Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern Discoveries (probably spoilers)  (Read 1070 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavern Discoveries (probably spoilers)
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:05:53 pm »

I was digging down, looking for the caverns. I have an aquifer and ocean, and was going to test draining them into the caverns. After seeing what I found, though, I'm not so sure.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It looks like I found the first cavern layer, with the "downward passage" revealing the second layer, and a magma pool leading down to the magma sea.

I've heard about the passages before, but didn't think they were ever open. And I've never heard of a magma pool in this version. What have I found, and how can I best exploit it?

EDIT: Looked more at the wiki, and found that magma pools, or pipes, refill upwards when drained. That's useful.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:10:27 pm by Lectorog »

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Discoveries (probably spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:01:24 pm »

You can set up a smelting outpost with magma forges or an obsidian casting facility. Alternatively you could make a magma-fall by digging from the pool to the sea...  :o
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 04:08:46 pm »

Yeah, downward passages exist in every cavern, although they're not necessarily accessible by anything. They're more for adventurers, I'd think, since it's easier (and way safer) to dig your own passage in fort mode.

As for draining an ocean into the caverns... I hope you like slideshows.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 04:31:26 pm »

I decided to back-up, abandon, and explore in Adventure Mode. I thought it might be hard to find it in adventure mode, but it was a pocket world, so I went for it anyway.

I was definitely wrong about it being hard to find.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Yes, that's my site, stretching out into the ocean.)

EDIT: Adventuring. There's one dwarf left at my fort. A wood cutter, apparently still cutting wood. I descended into the cavern; my main stairway exited above water, but there was a short pathway to a ramp, so I figured my adventurer could take that. A tower-cap was blocking it. That's how my first adventurer died.
My second found a way around, and explored for some time. Found some downward passages, made it to the third cavern layer. I've been walking for a long time, and the only sign of life has been one olmman camp. Recruited a couple. Adventuring would be a lot easier if it weren't for these trees blocking everything. Should've put my wood chopper to work down there.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:17:27 pm by Lectorog »