Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reveal on DFHack some how fixes FPS drop, why?  (Read 1089 times)

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reveal on DFHack some how fixes FPS drop, why?
« on: April 18, 2018, 01:02:58 pm »

EDIT 3: i think i figured it out. i had a locked door in the third cavern and there is a deep hole from the second to the third and ialot of unrevealed area inbetween so i'm guessing dwarves were trying to rach things from the second caverns to the third through this hole. cause unlocking the door in the third cavern fixed it. at least it seems that way for now. i think it was a stray cat i told to geld XDD, it was stuck in the third cavern.

i opened up a ground level path to underground cavern. from this i think it was the cause of my fps dropping to 1 or 0. i tried burrows, cancel orders, but when i reveal the map it fixes the fps. it goes back to crap FPS when i unreveal. see alot of crundles in the cavern. i told my dwarfs to kill them but some are canceled because unreachable or something like that. the ones that are unreachable are all stacked ontop of each other(like 10) on a tile in a huge underwater lake. i tried to kill them with liquids-here. it dispersed them or killed them, and forced the rest to move away. sadly this hasn't fixed it. i just cant find out what the problem is. any fixes?

i'm willing to upload the save or something.

EDIT: I tried to forbid everything in the carvern. it worked for a fews seconds and dropped back down to 1, it's atleast moving rather than stagnating. is there a way for DFHack to show my what's happening?

EDIT 2: i have locked the door that leads to the caverns and it fixes the FPS so i'm starting to think it must be a job or something but if i forbid everything on the map including revealed area but it still wont work
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:45:54 am by justicarab »
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Reveal on DFHack some how fixes FPS drop, why?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 01:33:48 pm »

I don't have any ideas but your avatar is pretty dorf.

+1

Actually, reveal should result in a FPS drop from what understand. That's weird.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 04:23:56 pm »

As mentioned, the FPS tends to drop when more is revealed. However, there are cancellation spam cases where something important (such as an old crundle skeleton) is in the revealed part when you breach a cavern, so a refuse stockpile posts a job for its retrieval, but as soon as the job is picked up it's dropped as there is no path to it only through the revealed area (the stockpile posting does some kind of check that there is a path, but does not check whether it's legal, nor computes it). However, the posted job is not removed (or possibly re-posted) so it's immediately picked up again (possibly by the same dorf) leading to cancellation spam and things grinding to a halt.
The typical work around for that kind of FPS killing cancellation spam is t 'f'orbid everything in the suspect area with d-b-f.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 06:21:15 pm »

Yeah, dwarfs get really greedy with all the items that become available from a cavern breach, may cause a lot of item job generation troubles.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 06:27:16 pm »

Seriously I love that avatar though.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 10:12:43 pm »

Seriously I love that avatar though.

haha thanks man, i love this avatar too. you're welcome to use it! i will try forbid everything and see if that works. i'll let you know
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 10:20:14 pm »

it kinda worked but it went back to 1 fps when i d-b-f when revealed,but when i do it when it's unrevealed, it still drops to 1 or 0 fps as if i didn't forbid anything.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:51:42 pm by justicarab »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 01:54:49 am »

d-b-* only affects visible things (I don't know how it interacts with the 'hide' flag, as I never use that).

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 06:30:42 am »

Neither forbidding or hiding the item(s) in question will help, for some insane reason even hidden and forbidden items are regularly checked for accessibility.  You'll need to either gain physical access to them or use autodump to relocate/destroy the offending articles.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.