Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixing the description Text so it doesn't show symbols?  (Read 804 times)

Surelog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Fixing the description Text so it doesn't show symbols?
« on: October 06, 2010, 01:40:27 am »

Sorry guys, I'm sure this question has been asked but I wasn't sure how to word it right for a forum search.
Basically instead of a 'Y' I got a skull and cross bones symbol along with other letters that are being replaced.

I used the Ironhand texture pack, is there anyway to fix it?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:46:25 am by Surelog »

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing the description Text so it doesn't show symbols?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:41:19 am »

Sorry guys, I'm sure this question has been asked but I wasn't sure how to word it right for a forum search.
Basically instead of a 'Y' I got a skull and cross bones symbol along with other letters that are being replaced.

I used the Ironhand texture pack, is there anyway to fix it?
Link to the thread or whatever that you downloaded the file from, please? I would have suggested using a tileset that doesn't replace letters, but looking at the tilesets shown in http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Graphics_set_repository#Ironhand_and_Wormslayer.27s_Graphics_Pack_.28v0.48.29 and http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53180.0 there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with either of them.
Alternatively, upload the tileset you're using to imageshack or something so we can see it. Either your tileset's a bit messed up or there's something weird going on in your game :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Surelog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 01:31:59 pm »

you can see how letters are all messed up =/

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 01:37:51 pm »

Usually graphical packs come with two sets of graphics, one called something like 'min' and one something like 'max'.
Max will have as many pictures as possible, losing some letters.
Min will try not to replace any letters.
Have a look in the art folder to see if a min form is supplied, if so, change the name of the graphics used in the init file to the min setting.

I don't actually know if Ironhand's has a min feature, but i know Mayday's does, and it seems like a good idea.

Won't have to worry about this for too long though, once TrueType is all sorted out and graphics packs are up for it it'll be a worry of the past :)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:52:43 pm »

The current version of Ironhand is designed to use the new TTF support.  There are a few places that have not been converted to display the text with the TTF fonts, which is what you are seeing right there.  Unfortunately there is no way to change that aside from using an older version of the tileset.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.