Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: An Aussieguy Device - The Magma Doorstop  (Read 24697 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: An Aussieguy Device - The Magma Doorstop
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 08:25:54 am »

Floor over the river with lignite?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 01:14:41 pm »

That poor, poor planter.

Also, flooring over the river would work.

Nope - Cant build within 4 (or thereabouts) squares of the map edge

There should still be enough distace to the map edge to build a small, narrow "bridge" over the river.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 09:07:53 pm »

That poor, poor planter.

There should still be enough distace to the map edge to build a small, narrow "bridge" over the river.

And magma will still flow past that and cast the edge of the map in obsidian, ruining the river permanently

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 12:20:55 am »

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can build bridges all the way out to the map edge. Not 100% sure though, just like I'm not 100% sure that's the problem you're describing.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 12:23:32 am »

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can build bridges all the way out to the map edge. Not 100% sure though, just like I'm not 100% sure that's the problem you're describing.

Just had a look and you can indeed build a bridge all the way to the map edge.  Still not going to put some sort of magma weapon on that side of the river as it would still cast at least part of it in obsidian and probably dam it up.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 01:14:34 am »

I thought you just wanted to set fire to the other side?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 07:30:25 pm »

That poor, poor planter.

You can build floors ON the map edge. Walls are buggered though.

Seriously, try it. I know my above ground fortressy stuff :P

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 07:47:06 pm »

awesome death trap you got there. :)

on pressurizing magma, you need to understand how pressurization works.

when a pump pumps a chunk of magma, it will teleport it to the nearest open space on the level of the pump that has a path from the pump face.

to get a high pressure situation, you need something like this:

############
#..........#
#%%%%%%%%%%#
#%%%%%%%%%%###
#+++++++++++++
##############

Then when the magma pumps from the channel to the north of the pumps, it will all teleport out the mouth on the east side of the diagram. with a sufficient supply of magma, this will reach several squares out from the mouth before gravity asserts itself and causes the magma to fall down (gravity checks every 3-4 ticks, pumps pump on every tick, unless pumps have been toned down since last I played around with pumps.)

Admittedly, it's been over a year since I messed with magma and pressure, so I might well be wrong ab out this...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 08:22:48 pm »

I've had weird experiences with pumps and magma. As part of the 'screw the next player over' succession game, part of my trap involved slowly filling up (the partly sealed off top part of) the volcano until it overflowed and started melting the fort down. It turned out there were some holes in the seal I hadn't noticed, and the magma fell down to the bottom part of the volcano. This inexplicably caused magma to start gushing out of some holes in the ground down in the caverns, presumably driven by the pressure from above as nothing else changed in the system. I admit this isn't exactly a well controlled experiment though.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far
Pages: 1 2 [3]