Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting dog won't help hunter  (Read 1892 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting dog won't help hunter
« on: June 28, 2011, 01:54:11 am »

I made a hunting dog for the first time.  My hunter is working fine, but at this very moment, he is pelting a badger while his hunting dog is just watching at his side.  The badger actually closed in for melee combat with the hunter earlier, and the dog did nothing at all :(.  On the other hand, the war dog following my woodcutter snaps at anything that dares come close. I've set the "work dogs" so that the hunting dog is indeed attached to the hunter, but is there another option I need to enable?

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting dog won't help hunter
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:10:58 am »

Strange, normally after assigned the dog to the hunter it should work.

I don't do that anymore though after a panda killed my hunter's dog and my hunter almost spiralled down into depression.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 04:43:17 am »

I believe hunting dogs merely give a bonus to the hunter's observation skill, allowing them to "see" prey from farther away.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:02:21 am »

Dogs ignore docile animals normally and will only attack enemies, predators and badgers in enraged state. I believe this is the case with your hunter - his dog sees no danger in his victims and ignores them.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:05:34 am »

Similarly assigned war animals don't attack [BENIGN] animals (like elephants or gazelles) which are engaged with combat with their masters. Enraged animals are attacked, but it is too late sometimes...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:19:42 am »

Well poop.  Ah well, the more you know!  Thanks all!