Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just watched the Boy in the Striped Pajama's today...  (Read 8002 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Just watched the Boy in the Striped Pajama's today...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 12:53:39 pm »

I seem to be only person who plays this game ethically  :P

Of course, I get to watch my dwarfs all die horribly when I fail and I fail often.

You fail because you can't sacrifice the few for the good of the many.

The weak and stupid are not wanted. They are undesirable and must be destroyed for the good of a master dwarven race.

Bonus points if blatant hipocrisy runs rampant: the supreme ruler is not in fact, a pureblooded dwarf, his sister is batshit crazy but is not immediately euthanized, and the standard of excellence is a moving goalpost.

Throw in a mass sterilization program, and nationalist hysteria, and you have yourself a winner!

(Godwin for the win!)

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 01:08:30 pm »

Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 02:11:40 pm »

Woah, Godwin's law :p

Ok, but nah, if you find a use for every Dwarf you have no need to senselessly send them to their deaths.

Still, if you're hesitating to, just remember that each one of those Dwarfs would let the entire fort die if it meant they weren't thirsty.

Then pull the lever.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 03:49:43 pm »

I seem to be only person who plays this game ethically  :P

Of course, I get to watch my dwarfs all die horribly when I fail and I fail often.

Nonsense. All of my fortresses are overseen with unquestionable care and benevolence.

Sure I could see them all as nothing but pixels and programs, but that makes for some pretty shit stories and boring gameplay. Imagining their backround, personality, preferences, relationships and watching how they grow and learn in the little virtual environment around them, that's how truly awe-inspiring tales are made.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 03:54:45 pm »

I'm ethical! If you don't counter danger room abortions, large mammal/migrant drops into dining rooms and modding my dorfs so eating sapients is acceptable and then the elves cease to get any diplomats back...mmm diplomat soap.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 04:04:39 pm »

...Sigged.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 04:14:46 pm »

No, the nazis come every spring.... why do you think everyone hates their tall, blue eyed, blonde haired capricious asses?

Its kharma I tell you!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 05:10:50 pm »

Just look at the similarities!
When we don't like a dwarf, we drown him.

When we think there MAY be a possibility of doing something totally unbelieavable, we don't hesitate in sacrificing a bunch of dorfs to achieve it (or prove it's not possible still not reachable)

We exterminate EVERYONE who is not a dwarf. Those who are not exterminated live only for their mild usefullness as flux providers or whatever.

I'm waiting for the day when a megaproject will consist of making a bunch of Tiger tanks with fortifications and catapults for cannons and reconstruction for the tracks.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Snail Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 06:30:45 pm »

I guess it was only a matter of time before a DF Auschwitz made its way onto the forums. What do you do? Gas them with miasma until they go berserk?

There was a thread a while back about dwarven gas chambers. The boiling point of zinc is lower than magma, resulting in a zinc cloud that quickly killed dwarves. You put a bunch of zinc crafts under a floor of grates and pump magma onto it for a death chamber.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 07:31:42 pm »

You could always just stick with the old fallback - lock your important dwarves inside and let the useless ones starve/provide seige fodder.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 07:40:18 pm »

My laziness is my dwarves' salvation. I can never be bothered to create death chambers.

And if you factor in the meaning of !!FUN!!, DF is all about the more the merrier.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.
Pages: 1 [2]