Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About human fortresses...  (Read 1532 times)

HySh777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About human fortresses...
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:42 am »

Is it common for a 500-year old world to have nearly literally EVERY fortress totally devoid of civilized life?

Last 3 worlds. Exact same story.

This recent world, however, I made a beeline for the capital and found ONE person there, the law-giver. I went back into the town and discovered nearly every shopkeeper was gone, too.

It this common? Or am I just getting unlucky and every major human town is getting destroyed by dragons? (I checked Legacy.)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: About human fortresses...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:38:24 am »

Hmm, that does happen to me a lot in long running worlds.

It really matters on how many mega beasts there was in the beginning  :P I've noticed on some of my 2 year worlds(I figured out I avoid dwarf and kobold starvation by playing on them) that if you put too many mega beats, even on year one 99% civilization in legends mode seem to be dead because every person in starting town got devoured by a dragon.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:55:10 am »

I think there might be 2 factors here :

1 Game bugs : Seems some towns can "lose" their population then when you come back later they are fully populated again. Seems it depends on which direction you enter town from. Other Bugs might also have occured where new owners of the town after having won an battle just don't reside there and so on.
If the Shops are populated with items and so on , then it's more likely its that kind of bug I guess.

2 Destroyed town through world generation : Shouldnt be populated , no doors and so on. Pretty distinct from the "bugged towns" .

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 04:06:39 pm »

Meh, if the human villages are completely devoid of life they're gone for good. Fortresses have been known to be buggy :P

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:50:24 pm »

Well, let's see how things are in the new version coming out. There've been huge updates to adventure mode. I have to admit, the empty human fortresses are super-irritating in adventure mode.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »

In my last game I ended up embarking out of a civilization that had no notable leaders to speak of, so I wasn't getting any nobles. So I regened the world with more history tacked on this time then checked the history files. 400 yrs of history and upon checking the nobility lines, theres like 80 kings per race cause they all keep dying on the year they are put in office, or they rule for 10 years and die.

I set the world with a lot more megabeasts/titans/caves than usual, with increased savagery cause I wanted more evil zones.

Can you fix the insta-deaths by ramping up the civ-sites number in world-gen? Or max pop?