Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At peace with the goblins after "friendly" conquering?  (Read 1056 times)

palenerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Has every disease
    • View Profile
At peace with the goblins after "friendly" conquering?
« on: March 10, 2023, 03:54:21 pm »

This is 47.05.

I got a notification that a hillock had been conquered, and that it looked to my fort for economic prosperity or something. In the map menu, I saw that the nearest hillock from my own civ had been conquered by the goblins... whom we were at peace with... and this triggered the economic link. We were at war with the goblins at embark.

Digging further, we're in an alliance with the local elf and human civs, and we're at war with the nearest tower. But when I pull up the civilizations screen, I only see my fort's civ, and the elves.

I only got the dwarven caravan the first year out of 3 so far (and the liason was a necromancer), and my first couple migrant waves were full of legendary craftsmen. After that, I've failed to attract migrants. Did the rest of my civ die, and the game is just making things up now?
Here is a drunken rendition of Sodium Chloride, it menaces with electrons. This relates to the drunkness of palenerd in Early Spring of 2023.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: At peace with the goblins after "friendly" conquering?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 02:21:22 pm »

Sorry for the late reply.

Digging further, we're in an alliance with the local elf and human civs, and we're at war with the nearest tower. But when I pull up the civilizations screen, I only see my fort's civ, and the elves.

The [c][c]ivilisations list only includes civs your fortress has had contact with so far.  I have observed that when a tower threatens civilisation, goblins may alternate between ceasefire and war yearly.  I do not know what exactly this means for you.

I only got the dwarven caravan the first year out of 3 so far (and the liason was a necromancer), and my first couple migrant waves were full of legendary craftsmen. After that, I've failed to attract migrants. Did the rest of my civ die, and the game is just making things up now?

In 0.47.05, migrants heavily depend on the news of the caravan.  If your fortress has accumulated and traded wealth, it will be smothered by dozens of migrants.  If it was poor and did little trading, only a few migrants show up.  If the caravan lost goods or got damaged, no migrants show up.  It is possible that the caravan had trouble to no fault of your own, for example because of the goblins.

An alternative explanation could be that the dwarven civilisation does not have enough population to spare for migrants.  Some dozens have to stay behind and run the existing fortresses and hillocks.