Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recognizing Caves?  (Read 1395 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Recognizing Caves?
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:48:43 pm »

I want to embark on a place that has caves, how can I recognize them?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

SkillageFTW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recognizing Caves?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 11:04:39 pm »

Almost every site I believe has caves.  What is in them, however, varies.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:10:34 pm »

I'm assuming you mean the small caves on the surface that you sometimes find, not the large caverns that are everywhere if you dig far enough down?  The only reliable way I know of to find them is to first play adventure mode, ask people in town about the surroundings repeatedly until some caves are visible on your map.  Note where the caves are on the local and world map, then retire your adventurer and then embark in fortress mode on that location.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:23:24 pm »

I'm assuming you mean the small caves on the surface that you sometimes find, not the large caverns that are everywhere if you dig far enough down?  The only reliable way I know of to find them is to first play adventure mode, ask people in town about the surroundings repeatedly until some caves are visible on your map.  Note where the caves are on the local and world map, then retire your adventurer and then embark in fortress mode on that location.

That, or if it isn't too late use advanced world parameters and set it to always show caves.