Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]

Author Topic: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia III - Game over: Dark Sorcerers win again!  (Read 85707 times)

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: Sorcerer's Apprentice Mafia III - Game over: Dark Sorcerers win again!
« Reply #540 on: February 11, 2011, 11:22:00 am »

also JTF, you've got to have a replacement system for lurk-death sorcs.

other sorcs it's up to you.
The problem is that there are essentially no replacements to be found right now. I'm perfectly happy with trying to find a replacement if a player asks ahead of time, but if they just vanish then I really can't do much about it. Essentially, the goal is to make sure that people will be responsible about games that they join.

I think giving a fake set from the start would be a better idea, since a player may need it in a hurry and live in a different timezone from the moderator. That is also why I didn't consult with Irony.
Sounds reasonable. Although the scum spells are not always necessarily going to be scummy. You just had a particularly insidious bunch.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 11, 2011, 11:44:58 am »

Alternately, you can read lots of old games to get ideas for role powers.  I came up with these:

Winds of Influence:  Target has an additional vote the next day.
Winds of Revelation:  Target's alignment is revealed to you.
Winds of Change:  Everyone is blown back in time to the previous day.  The lynch is undone and no other powers have any effect this night.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:29 pm »

The problem is that there are essentially no replacements to be found right now. I'm perfectly happy with trying to find a replacement if a player asks ahead of time, but if they just vanish then I really can't do much about it. Essentially, the goal is to make sure that people will be responsible about games that they join.
True, and the strict lurking rules were supposed to prevent that:

Summary of changes
- Lurking policy has been changed to 24 hour periods, 3 strikes and you're out
However, they were not as rigorously enforced as I hoped. There was still too much lurking for my tastes, as other than Kamina, no one seemed to get warnings even when warranted. Still, I prefer the modkills to forced replacements, as it sends the right message: be responsible, or you will make your team lose.

Regarding the fakeclaim option, it's obviously up to Janus, but I'm not a fan of it. If the scum is caught in lies, they need to use cunning to escape them, not be given a free pass by the mod. A safe fakeclaim seems to me an unfair advantage given to the scum directly by the mod... let them come up with one on their own, and hang if they can't, I say.
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 11, 2011, 12:28:26 pm »

Regarding the fakeclaim option, it's obviously up to Janus, but I'm not a fan of it. If the scum is caught in lies, they need to use cunning to escape them, not be given a free pass by the mod. A safe fakeclaim seems to me an unfair advantage given to the scum directly by the mod... let them come up with one on their own, and hang if they can't, I say.
However, someone who plays SA for the first time will have no idea how powerful the spells should be, so someone who does will have an unfair advantage. I think this variant is the lesser of two evils.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #544 on: February 11, 2011, 01:12:43 pm »

However, they were not as rigorously enforced as I hoped. There was still too much lurking for my tastes, as other than Kamina, no one seemed to get warnings even when warranted. Still, I prefer the modkills to forced replacements, as it sends the right message: be responsible, or you will make your team lose.
Several people did get private warnings. No-one (other than Kamina) actually made it two periods without posting. Several were really close or posted next to no content, but I can't really judge on how valuable a post is. That's up to the players.

However, someone who plays SA for the first time will have no idea how powerful the spells should be, so someone who does will have an unfair advantage. I think this variant is the lesser of two evils.
They should read the previous (now three) rounds. I have all of the role PMs in the end of game posts. Although they might not know that, which I guess would be grounds from providing fake claims.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 11, 2011, 01:25:11 pm »

I say no to getting fake claims from the PM.

Not being able to make a fake list of spells is a players' problem, not a problem with the game itself.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #546 on: February 11, 2011, 02:01:11 pm »

Not being able to make a fake list of spells is a players' problem, not a problem with the game itself.
There are 10 examples to go on now... Hmm.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]