Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War with the outpost liaison  (Read 896 times)

Sil3nt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War with the outpost liaison
« on: October 18, 2016, 05:39:56 am »

Hello to the community as this is my first message,

I got into dwarf fortress some time ago and totally loved it! Congrats to the devs
After many many abandoned fortresses, i learned a lot about the depth of the game and made my very first full-working fort! All kind of industries, well-trained military, locations etc...
Caravans were showing up, but after few years the outpost liaison stopped coming... so i opened the civilization menu, to find out that i'm at war with them. My assumption is that i messed up with something that gave me troubles until i learned how to use it, the Stock menu... could i have unforbidden items (maeby their weapons?) while a caravan was stationing in my fort, seizing some of their goods...? They never got attacked by anything, or being kept locked inside my fort...

So the question is, is there any way to make peace with them? I don't have any save before this happened (and i'm not even totally sure what caused it)....
Thanks for any help...!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: War with the outpost liaison
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:44:12 am »

Are you sure you're reading the civ list correctly? From what I recall, the War/Peace indicator is relative to the selected entity, not your own civilization, so if you highlight the Goblins, then you can expect a War indicator next to the Dwarven civilization (and possibly the Humans and Elves).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sil3nt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:48:39 am »

Are you sure you're reading the civ list correctly? From what I recall, the War/Peace indicator is relative to the selected entity, not your own civilization, so if you highlight the Goblins, then you can expect a War indicator next to the Dwarven civilization (and possibly the Humans and Elves).

Hi Quietust,

I might easily be wrong, as the game's very complex to understand...
Made a quick check, if i highlight the Goblins i have the War indicator next to the Dwarven civilization (as you said), if i highlight the Dwarves, then the War indicator moves next to the Goblins civilization... i don't really understand what it means.

If i'm not at war with my own kind, do you have any idea why they won't come anymore? Also forgot to mention that immigrants also stopped to come by (cap population not reached yet), all at the same time. I've been reading that the two things are connected...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:52:16 am »

The civ screen indications show what the relations are between the highlighted civ and the others on that list. Highlighting dwarves thus shows there's a War relation between dwarves and goblins, while highlighting goblins shows there's a War relation between goblins and dwarves. You can never be at war with your parent civ (maybe in the future...).
Thus, failure to get dwarven caravans is caused by other reasons, possibly goblins besieging the mountainhome. Also, if you get besieged by goblins (or undead) when caravans are due, they'll pass you by. Another reason for caravans to pass you by is that you don't have any path to the trade depot, but a message is produced saying that.
Migrants normally don't arrive during winter, and if you're besieged while they're due to arrive they won't come (which can cause them to show up during winter instead).
Also note that there are two pop caps, one that stops immigration, and one that stops births as well.
Migrants are attracted by fortress wealth and scared away by fortress death, so a poor fortress that suffers serious losses to invaders can have trouble attracting migrants. However, in that case there's a message saying something like "Your fortress didn't attract any migrants this season" when they'd normally have appeared.

There are a number of reasons for why the dwarven caravan fails to show up (including a couple of nasty bugs), but usually they'll appear again as if nothing had happened one or several years later.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 02:59:03 pm »

Caravans were showing up, but after few years the outpost liaison stopped coming...

Generally this means he died somewhere.  But there should be a new one eventually.

You can't be at war with your civ, and from what you said later in this thread, you aren't.  When you select your own civ and it shows "WAR" with goblins, that means that the selected civ (you) is at war with goblins.  If you select goblins, they're at war with you, too.

I would recommend just continuing on without the liason, though that will limit your nobility, since he's the one that sets up baron/count/duke promotions.   But you can still attract the king/queen someday, even without him!

Also if you already have the king/queen, then you don't get liasons anymore.