps are not pacifist camps anymore.

Survival is a bit more difficult too, related to the less pacifist worlds.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 09:32:19 pm »

Then again that's if you want to raid bandits all day and night.
I found that most of the hostiles are roaming around sleeping in tents. People in camps are pretty much armored peasants.
Then there's the zombies, monsters in lairs, and other stuff. the bandits that hit up towns are pacifically robbing people and no one really gets hurt... unless you refuse to give them your stuff then they just fight.
 so they pretty much end up with a clean record or one that doesn't end up with people thanking the heavens for their death.

Like best to treat bandits as super low level mooks for the tougher wild enemies and the new randomized mooks.
other than that good recruitin from those camps.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes