Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravans not arriving, merchant goods invisible and forbidden at edge of map  (Read 2269 times)

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile

I have a ~10 year old fort located deep in dwarven territory - until several years ago, it had a trading relationship with its parent dwarven civ and a small nearby human civ.

At first I only recieved diplomats/merchants from the mountainhomes, which proceded as normal, until I appointed a metalsmith as my baron, about five years into the fort. The year after that, the law-giver of the local human civ showed up for the first time, along with a human caravan, and spent a long time talking to my baron about how his civilization was getting sacked by a local elf civ (which is at war with most human civs and my dwarf civ). This repeated for several years, until the caravans stopped arriving with the law-giver. That same year, all representation whatsoever (liason/diplomat AND caravan) ceased from the mountainhomes.

Notably, a large collection of merchant goods are listed on the stocks screen in red (forbidden). When zooming in on these items, I'm directed to an empty, outdoor tile adjacent to the edge of the map.

The [c]iv screen confirms my dwarven civ still has a king, nobility, general, and outpost liason, but they aren't showing up. The only visitor I get from an actual civ is Kozi Pleatwound, law-giver of the Puce Confederation (who shows up annually to bitch about elves). I continue to get many unofficial visitors (performers, scholars, mercenaries) from human, dwarven, and elven civs, although none of them seem to be from the Puce Confederation.

Can someone explain what's happened? Is this a bug, or have the elves destroyed my neighbors?
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's possible that the elves took over the world and are sieging the site where your king and outpost liaison are holed up. You'd have to check legends to be sure.

However caravans are also bugged at the moment and have a tendency to disappear, or appear but remain invisible, or various other odd behavior. Most of its on the bug tracker and I suppose it'll get looked at sometime during this cycle.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:52:12 am by Shonai_Dweller »

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A lot of us have encountered this bug; it's not just you.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn. I've encountered the "wagon explodes -> merchants flee" bug, but never this one. Does anyone know of any (probably anecdotal, but still) fixes to coax merchants back into appearing again? My library could really use some new codicies.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Damn. I've encountered the "wagon explodes -> merchants flee" bug, but never this one. Does anyone know of any (probably anecdotal, but still) fixes to coax merchants back into appearing again? My library could really use some new codicies.

Try destroying and rebuilding your trade depot.

You can also change the ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER tag in the entity file for dwarves to something like spring and see if it makes the game recalculate the thing causing the bug.

I've never been able to solve this problem myself - by the time the bug occurred to me I was ready to give up the fort already for other reasons, or I just turned caravans off to stop the build-up of fps destroying items.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try destroying and rebuilding your trade depot.

You can also change the ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER tag in the entity file for dwarves to something like spring and see if it makes the game recalculate the thing causing the bug.

I've never been able to solve this problem myself - by the time the bug occurred to me I was ready to give up the fort already for other reasons, or I just turned caravans off to stop the build-up of fps destroying items.

I tried the Depot thing, to no avail. Maybe the raw edit will do the trick.

That said, in a duplicate save, I retired and checked out the Puce Confederation - all their cities were abandoned, and my adventurer could instantly claim the lordship of each by rallying the bards and dancers huddled in their ruins. I think the Mountainhome caravans were/are bugged (The Folded Seal, my civ, seems to be doing fine) but it is possible the human civ just went extinct. I've never seen an entity get decimated like that.

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've managed to fix it by retiring and unretiring my fortress. The phantom items are gone and I no longer suffer from fps drops every now and then. I'm not sure if these things are connected, though. Too bad the process brings in a whole lot of new bugs.