Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Smelter Reactions: Corpses/Bones  (Read 2736 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Smelter Reactions: Corpses/Bones
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 01:20:50 am »

REMAINS:NO_SUBTYPE:DWARF:NO_MATGLOSS

Haha, apparently this isn't just for vermin corpses -- when applied to fullsize creatures, it creates chunks.  That's useful.  Still not corpses, though.

If this test works, it'll be good enough... though that means I'll need serrated steel disc traps to make my blood iron, but it's a fair enough deal. Wonder if I should try [CORPSEPIECES] next.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 02:26:17 am »

SUCCESS! Not sure how to generalize the chunk/remain types just yet but it WORKS!

Next up: corpse pieces!

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 05:07:08 am »

Fire breath + ITEMCORPSE: Steel barrel = EX-TER-MI-NATE. EX-TER-MI-NATE.
If only there were a tag which prevented stair-climbing...
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 10:57:00 am »

The pages should stay separate in my opinion.  Item and matgloss tokens serve very different roles.

Yes, but you need both of them to make reactions and itemcorpses.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 11:27:05 am »

Does [REAGENT:1:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:NO_MATGLOSS] work if I want to use any kind of bone?

I tried [REAGENT:1:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:ANY] earlier on, and after my dorfs made a bone bed out of nothing, it exploded into a cloud of utter cold, killing everyone within several tiles.
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 11:39:38 am »

Does [REAGENT:1:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:NO_MATGLOSS] work if I want to use any kind of bone?

I tried [REAGENT:1:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:ANY] earlier on, and after my dorfs made a bone bed out of nothing, it exploded into a cloud of utter cold, killing everyone within several tiles.

That's most likely because, without a creature to yoink data from, it defaulted a lot of numbers to zero, including the boiling point.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Athisus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 08:32:05 pm »

Sounds (theoretically) very similar to an anti-matter explosion. I consider this a breakthrough, think of it, anti-matter traps!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 03:54:10 pm »

A crucial flaw in my bone usage: Some ethics code prevents me from using my dead dwarves' bones. :| This, after two years of fortress...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 11:55:16 pm »

Sounds (theoretically) very similar to an anti-matter explosion. I consider this a breakthrough, think of it, anti-matter traps!

Awesome idea, except for one tiny drawback, there is currently no way to stop the anti-bone from exploding instantly, so any time you want to make it you need a smelter right there. Also, every time it is created it kills whomever creates it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 12:11:45 am »

Awesome idea, except for one tiny drawback, there is currently no way to stop the anti-bone from exploding instantly, so any time you want to make it you need a smelter right there. Also, every time it is created it kills whomever creates it.

That makes it a good execution tool, if naught else.

Rename the smelter reaction to "Put head in forge".

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 02:45:48 am »

So bottom-line it here, for someone who's not particularly skilled at wading through the reaction format. I'm trying to do various things (bone to building materials/statues, sand to marbles, etc.) and seeing something like this work from someone who understands it would be really helpful.
How about a sample of code from one of your bone processes?
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 02:56:13 am »

Warlord -- had any luck with corpses yet?  It's kind of bugging me that referencing corpses is so hard.

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 03:11:21 am »

I'm really hoping reactions and customizations for the other workshops (or hell, even new workshops) get added in soon. Having to do all this at the smelter, and using very poorly-documented and especially cryptic code, proves to be very frustrating.

Also my plan to allow kobolds to make marbles is thwarted by the fact clay leaves behind no resources and, and Plan B (sand) can't be used in smelter reactions.
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 03:26:48 am »

^^^ That just got added.  We can do reactions at the kitchen, the tannery, and the alchemist's shop at the very least, and I'd be surprised if he didn't generalize it to all workshops.  Check yesterday's dev log.
Pages: 1 [2]