Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Key Mapping Help  (Read 777 times)

Khronic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Key Mapping Help
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:38:14 pm »

I just got into DF and so far I love it (barring the 7 dwarves that I just accidently drowned). However I have one question about key mapping and rebinding certain keys. Currently I'm on a laptop and my "q" key is broken and in order to use it I have to bring up virtual keyboard and physically press the "q" key. That being said, one of the major keys in DF is q and having to bring up On-Screen Keyboard to add tasks and manage buildings has been getting tiring lately. I've tried to solve the problem myself through Esc -> Keybinds but I cannot find the specific bind for "Set Building Tasks/Pref." nor can I figure out the notepad file in the DF folder. If someone can point me to what I change so by pressing "\", or another key I don't use, I would be able to change a building's tasks and other fun things.

Thanks in advance and if I didn't explain the situation well enough I'll gladly explain more.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Key Mapping Help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:36:47 pm »

I believe the file you are looking to edit is /path/to/DF_Dir/data/init/interface.txt

The exact path with depend on where you put the DF directory, and your OS.  Once you get to the DF directory its all the same (yay for cross-platform coding!).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Khronic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:49:43 pm »

I believe the file you are looking to edit is /path/to/DF_Dir/data/init/interface.txt

The exact path with depend on where you put the DF directory, and your OS.  Once you get to the DF directory its all the same (yay for cross-platform coding!).

Okay I found the file, however I'm not sure what to change to make q = something else. I tried editing

[BIND:OPTION17:REPEAT_NOT]
[KEY:q]

Into

[BIND:OPTION17:REPEAT_NOT]
[KEY:b]

and then vise versa with the original b bind, but that doesn't seem to work. That so far is my only guess on what to edit and the rest of the text file is gibberish to me.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 04:29:47 am »

The particular binding you want seems to be "Key Bindings►Dwarf mode►Main: Building Jobs" (PgDn x4, ↓ x7). If you change the bindings via interface.txt, you'll need to restart before it takes effect.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:28:36 pm »

You can also use the esc-keybindings (or controls, something like that) and then replace the "q" key with something else as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

xl 4ndre lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:37:42 pm »

Another tip for using a laptop without a numberpad.  Change "move secondary selector" up from + to page up.  And down - to page down.  this makes it easier to move around in the workshop menus.

Khronic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 09:41:38 pm »

The particular binding you want seems to be "Key Bindings►Dwarf mode►Main: Building Jobs" (PgDn x4, ↓ x7). If you change the bindings via interface.txt, you'll need to restart before it takes effect.

This was exactly what I was looking for. You are life saver. Thanks x 10^7