Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: What would you do to get the final release of DF?  (Read 47127 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do to get the final release of DF?
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2013, 01:05:06 am »

So what would you do or give away to receive a final version of Dwarf Fortress? :)

I would conquer HFS on my own in real life :D

I wouldn't want the final version. I somehow lose interest in games when I know they are abandoned an there is no further development. It would annoy me to know that version would be it, and no improvements would ever be made.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2013, 01:08:02 am »

So what would you do or give away to receive a final version of Dwarf Fortress? :)

I wouldn't want the final version. I somehow lose interest in games when I know they are abandoned an there is no further development. It would annoy me to know that version would be it, and no improvements would ever be made.

But, didn't Toady say that the development of DF may as well never end and that it'll never be truly complete?
I might be and probably am wrong, but I did hear something like this.

What would we even define as a 1.0, anyway?

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2013, 01:38:23 pm »

Maybe when the updates actually hit 1.0. We're up to 0.34 right now. Only twenty more years to go.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2013, 07:04:59 pm »

But, didn't Toady say that the development of DF may as well never end and that it'll never be truly complete?
I might be and probably am wrong, but I did hear something like this.

What would we even define as a 1.0, anyway?

1.0 is when Toady's list of items for 1.0 (mentioned here (under the "werewolves" segment, right after Capntastic says "cross your fingers!") is done. You can access an (outdated, mind) version of this list here.

If I use my interpretation of the old dev list, the next release is going to be 0.41.01, maybe 0.42.01. Neat.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:09:29 pm by Putnam »

Humdilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Go Action Bastard Anti-Enema Beam!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2013, 11:14:40 pm »

When DF is done, we will be capable of transferring our consciousness into the game via adventure mode character creation. We can then live on after death in the DF simulation/game. Toady will have, by then, transferred his own consciousness into some sort of AI being secretly developed by himself. He will then oversee us forever with the title: Benevolent God of the Toads. The future's lookin' pretty sweet.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2013, 06:44:08 pm »

what if he becomes the malevolent gob of armok?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2013, 11:22:39 pm »

When DF is done, we will be capable of transferring our consciousness into the game via adventure mode character creation. We can then live on after death in the DF simulation/game. Toady will have, by then, transferred his own consciousness into some sort of AI being secretly developed by himself. He will then oversee us forever with the title: Benevolent God of the Toads. The future's lookin' pretty sweet.
"My little Dwarf: Losing is Optimal"
(see if anyone get's THAT reference. No, it's not (directly) to MLP:FiM)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2013, 07:52:45 am »

I would pray to Armok for Toadys and Threetoes eternal life and eternal interest,  so that there wouldn't be a final version, if that goes bad my hopes are that it will become open source at that point, but i'd definatly want Toady and Threetoe Immortal regardless, so they can dwell like the dragons over lesser game developers for eternity.

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2013, 10:03:08 am »

I dunno how I feel about that.  Permadeath is bad enough IRL, don't know if I'd like my life tied to a DF generated one :P.  Sometimes they get pretty brutal

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »

Nothing; playing it would cause my weak mortal brain to explode (not to mention the hell it would do to my computer).
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

MeTekillot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2013, 09:16:20 pm »

One day, decades in the future, I'm going to jack into my computer terminal and browse the extra-web. A notification from one of my children will invite me to their wedding and right below that, I'll receive an email notification of dwarf fortress's final release. I will be missing the wedding.

Urist_McSwitzer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2013, 06:17:17 am »

One day, decades in the future, I'm going to jack into my computer terminal and browse the extra-web. A notification from one of my children will invite me to their wedding and right below that, I'll receive an email notification of dwarf fortress's final release. I will be missing the wedding.
Your comment, sir, is the very definition of devotion and awesomeness.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2013, 12:26:07 pm »

I would kiss an elf.

Whoa whoa whoa, I understand we all want it (and by want I mean lustfully desire it) but let's be careful lest Toady Armok smite us with his own fist.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2014, 10:07:23 pm »

I would kiss an elf.

Whoa whoa whoa, I understand we all want it (and by want I mean lustfully desire it) but let's be careful lest Toady Armok smite us with his own fist.
Who wouldn't want to kiss an elf?

I mean sure, we are politically inclined to want to slaughter them, but they do have some very fine women that they bring as merchants. (They're especially portrayed very well in most fan-art made by people...)
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2014, 10:14:08 pm »

I'd swear off killing elves for a year. And give him every last one of my artifacts, all the way from the turkey bone sceptre, up to the slade war hammer.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6