Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is Toady planning to do anything with families in the near (distant) future?  (Read 699 times)

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was playing adventure mode (since I still can't figure out fortress mode yet), and was asking around about npc's families. That's when it hit me that most just kind of pop out of nowhere. Few have parents, or children, or spouses, or siblings. They're just kind of.. there.. unless they happen to be related to a historical figure somehow. Are there any plans to flesh that aspect out?

It just seems like it'd be pretty awesome to for an adventurer to have relations, or be able to talk to that butcher and find out that he's the second cousin three times removed of the old king. It seems like it'd be good for fleshing relationships out in fortress mode too, or maybe if adventurers ever have social lives.
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I assume you know about the developent page. If not,
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Some time ago it was cut down a lot, as said in the paragraphs it was becoming too tedious to manage all the notes so Toady just scrapped everything except the "short-term" goals (releases) and the other odds and ends, mostly related to adventure mode. Before the list was overhauled, Toady had a section mentioning the ability to marry as an adventurer one day. That's all I remember related to families.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile

Toady plans on changing this greatly so for example, Real historical figures join your fortresses now.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

If you want families to be more fleshed out in adventure mode, then I'd suggest you dont flush out any none essential historical characters.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually there was a time, not so long ago, where everybody would have been able to tell you about their families, and how their aunt opened some shop on the other side of the continent in 250... But after that there came to be so much people generated that the least important people had to be abstracted away for both memory and generation time issues.

So now, most commoners pretty much suffer from memory loss. Which I personnally see as a shame. I would like at the very least other answers than "I have no family to speak of", such as "Meh, it wouldn't interest you" or "Why would you want to know that ? Are you from that spanish inquisition ?".
The best would be for it to be generated when you ask, but hey, more important people have their stories.

It's kind of an interesting insight of the typical DF society. "My boy, you were designed by the gods as uninteresting. Best thing you can hope if you want to make it into history is to have your eyes gouged out by an adventurer."

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile

When I read the title my first thought was: "What, like picnics?" (Although that could be fun...  What could go wrong?)

Seriously though, I seem to recall him mentioning in DF Talks about player characters having families, and then maybe jumping ahead 20 years and playing the role of one of their kids. Just having family names would be a start, to give at least the impression of a unit.